Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Getting back into a VR4 ... help wanted

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Pyro

Pyro

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Hey guys,

Spotted a nice j-spec vr4 on carsales, went and had a look at it today not too bad.. nice and clean fairly stock.

Noticed at idel the engine check light came on and when reved went off again, wondering if it has a oil pressure issue??

The guy said that it's a normal problem for the check light to come on, he said it was something to do with the afm or something along those lines, thoughts??

Didn't seem to be miss treated, has had a bit of work done to it, head, front diff, timing belt etc replaced/reconditioned.

Any one know the car??

here's the link, any help would be appreciated.

http://www.carsales....e_id=85&trecs=6

Cheers
we all love the 4g63

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
id be a bit worried,it says in the add that its a 3 cylinder turbo!

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

Pyro

Pyro

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
hahaha, I'm fairly sure that was just a typo. It seem to go ok for a 3cyl hahah!

but yes, I am a little concerned about the check light issue, is it the oil pressure light as well or does that run off a different light/sensor?
we all love the 4g63

Jonson

Jonson

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
If it was oil pressure the oil light would be coming on, not the check engine light.

If it is at idle, then goes off when RPM increases it sounds like the ECU is picking up poor charge rate from the Alternator. It sounds a bit suss that he said it's "normal" Obviously it is not normal for any car to throw Engine lights.

This is just me, but there are a few things that put me off it straight away.
1. The dodgy ass BOV install (means he is a backyarder)
2. Extra wiring messy everywhere with white zipties (white zipties are cheaper, which means he is a tightass backyarder)
3. The silver speedo surround and mesh in front bar makes me think he likes fucking around with things....god know what else you'll find.
4. He calls it a timing chain....so he is a tight ass backyarder that doesnt know a thing about the car he is working on.

This is how I think, it's how I've been taught to look at cars in my apprenticeship.

But, its a good price, so even if you do find some dodgy shit it could be a good car. Obviously doing a compression test and thourough roadtest will tell you more.

Edited by Jonson, 11 August 2008 - 01:22 PM.

olly

olly

has no car :(

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
talk about being harsh haha
not quite a gsr, not quite an evo

Pyro

Pyro

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Yer that was my impression too, he seemed to not really be the type to do work himself, he did show me a big wad of reciepts of work thats been done to it... So like you said even if there are a few things that need ironing out its still a good base to start with.

I agree with every thing you said, I'm also worried about if he's taken the dash out to paint, what could of stopped him winding back the clock too... or that could of been done b 4 it was complianced, then there is no real way to know the true k's on the engine, it just seems a bit low for me, looking at the steering wheel and gear knob wear... could be wrong though.

That being said the 4g63 have proven to be a fairly strong engine, plus it didn't have any great knocks or rattles when ideling..

The alternator has been replaced with a factory one, so that shouldn't be an issue you would think..

Still umming and errring about it.. was great to be back in a 4' again though!!! :D
we all love the 4g63

mattrat

mattrat

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
umm i seen that car a few weeks ago, why the hell is the bov in that location, does it make any difference?

Dean

Dean

• Moderators
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC
that bov is hilarious!! lol
4G93T No More

Pyro

Pyro

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
I doubt it has n e real peformance gain or any gain at all infact to be in that position, obviously a not very well thought out modifactation..

It wouldn't take much to get rid of that though.
we all love the 4g63

Pyro

Pyro

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Does any one know of n e other j-specs floating around SA for sale atm around the $7 > $7.5 mark?
we all love the 4g63

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
It actually looks like he has the stock bov still in there too. And it seems to have a facelift boot garnish too.

mattrat

mattrat

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
you could look interstate, what would it be to ship, maybe 500 max???
and you could have a much wider array, when i go to buy my vr4 in a year or so ill most definately buy one from interstate just cause there are so many more, and to bring some more to SA :P

Pyro

Pyro

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Yer thats a good idea, but i'm worried about the compliance issues that I'll have to go through, finding one is sa would be much more hassle free I think.
we all love the 4g63

mattrat

mattrat

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
didnt think of that, very true

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
Buy hepil's AMG VR4. Best value vr4 in Australia right now!

Jonson

Jonson

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
^^ What I was about to say, bring it over, borrow some wheels and stock gear and put it thorugh a rego check. That car deserves to be back home in SA.

I wasn't trying to be harsh....it's just my professional opinion. I'm considering selling mine but I'd be wanting more than 7.5k. Bang for your buck you really can't go past a VR4. I'll keep an ear out for ya.

Pyro

Pyro

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Yer it's very tempting hey!!

Why so cheap I wonder?

Jonson- cheers mate, appreciate it! Don't sell, you'll regret it like me!
we all love the 4g63

mattrat

mattrat

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
ahha my mates considering hepils vr4 too, just doesnt know yet..
i got some stocko ggsr rims that you can put on to go through regnecy if it comes to that,
Matt

Pyro

Pyro

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Cheers mate, I'll keep that in mind!
we all love the 4g63

Pyro

Pyro

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Well i've sold my car, going to have a serious look at this silver one tomorrow...

Test drives and what not ahoyy..

Could be an owner of another 4 tomorrow, yeeewwww, not getting my hopes up though.

Will keep you posted, by the way, what is it exactly, pre face lift? face lift??
we all love the 4g63

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users