Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

LSD into AWS pumpkin

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

WRCVR4

WRCVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC
Might be looking at getting this done, once i get another Mech LSD :roll:
Current ride: '99 GTO
Old ride: EVO VI
Old ride: JSpec VR4

doommachine

doommachine

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA
If you find a place that sells them, tell me who, we'll compare notes :D

WRCVR4

WRCVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC

If you find a place that sells them, tell me who, we'll compare notes :D

CVAP do ? (EVO ones)

doommachine

doommachine

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA
Ah.. different diff, the one you sold slots straight in to the VR4 3-bolt housing... the evo diff needs 4 bolt axles. Also I am only 98% sure the evo diff will fit into a 3 bolt housing... I think realistically the only place you could get an early RS mech LSD is new zealand.. adelaide jap laughed when I ask how often they find them in japan.

WRCVR4

WRCVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC
I thought Andrew wrote in a post somewhere, he could set one up with 3.545 and 3bolt :? Have you asked him ??

doommachine

doommachine

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA
No, a NZ guy on the US VR4 forums was telling me how he added an evo3 LSD to his 3 bolt pumpkin, but the 3 bolt inner stubs were too small, so he used 4 bolt axles.

WRCVR4

WRCVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC
Can we use 4bolt inner stubs (diff end) and 3bolt outer (wheel end) ?

I do have a set of 3Bolt Mech LSD shafts/cv's

doommachine

doommachine

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA
Nope.

http://vfaq.com/proj...t/4bolt-011.jpg

http://vfaq.com/proj...t/4bolt-012.jpg

The entire axle is a different design.

3 bolt mech LSD axles should be the same.

As far as 4 bolt axles, you can get them from any second gen DSM, so long as its an open diff/mech LSD it will be the right size/length. Obviously shipping from the US won't be particularly cheap but.. probably less overall than getting them from a wrecker here, if you can even find them.

Yes, you can use the Evo 1-3 LSDS in the 3bolt pumpkin, but you need the EVO stub axles (it appears that the front right stubaxle/tripod tulip MAY be the same as the Evo (mech) LSD rear, minus the axleseal flange thingy), and the 4bolt axle and "4bolt" flange. You can't use a complete Evo axle.

WRCVR4

WRCVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC
So your saying i can use my 3bolt Mech LSD axles with a EVO centre ?

Looking at the pics, the stubs are short like the 4bolt ones? (Diff end)

doommachine

doommachine

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA
No, the 3 bolt axle inner is too small for an evo diff. Also, if you look at the pics I posted, the 4 bolt axle has a large inner cup (4 bolt is on the left) and a small outer, the 3 bolt has a small inner cup and a large outer. The two axles are incompatible.

You can use evo inners with 4 bolt outers, but not a complete evo axle.

To do the conversion to an evo mech LSD you need a 3/4 bolt housing, 4 bolt axles plus the diff itself. If you can't get 4 bolt inners (people still break them) you can substitute for evo inners. If you want to run 3.545 the VR4 crownwheel does bolt onto the evo diff.

doommachine

doommachine

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA

And.. thread.. necromancy!!!

I have (as I believe others have) successfully installed an evo 3 LSD into my VR4 pumpkin. For reference ..

Parts required:

- I recommend highly the 3sx AWS delete kit. Fits perfectly on the galant, the front rack line blanking bolt does not leak at all (it is custom lathed I believe). The bloke who did my last wheel alignment was also impressed by the toe adjustment arms as far as ease of adjusting the toe.

- A couple of rubber blanking pieces for the power steering reservoir- (I took the removed rear steering hoses to a rubber supply store)

- 4 bolt axles + cups The cost of "LSD" 4 bolt axles is steep in the US, I suggest viscous LSD axles. Price + availability.

- Evo 3 inner axle cups. Come up on ebay surprisingly often.

- New evo rear inner CV boots (meek had them)

- evo3 LSD unit.

If your rear diff is in good condition you should be able to swap the galant crownwheel onto the diff centre and be pretty close to backlash spec. Mine was trashed, unfortunately, and I had to get it rebuilt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users