Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fitting jdm vr4 intercooler to a cc gsr lancer

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

gsrt085

gsrt085

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationNorthside Melbourne
Hi all,
just wanting to know any info on fiiting vr4 jdm cooler to cc gsr lancer with standard bar. i did see some pics on this web site i think of somebody who has done this. it didn't look like the bar was car out two much or alot of work to fit it. Can anybody confirm this??

cheers

gsrt085

gsrt085

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
somebody??

olly

olly

has no car :(

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
i think with any front cooler on the stock gsr front bar you will need to cut it back.

i had a 600x300 cooler with the stock gsr front bar, and there wasn't much cutting out.. i forgot to add you also had to cut some of the radiator support, but since vr4 coolers are smaller i doubt i will have to go that far..

Posted Image
Posted Image
not quite a gsr, not quite an evo

gsrt085

gsrt085

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for that Olly.
Just a quick one, why have you cut more of the bar on one side? Does the intercooler not sit on the rad support evenly or was that for the piping??

also, did you run the piping on the passenger side as an evo over the cooler and enter through the rad on the same side as the other pipe or did you cut a hole in rad support and come straight through over the exhaust manifold?

Did you still have your thermo fan mounted on the front of radiator for aircon?

cheers

olly

olly

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
[quote]why have you cut more of the bar on one side?[/quote]
i don't know why, but it did sit in the middle..
Posted Image
i got an e2 bar now so it wont help much, but u can see its in the middle..

[quote]Does the intercooler not sit on the rad support evenly or was that for the piping??[/quote]
since i had a 600x300 cooler, it was too long.. i had to set the cooler back or else they would of cut too much of the front bar off.. i don't have my radiator support anymore i think.. ill have a look tomo and take some pics..

[quote]also, did you run the piping on the passenger side as an evo over the cooler and enter through the rad on the same side as the other pipe or did you cut a hole in rad support and come straight through over the exhaust manifold?[/quote]
straight over the manifold.
Posted Image

[quote]Did you still have your thermo fan mounted on the front of radiator for aircon?[/quote]
yup, still got both thermos on my car..
[/quote]

JSTYLE

JSTYLE

I AM THEEE DYNO QUEEN!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
i think ill be doing this modfication to my gsr.. i might do a step by step process.

Jon
Name: Jon
Current Rides:
My06 Evolution IX 12.11 @ 113mph 252kw (street weight)
1997 Proton Satria GLi (daily)
Previous Rides
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer GSR 4G93T 200kw @ hubs 12.1 @ 115.5mph
1992 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 1 (CD9A) 225kw, 20g, stock ecu, hks 264s 12.050 @ 116.5mph OHH YERRR

gsrt085

gsrt085

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
yeh that would be good, Jon, couple of other guy on forum are doing this also. be good to see different ways of mounting and pipe config.

Olly who made your cooler pipes,look magic. DId you cut hole in rad for pipe to go through?
also you you have a pod filter under that heat sheild, who made that sheild look also good.

cheers

olly

olly

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
i dont think i cut a hole through the rad support.. when i get my car back, i'll post some more pics..

the piping i got from EAS Performance in Airport West. if you do get it from there check to see they've put everything back on afterwards. :P

as for the heat shield. it's an apexi one, came with my pod.. :D

gsrt085

gsrt085

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
cool that would be great,
What did EAS charge you for the piping, how much did they do. from throttle to turbo?

JSTYLE

JSTYLE

I AM THEEE DYNO QUEEN!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts
i just fitted one onto my gsr... took about 1.5hr to do include mounting up the piping.. its abit of a C$NT to do.. and u have to shave/slice off abit of the bumper reo and also plastic.. ill post pics later.. but u cant really see it behind the bulky ass bumper...

also response has improved dramatically!

Jon
Current Rides:
Previous Rides
1992 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 1 (CD9A) 225kw, 20g, stock ecu, hks 264s 12.050 @ 116.5mph OHH YERRR

danielb

danielb

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Sweet, cant wait for pics. Wanting to do this to mine too.

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

i just fitted one onto my gsr... took about 1.5hr to do include mounting up the piping.. its abit of a *the 'C' word* to do.. and u have to shave/slice off abit of the bumper reo and also plastic.. ill post pics later.. but u cant really see it behind the bulky ass bumper...

also response has improved dramatically!

Jon

What sections of piping did you use? Bit of EVO, bit of GSR, or bit of GSR and bit of VR4??

I'm keen for this mod behind the std bumper......

Also, jonny, do you rekon an EVO 1-3 I/C will fit in there behind the stock bumper??

:D

dre

JSTYLE

JSTYLE

I AM THEEE DYNO QUEEN!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts
cold side:

misc 10cm metal pipe (cut from VR4 metal piping)
GSR 90 degree bend

hot side:

- turned the GSR elbow facing the passengers side
- used the VR4 over the manifold rubber section..
- used about 10cm of straight metal pipe
- used gsr 90 degree bend
- used vr4 90 degree bend
- cut VR4 90 degree bend pipe

took about 1.5hrs of installing not to mention grinding away at the bar.
i havent cut the big section in the middle out because i havent yet.. dont know if i will.. but it does restrict flow..

the car runs soo much better..and it goes faster :P

Evo 1 - 3 i dont think will fit behind the bumper unless your going to do alot of hacking.. i had to do about 25mins of hacking to fit the VR4 one in cos it was a touch too tall.

Jon
Current Rides:
Previous Rides

gsrt085

gsrt085

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
hey Jon,
got those pics of the cooler on your gsr yet really keen to see??

NFG

NFG

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Digging up an old thread instead of starting another one....

Has anyone had any luck fitting a front mount behind the standard GSR bar while retaining the air conditioning? I've been having abit of a poke around to see the space available, and I can't see how I'd get a front mount in there without taking out the air con condenser.

I don't need a huge front mount, as I'm only pushing 250hp or so out of the 1.8

Anyone managed to get a front mount in behind the standard bar without losing their air con?

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPomona, Sunshine Coast, QLD
Something that’s short but wide would fit, 400x200 or something would probably fit
  • NFG likes this

NFG

NFG

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Something that’s short but wide would fit, 400x200 or something would probably fit

I know that when I was looking at boosting my CE mirage, 550x180x65 was the size I was looking at as they fit well behind the mirage bumper (there was a few boosted mirages running that size cooler). Any idea if something that size work for the GSR?

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
Probably would, the length isn’t really an issue, it’s the height.

With that length though you’d have to bring the hot side through under the lower radiator support or run it right around in front of the wheel and under the chassis rail.
  • NFG likes this

NFG

NFG

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I guess I'd have no chance of an evo 1-3 cooler and piping fitting and not fouling anything, right?

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
Yea doubt it, I think it’d hang too low for the gsr bar and also the intercooler pipe that runs over the top would be in the way of the grille for sure
  • NFG likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users