Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

4G93 Vs 4G63 turbo spooling

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Spetz

Spetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Hi everyone,

I have a CE coupe which I take to Winton for fun.

It currently has an FTO V6 in it so performance is adequate but as I am interested in handling I think it may be a disadvantage to have it due to weight at the front.

I have toyed with the idea of going 4 cylinder turbo, specifically the 4G93T from a CM5A.

Just wondering how well do these engines spool turbos up?
I am not interested in huge power (200kw at the front wheels is more than enough and will likely only run about 170-180kw) but good response is important.

So, an Evo 5 4G63 will likely make 200kw at the front wheels on the stock turbo and hit full boost by 3,000rpm (I assume?).

What would a 4G93T need as far as rpm to spool that same turbo to make the same power?

I understand the 1.8 will need more boost and likely cannot handle that power with a stock bottom end but the thing I am trying to figure out here is purely how much extra lag will the 1.8 have to gain the same type of performance as the 2.0.

Reasons I would like to avoid a 4G63 are primarily weight, cost, and of course complexity of installation.

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPomona, Sunshine Coast, QLD
I’ve only got experience with cc 4g93’s but they are essentially the same engine, just mirrored. Mine is a stock 4g93t with evo turbo td05 16g and evo 560 cc injectors, ecu is a early link plug in and it’s had a quick tune and runs 10psi, it only makes 180hp so far but that’s awd at the wheels. It’s a little laggy in the really low revs but is basically full boost at or just after 3k rpm, the fact that I have no BOV probably doesn’t help the lag.

Awd drive train loss is more than 2wd so for you, you’d hope for maybe 190-200 hp at the wheels, I’m yet to go back and have it bumped up to 15psi and have him go back over the tune so squeeze a bit more out of it.

I reckon if you ran a ce 4g93t with all evo bolt ons, bigger fuel pump, converted to speed density, had a tuneable ecu (aftermarket or evo 5-6 for example) and ran 15-18 psi you would see 180 or so kw at the fronts and would see boost before 2500 rpm and full boost by 4000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spetz

Spetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Thanks Ian,

What is 16g capable of powerwise?

And would you know at what rpm the 4G63 spools that up?

I think the CC and CE 4G93T are more or less identical, just mirrored as you said.
But the 4G63 would be quite different and I believe newer versions have an easier time of spooling turbos than the CC variants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users