Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Second hand or KAAZ rear LSD?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

My rear LSD is started making horrible clunks under power while turning corners, so I've been looking at my options. I'm assuming the centre will be damaged so am looking at a replacement. I can get a used evo LSD from Malaysia for about $300 which is a lucky dip or spend $1300 on a KAAZ 1.5 way and know it will be right. I've got about half the parts for a 400 - 450 hp atw stroker build under my bed that I'm adding to as funds become available, so if money was no object I'd go straight for the KAAZ, but (I guess I'm just wishing here) if I could get a good used centre and drop it in with minimal fuss I'd happilly spend the spare 1K on valve train parts. Thoughts?

Edited by LumpyVR4, 08 January 2019 - 02:00 AM.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney

I'm running a KAAZ front LSD that I bought new. Honestly the best money I spent. 

I got mine from these guys and they did me a pretty good price...

https://www.mdspares.com.au/

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

Meek had some good second hand stock LSDs about 2 years ago. I bought one and put it in my E1 when he rebuilt the box. 

CanadianCD9A

CanadianCD9A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

I'd take a Cusco RS or known good Evo 1-9 rear LSD over a Kaaz. 

Cusco ($), Ralliart ($$) and OS Giken ($$$) make the best rear diffs. A well set-up OEM is just short of that level. I consider Kaaz, ATS, etc to be a tier below.

I'd pick this one up first, assuming they actually have it at this price: https://www.rhdjapan...r-lsd-cz4a.html

Can't beat the OEM's homologated rally version in a 20-plate configuration. You might want to de-tune it a bit if you see track use.

Edited by CanadianCD9A, 12 January 2019 - 03:21 AM.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney

You consider KAAZ a tier below factory?

Have you used a KAAZ?

CanadianCD9A

CanadianCD9A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Well set-up factory, i.e. a stock diff built by TRE or similar. Many professional teams use the OEM diff with proper tuning.

chez00

chez00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

The stock LSD is junk. The ductile cast iron housing stretches and causes backlash/runout issues; the carrier bearing journals fret and allow the carrier bearings to spin, and the stock breakaway of 20-40Nm is pretty tame and drops off quickly with spirited use. There is no comparison between a proper LSD and the OEM unit.

The new gen ATS billet chromoly bodies are much better than their earlier models. I now consider the ATS carbon hybrid range to be the best in the Mitsubishi range. Cusco and Kaaz are excellent too, just a little more likely to clunk and bang even when bedded in unless the clutch pack is reshuffled away from 100% factory setting.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney

I wasn't going to comment further on this because I haven't had any experience with factory Mitsubishi LSD's

That is my experience with the KAAZ though, it is quite violent and shudders at low speeds on the factory locked setting, even though it's bedded in now. But you can't be the traction it provides, especially over the FWD open diff I had before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users