Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Retrofitting Late Model OEM Stereo's

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I have peaked my curiosity and have a 2013 lancer stereo at my work im thinking of whacking in the galant. Factory touchscreen, bluetooth, GPS etc etc. Nice unit.

How much pain am i going to be in trying to wire this thing into an HG over a simple aftermarket double din? I can get wiring diagrams, plugs and bit of loom etc but whether its worth it or not money wise is a different story as id be paying an auto electrician to put it in most likely.

Has anyone here attempted anything like this before? Are there any hiccups/suggestions/advice for me before i plunge into it or am i going to be a guinea pig?

Cheers

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPomona, Sunshine Coast, QLD
If you can get a loom pigtail and a wiring diagram it should be doable, there could be the issue of needing a security code for it? And also whether it does any communicating with other electrics in the original car?

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
Also the gps usually isn’t ‘in’ the headunit. There would probably be a gps module and an antenna of some sort for it for run.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

ive got the wreck at work still so i can get anything required plug wise etc ive got the VIN and can get the code etc if necessary from mitsi, but i have no idea if it needs to talk to other electrics in the car or if i can hard wire it around it etc. Thats probably going to be a possible hurdle i wont be able to predict until its too late

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

This is the stereo wiring diagram for the new stereo. I recognize most of the pin outs and can get basic radio functions if i wired it myself, but would want someone who knows what theyre doing to wire up more than basic sound. Does this tell anyone here anything that may hiccup this operation?

Attached Thumbnails

• Wiring.jpg

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Looks like heres the galant diagram

https://www.the12vol...etail/1551.html

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
That wiring diagram doesn’t look too scary, look like you’d have most functions, didn’t see anything about gps though

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I think im veering away from fitting a factory unit. While it does generically fit into a double din slot the face panel which is about an inch thick is actually bigger and would stick out. Few other minor things but value wise its not the best choice. Id be gambling that it would even get past a lockout and for that investment probably best to pony up another hundy or so and get a nice aftermarket option. Ill have to see if i can find a decent unit second hand for the right price

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
I have a double din Sony that I was planning to go back to a single din. It doesn’t have Bluetooth or gps but has USB, aux and a reverse camera input. And I think (?) you can buy the gps upgrade kit for it, you have to look into that.

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

Two friends of mine run Automotive superstore, an online parts supplier. Tell them (Babak or Jeff) Chris sent you and hopefully they'll give you a good price!

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Also dealt with Babak recently.
Top bloke.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users