Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Light flywheel pros /cons

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Have been wondering for some time now as to weather I should install one in my Starion.

I hear stories that they make the car/motor more responsive and help it come on boost sooner due to it revving faster when powering out of corners etc

Would appreciate informed first hand info :)

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Every advantage outweighs the disadvantage.
Disadvantages include rougher idle, and easier to stall. Fix either with more revs!

Reducing rotating mass is twice as effective as non rotating mass.
I have one in my ute. I dont notice it, but im turbo free at moment. However i did put one in a wrx and certainly noticed that change.

Do it oldie.

Not sure why my writing is small on full version. Im on phone. Sorry

Edited by jack be nimble, 07 April 2018 - 10:22 PM.

4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Definitely worth doing. Less rotating mass is a good thing. Most OE flywheels are the mass they are to enable comfortable and easy driving for the masses.
"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Starion VR4 Derek

Starion VR4 Derek

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBurrum Heads

Rad mate, 1st had experience in a Staz, Josh Staz I borrowed & managed 240kph in it... 3 weeks later clutch went, Josh wanted me to lighten it.. which i did, 18Lb's from memory... all he could get out of can was 180kph. You may say isolated case... NO.. Craig's Staz ( you know which one Rad) that I built... we had billet flywheel made, 1st was 18Lb's as he was told it would work... I Insisted on 22-24Lb's, after $1500 & 2 flywheels guess which one he is using??? 22.5Lb's. In a Turbo car with low displacement it makes a big difference, in a 5L V8 on methanol... not so much.

Both Josh & I will never go down the road of lighten flywheels for a Staz.... Period.

That's my 2c Worth

Edited by Derek, 08 April 2018 - 12:16 PM.

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

do it

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Id suggest to buy a light one rather than machine a factory one. Exploding steel right next to my ankles doesnt appeal to me.
Get the aluminium, or the light steel one if they are available.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
http://www.dsmtuners...lywheel.474740/

Auspec vr4 (sorry mate, dont know your name) had issues with his stock one.

I had a mate in a xr8 pop his flywheel at big speed. Destroyed everything- broken windscreen, holes in bonnet, buckled firewall. Dont think he could hear the clutch slipping in top gear, over the stereo...thought redline in top was cool..

Edited by jack be nimble, 09 April 2018 - 01:00 PM.

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Rad mate, 1st had experience in a Staz, Josh Staz I borrowed & managed 240kph in it... 3 weeks later clutch went, Josh wanted me to lighten it.. which i did, 18Lb's from memory... all he could get out of can was 180kph. You may say isolated case... NO.. Craig's Staz ( you know which one Rad) that I built... we had billet flywheel made, 1st was 18Lb's as he was told it would work... I Insisted on 22-24Lb's, after $1500 & 2 flywheels guess which one he is using??? 22.5Lb's. In a Turbo car with low displacement it makes a big difference, in a 5L V8 on methanol... not so much.

Both Josh & I will never go down the road of lighten flywheels for a Staz.... Period.

That's my 2c Worth

Hi Derek Lee Thomas has also advised to stay with the billet stock weight Flywheel he made for me

Had a call from Craig asking if I had any bells left so he could fit an RX box but have none left. Told him that Dave had a bell for sale  that fitted a W series box.

Have you settled in  @ Harvey Bay ??and working still ??

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I've had an alloy light weight fidanza. The car was like a go kart!

Revved quick. Overall was great.
I needed to hold more power so went twin plate which are unfortunately in my case, heavier in weight due to more mass.

Pros with heavy = more inertia so taking off is easier and more mass to get the car off the line.

Better for cruise or steady state. Once again, more mass.

Cons = slower to accel.

Non issue with a steel flywheel. Just get yourself a scatter shield.

If an alloy one fails (flywheel bolts break or come loose ), that flywheel will turn into a circular saw!

Well worth the investment.

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Baz my BILLET FW is held in place with ARP bolts  :thumbsup:  so don't see any need for a scattershield  :) 

Trikes

Trikes

• Donating Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationHobart

I have a Satria GTi 4g93P that I Hill Climb so top end does not matter to me. I bought an Extreme CM Flywheel with their Button Cushion Clutch. Flywheel weight is 1.4kg! I bought two and the other is 1.5kg. All I can tell you guys is I went 1.4seconds quicker and it lights up pretty easy. I launch in 2nd these days (std gearing). Last Hill Climb I launched in 1st as the Start is uphill. Bagged em up a lot then blew 2nd. Lighter is faster acceleration but is harder to get off the Line and at the Lights. Extreme used my std Flywheel to copy as they didn't have one. https://www.facebook...I0MzU4MDk4Mjk4/ The Button Cushion Clutch went in a few weeks later and it was worth and 4/10. Hill Climbs here in Tassie are all around 1000m .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users