Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HELP!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
As some of you know,I have sold my HSGR. So the last couple of days I have been giving it a tidy up for the new owner and a simple service. Oil and filter.
While I was at it a full degrease and Karcher in the engine bay. Left it a day and went to start it and it makes a hell of a racket! Like a stuck valve or similar
. I checked oil (all good) and made sure no water made its way into spark plug depths and even pulled the timing cover off and all looks fine and tight as per usual. Engine still starts first time but sounds like a miss is there that wasn't before, like a bit of lump in the cam.
Stressing massively!!!!
Could water have gotten somewhere else?
The noise is too end by the way, towards (possibly) intake?
Please help.

Edited by White Knight, 03 April 2018 - 09:29 AM.

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPomona, Sunshine Coast, QLD
Un plug everything and spray the connections with wd40, might be water sitting in a plug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Stressing so much that I haven't even thought that.... and I have to get up at fucking 2:30am for work! And I have no WD40 in the shed, stuff me.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Does it have a cam angle sensor on the side of the head?
Is it full of water??
Have you checked the coilpack or ignitor, isn't full of water as well?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Just about to run down to servo for WD40 before I open anything up. But good idea Jamo. I likely wont be able to do anything tonight anyway as I have no real lighting where it is and I have to wake at 2:30am to boot!!!! If I can sleep that is.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
The joys of cars...
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
4g63t life mate... $15.30 for WD40 at the servo! Pulled CAS and any sensor/connection I could find in the area and gave them a spray. I noted water pooled around cylinder one plug lead. Pulled it and a little water was sitting at the base of the plug, always check basics first Ian! Cleaned up and spray, checked all others (cylinder 4 had a tiny bit as well, but all plugs looked good otherwise). Worse thing is I have a house full of sleeping people and a car with a straight through 3 1/4 inch exhaust that I want to start up. Will have to wait until after work tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Updates?

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Sorry guys. So I spent a couple of hours at the mechanics this afternoon. To start, I have 175-185 compression across the 4 cylinders, just to clear that up.
5 mechanics and I scratching our heads, pulling leads (definitely need new ones btw), checking for leaks, checking lifter compress and all that shit. No ideas.
I did note that when one of the guys tool off the oil filler cap that it didn't spray any oil around (engine was running). I would think that oil pressure would near guarantee a bit if a spray? Am I crazy?
just a thought that oil pressure was low that would cause a lack of action from the lifters wouldn't it? If so, what would be the cause? I only did a fucking oil change . I did change the grade if oil to 10w 40 Magnatec stuff from Shell 15w 40 if that helps.
Tried different oil filter as well in case maybe it was fucked from new. No change.

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
On the drive to the mechanics (2km from my house), I did note a lack of power. Could the ecu be picking this as a knock and retarding timing as well?
Further, I think I noticed like a gasp of air when switching off the engine as well. Just hadn't noticed that before, but may be hypersensitive to noise now.....

CAM280

CAM280

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationAustralia Queensland
Maybe your belt slipped a tooth?

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Have you done a leak down test?
Is it lacking power on boost, off boost or both?
Is there more vibration than usual at idle or any other rev range? 

If there is suspected lack of oil pressure, i would immediately stop driving it if not absolutely necessary, as this can only lead to accelerated wear and tear best case or worst case engine seizing and needing a replacement. 

Test the oil pressure, take the timing covers off and check everything out down there, and check the turbo/pipes to see if there is any oil being run through anywhere its not meant to be. 

It might be silly but double check everything is tightly plugged in. check the TPS, if it has popped off will revert back to a very power lacking limp mode style map and is easily missed however it should throw a check engine light if it has.  

While very unlikely to be a separate event to the degreasing and or service i wouldnt rule out the possibility of bad luck in a failing oil pump or another sensor failing etc etc. 

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
I pulled the top timing cover off and belt still appears nice and tort as per usual. Power is lacking at all revs and load (although I drove in timidly about 2kms) and boost to 3psi then I stopped loading it. No more driving thats for sure.
Just confirming, entertain me here but, if I had good oil pressure would it spray out when pulling off the oil cap? Because it certainly did not do that.
Also if the HLAs are not working properly the valves would also not open properly and therefore less power as well?
I will look at oil pump or possible blockage in supply somewhere. All failing I will look at timing belt area in total. But realistically I am at a loss. As are the mechanics at this stage, was hoping someone had the same shit luck as me in the past and I wasn't a pioneer...

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Oh, and I checked TPS, CAS, coils and ignitor for connection and water. All good, although I know I need leads now as they are pretty fucked, but would that be an issue here worth pursuing?

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
The oil cap off and not spraying oil out has nothing to do with this issue.
That's not a way to check for good oil pressure.

Edited by evo-gsr, 05 April 2018 - 12:09 PM.

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Yeah, I know. Just thought it would be a physical indicator of sorts. I'm clutching straws here Jamo, lol.

CAM280

CAM280

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationAustralia Queensland
Try taking some oil out maybe a litre then start it up and then put it back in and listen for a change?

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
I'm at the mechanics now, just waiting for space in a bay. Going to drop oil and previous brand and type oil back in with another filter. See how it goes.

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
So that didn't help. Guys think that perhaps the balance shaft may have shit itself causing part of it to hit.
No experience with this.... is this plausible?

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside

Post a vid of the noise.

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users