Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Evo 4 shifter assembly in Evo 1-3?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada
I have seen this done before, does anyone have a breakdown of what all is needed and what needs to be modified? My shifter assembly is just way to sloppy and even after redoing all the bushings it still feels like it's in neutral in every gear. This makes it incredibly hard to find a gear when going for spirited drives.

!Jonzap!

!Jonzap!

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

did you replace the bushings on both the shifter and gearbox ends?

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada
Yes gear box has solids and skateboard bearings, and the whole assembly was completely rebuilt and new solid bushings under the assembly.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I honestly don't know why people bother with the E4 shifter setup!  I track my CC with a stock standard CC shifter assembly linked to a dogbox.  I've replaced all the bushings in the shifter assembly and have solid mounted the shifter base.  Am using the brass bushes in the gearbox linkage ends of the cables.

I do have two pairs of the brass shifter bushes for the pivot arms on the shifter assembly on the way so that will hopefully firm things up even more.

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

As hard as it might be to consider - your gearbox might need a bit of a freshen up?  If the de-tents in the gearbox are worn or slipping, it'll feel sloppy.

I had dramas with my gearbox until we disassembled it and tightened a few things up.  We also packed the de-tent ball springs with washers to increase the de-tent feel.  Made the shifts a bit more "clicky".

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Missile

Missile

Member No. 00004

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

I have recently refreshed my shifter and shifting is absolutely perfect.

6x bushes in the shifter assembly

Solid bushes as gearbox end of cable

Already had solid base bushes

I was looking in to doing the later model conversion before 'upgrading' my shifter; I have a E6.5 shifter which I believe will fundamentally the same and the E4.

The shifter base is flat, where as ours is stepped.

So, pack one end up and the shifter base looked as though it will physically fit.

As for the suitability of the cables, im not sure.

Ive got both shifter cradles at home so can take some photos.

Current projects: Mitsubishi ca5a/ce9a awd hybrid
Daily Rip: CE9A Evo II

www.cardomain.com/id/m1ssile

Built not Bought

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Yeah Ive done the same/similar as you Tim. Feels brand new and zero slop
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

There's a guide on how to do the later model shifter change somewhere out there and the cable interfaces are different from what I recall.  At the end of the day I figured it just seemed like too much of a headf**k for what the perceived benefit would be.

If you've addressed all the bushings in the shifter assembly and cables and the shift feel is still not satisfactory, then you might have to take a look at your gearbox internals as it could be a warning sign things are on the way out inside the casing.

Like I said - packing the springs for the de-tent balls made a notable improvement to the shift feel and is something you can do with the gearbox in the car (the 3x bolts for the springs/ball-bearings are accessible from the front of the gearbox casing - just don't let the springs shoot out when you take the bolts out!)

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada

There's a guide on how to do the later model shifter change somewhere out there and the cable interfaces are different from what I recall.  At the end of the day I figured it just seemed like too much of a headf**k for what the perceived benefit would be.

If you've addressed all the bushings in the shifter assembly and cables and the shift feel is still not satisfactory, then you might have to take a look at your gearbox internals as it could be a warning sign things are on the way out inside the casing.

Like I said - packing the springs for the de-tent balls made a notable improvement to the shift feel and is something you can do with the gearbox in the car (the 3x bolts for the springs/ball-bearings are accessible from the front of the gearbox casing - just don't let the springs shoot out when you take the bolts out!)

I just finished rebuilding my trans and everything is to spec or slightly tighter tolerance so I doubt my trans is the issue. This problem is my assembly even after being rebuilt it feels as though I'm in neutral when in gear. I'm not the only Evo 1 owner I know with this issue either. My only other thought is that my cables are just that worn but that's a stretch I think.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Sounds like you havent done the job correctly then?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada
It's kinda hard not to do solid bushings wrong lol, nor is this Evo my first project. As for the trans rebuild like I said it's to spec or tighter in areas so slop wouldn't exist inside. I'm fairly certain my assembly is ready for the bin or new cables. But if I'm getting a new assembly id rather upgrade to a newer gen style. Yea it's work but I'd rather my gearbox feel more updated.

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong
Yeah I have seen the cables get very tired themselves and cause difficult shifts
GSR Lancer- JE-73-VO, 11.701@125mph, 1.79 60" and getting faster. No:3 conrod now orbiting the moon.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

If you've rebuilt the gearbox then that rules that avenue of investigation out!

Are the cable support brackets bolted to the gearbox? I know it sounds stupid but the rubber isolators can flog out and the bracket moves - which would cause a sloppy shift as the cables themselves are free to move.

Otherwise might need to look at the cables.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

It's kinda hard not to do solid bushings wrong lol, nor is this Evo my first project. As for the trans rebuild like I said it's to spec or tighter in areas so slop wouldn't exist inside. I'm fairly certain my assembly is ready for the bin or new cables. But if I'm getting a new assembly id rather upgrade to a newer gen style. Yea it's work but I'd rather my gearbox feel more updated.

I was more referring to the nylon bushes around the shifter mechanism mate. And saying you may not have done that properly. Oh forgot to add the "lol"

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Also...if you had addressed all the bushings in the shifter properly then why you it be "ready for the bin"
Again...why I suggested you may not have done the job correctly.
Not saying you were a fucking idiot...............I wouldve just said that straight out if thats what I was implying.

CanadianCD9A

CanadianCD9A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

You may need these: https://www.jackstra...racket-bushings

They go under the brackets that the shifter cables attach to on the transmission. I've replaced every bushing but those and have slop - and when I wiggle the shifter, I can see that's where the slop is coming from.

Edited by CanadianCD9A, 30 August 2017 - 11:03 AM.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

^^ Those look good.  These are the bushings we replaced by solid mounting the bracket.

Edited by ENGINR, 30 August 2017 - 09:51 PM.

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada

Also...if you had addressed all the bushings in the shifter properly then why you it be "ready for the bin"
Again...why I suggested you may not have done the job correctly.
Not saying you were a fucking idiot...............I wouldve just said that straight out if thats what I was implying.

haha sorry I wasnt meaning for my comment to be taken as though I was being a dick haha, and this comment got me laughing too lol.

here is what I have done, I started with the plastic bushings in the shifter housing itself, I went with a copper insert and ditched the hard plastic, 

2eg8i3d.jpg

then I added solid bushings to the base of my shifter assembly,

30vlybp.jpg

and finally I added bearings where my stock rubber bushings where on the trans, 

14sf5eh.jpg

if I haved missed any other areas for slop please let me know as I am pretty sure these are the only places that would cause such problems. I will say it made it A LOT better but it still feels bad even for an older car. 

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I've just ordered two pairs of the brass bushings in your first pic and have elevated solid mounts for the shifter base to raise the shifter up.

What is the cylindrical bushing in your 2nd pic?  The factory setup uses a cylindrical bushing that the plastic ring bushes slip onto either end - is the one in your pic an upgrade?

Missile

Missile

Member No. 00004

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

I've just ordered two pairs of the brass bushings in your first pic and have elevated solid mounts for the shifter base to raise the shifter up.

What is the cylindrical bushing in your 2nd pic?  The factory setup uses a cylindrical bushing that the plastic ring bushes slip onto either end - is the one in your pic an upgrade?

Shane, it goes in between the upper gearbox link - it isn't a bushing as such - more of a shaft. Refer to the attached marked up - ive circled it in red. You get this ion a lot of kits when you buy the solid shifter base bushes.

dsm2evo, Regarding the copper bushes - nice. I looked in to them but postage was a killer. How many did you install. There are actually 6x bushes that need to be changes to eliminate the slop. I've highlighted the 4 that you probably changed in yellow; there are 2 more bushes that you need to replace which have been circled in blue.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Edited by Missile, 31 August 2017 - 07:25 AM.

Current projects: Mitsubishi ca5a/ce9a awd hybrid
Daily Rip: CE9A Evo II

www.cardomain.com/id/m1ssile

Built not Bought

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users