Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rvr Brembo conversion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Hi Guys,

I'm looking into a 97 rvr hsg Brembo conversion for all 4 corners. What I've read is that the fronts can swap out hubs / control arms. Rears I'm not so sure.

Links or advice appreciated.

Alternatively, any other brake upgrade option also considered..

Parabola

Parabola

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
I've done it to mine. For the fronts all I did was get the caliber bracket from racefab $200, elongate 2 bolt holes and trim the rotor dust shields to allow for the bigger rotors. As for the rears, I just cut the dust shields. Doesn't take long to do.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
really? so rears us brackets also?

Sounds easy!

Parabola

Parabola

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

really? so rears us brackets also?
Sounds easy!

Rears bolt straight up to hsg, no bracket needed. Might be some differences with the rvr ssg, but I can't confirm that.

Edited by Parabola, 15 March 2017 - 05:44 AM.

TRD_4age

TRD_4age

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I've done it to mine. For the fronts all I did was get the caliber bracket from racefab $200, elongate 2 bolt holes and trim the rotor dust shields to allow for the bigger rotors. As for the rears, I just cut the dust shields. Doesn't take long to do.

Would you have the link at all to the brackets you bought ? Only ones ive found suit evo 1-3 and they're $350.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Would think the e 1-3 were the same as Rvr?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Or....maybe thats why he had to elongate the holes?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Parabola

Parabola

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
I got the Evo 1-3 adapters from racefab back in 2014. Was $200nz. If they are now $350 just for the fronts, that's ridiculous, even $200 is too much. But luckily that's $200nz, so only about $1.50 in real money.

!Jonzap!

!Jonzap!

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

1AUD = 1.08NZD

TRD_4age

TRD_4age

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I got the Evo 1-3 adapters from racefab back in 2014. Was $200nz. If they are now $350 just for the fronts, that's ridiculous, even $200 is too much. But luckily that's $200nz, so only about $1.50 in real money.

Never mind they where $200nz for some reason i cant ready properly haha $350 is for rears for evo 1-3.

As for rears. Direct bolt up as in using the brembo brake lines aswell? The factory booster doesn't have a issue with the increased size ?

Parabola

Parabola

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Never mind they where $200nz for some reason i cant ready properly haha $350 is for rears for evo 1-3.
As for rears. Direct bolt up as in using the brembo brake lines aswell? The factory booster doesn't have a issue with the increased size ?

Bearing in mind I did this 3 years ago, I'm a little sketchy on the details.
But yes you can use the brake lines. Factory booster works, but apparently an Evo 7 booster & master is better, just have to plug up a pipe off it from memory. I have a booster, but still haven't done the swap yet so I can give exact details on that part.

As for elongating the front bolt holes. The bolts that racefab supply to bolt the brackets to the hubs are a 16mm and the factory ones are 14mm (that's probably not right) so you have to drill out & tap the hub bolt holes to accommodate the racefab bolts.

But with both front & rears, you will to trim the dust shield to allow for the bigger rotors.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

Would think the e 1-3 were the same as Rvr?

They are! 276mm, but without the banjo fitting in favour of a straight bolt up style.

If you want to get a 324mm rotor setup, hit me up, I am running a R34 GTR V-Spec rotor up front with a dogbone fitting a std R34 calliper. Happy to photo/measure/describe vie interpretive dance, the details if you want the specs. 

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

TRD_4age

TRD_4age

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

They are! 276mm, but without the banjo fitting in favour of a straight bolt up style.

If you want to get a 324mm rotor setup, hit me up, I am running a R34 GTR V-Spec rotor up front with a dogbone fitting a std R34 calliper. Happy to photo/measure/describe vie interpretive dance, the details if you want the specs.

Sent you a message mate.

thrashcan

thrashcan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNSW

is there any difference between the HSG and the SSG? would the adapters fit on an SSG with the usual modifications (bolt holes and dust shields)?

JPTRIPLEOG

JPTRIPLEOG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

is there any difference between the HSG and the SSG? would the adapters fit on an SSG with the usual modifications (bolt holes and dust shields)?

yeah any diff between HSG & SSG?

elnevio

elnevio

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGloucester, UK

It has been a while since doing it on my RVR HSGR (only three years or so!), but I am eventually writing up the notes I made while doing it.  NB: There may be one or two things missing, but I think it's pretty complete).

This is my list of things required for the Racefab bracket version of the upgrade, and I did not change the master cylinder.

REQUIRED ITEMS

Front and rear Evo Brembo brake calipers (I think mine were from an Evo 8)

- check that across all four calipers that they have all 8x 11mm bleed nipples, 4x spring clips and 8x retaining pins

Front and rear Evo Brembo fitment brake discs/rotors (I used Mtec ones in the the UK)

- fronts are standard Evo Brembo 320mm, but 330mm will fit, and I will be getting these next time.  This is because the calipers sit a few mm further out than the standard Evo fitment so the pads sit a few mm over the edge of the disc

You will need wheels to clear the front calipers once installed

- mine are Evo 6 wheels and the clearance is rather small.  As the calipers sit a few mm further out than normal Evo fitment, other Evo 5-9 wheels should still clear them, but there is a very small chance they might not.  I do not possess a full set of all Evo wheels to try this out!

Racefab Evo 1-3 Brembo front caliper adapters

- only fronts required, rears do not need adapters.

Braided hose (x8)

- optional, but either way, you will need brake lines with the Brembo banjo bolt fitting rather than the normal Mitsi caliper fitting.

- if you don't know, each corner has TWO flexible brake hoses (one from the solid brake line to a short solid line mounted on the suspension, then another from that to the caliper.

- to make the hoses you need 4x Brembo banjo bolt fittings and 12x Mitsi (standard M10) brake fittings.

- hose lengths are (this is tip-to-tip including fittings): 4x 265mm (one end Brembo, other end Mitsi), 2x 295mm and 2x 345mm (front and rear, I forget which way round that is, though I suspect the longer one is for the rear)

Rear Brembo caliper bolts

- you need 4x M10x1.5 bolts for the rear calipers.  Can't quote the length, but I can tell you they need to be about 5mm longer than the stock ones

Don't forget brake fluid and Brembo-fitment brake pads

REQUIRED TOOLS

10mm hex key/Allen bolt - for the smaller bolts that come with the Racefab adapters.

12mm hex key/Allen bolt - this was a special purchase!  Required for the larger bolts that come with the Racefab adapters

10mm flare spanner - for the brake fittings

11mm ring spanner - for the bleed nipples

Usual brake bleeding gear

Usual 12/14/17mm spanners/sockets etc.

Small grinder/dremel or tin snips - for trimming the dust shields

M14x2.0 tap - needed to tap the front hub carriers to mount the Racefab adapters, this is a fairly large tap, so may not be in many standard tap and die sets

SPECIAL NOTES - Front

No caliper milling/grinding was required.

No carrier/knuckle grinding was required.

Dust shield needs trimming or pushing back, and needs removing where the caliper mounts up.

SPECIAL NOTES - Rear

Don't forget to wind off the handbrake shoes!

Dust shield will need trimming.

And that's pretty much it lol!  As I said, there could be a couple of things I've missed, or may vary slightly if wheels, calipers, brackets, bolts etc. have tiny differences between them across the Evo and RVR range of bits.

Otherwise, I don't think a full guide is needed, as it is basically removing one lot of brake lines and calipers and refitting another set!

Hope this helps someone, sorry it took a while - I may have mentioned in a previous post or two that I am really slooooooow!  I mean, I had the Brembos for the three years prior to fitting them! :w00t:

Shorty

Shorty

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

It has been a while since doing it on my RVR HSGR (only three years or so!), but I am eventually writing up the notes I made while doing it.  NB: There may be one or two things missing, but I think it's pretty complete).

This is my list of things required for the Racefab bracket version of the upgrade, and I did not change the master cylinder.

REQUIRED ITEMS

Front and rear Evo Brembo brake calipers (I think mine were from an Evo 8)
- check that across all four calipers that they have all 8x 11mm bleed nipples, 4x spring clips and 8x retaining pins
Front and rear Evo Brembo fitment brake discs/rotors (I used Mtec ones in the the UK)
- fronts are standard Evo Brembo 320mm, but 330mm will fit, and I will be getting these next time.  This is because the calipers sit a few mm further out than the standard Evo fitment so the pads sit a few mm over the edge of the disc
You will need wheels to clear the front calipers once installed
- mine are Evo 6 wheels and the clearance is rather small.  As the calipers sit a few mm further out than normal Evo fitment, other Evo 5-9 wheels should still clear them, but there is a very small chance they might not.  I do not possess a full set of all Evo wheels to try this out!
Racefab Evo 1-3 Brembo front caliper adapters
- only fronts required, rears do not need adapters.
Braided hose (x8)
- optional, but either way, you will need brake lines with the Brembo banjo bolt fitting rather than the normal Mitsi caliper fitting.
- if you don't know, each corner has TWO flexible brake hoses (one from the solid brake line to a short solid line mounted on the suspension, then another from that to the caliper.
- to make the hoses you need 4x Brembo banjo bolt fittings and 12x Mitsi (standard M10) brake fittings.
- hose lengths are (this is tip-to-tip including fittings): 4x 265mm (one end Brembo, other end Mitsi), 2x 295mm and 2x 345mm (front and rear, I forget which way round that is, though I suspect the longer one is for the rear)
Rear Brembo caliper bolts
- you need 4x M10x1.5 bolts for the rear calipers.  Can't quote the length, but I can tell you they need to be about 5mm longer than the stock ones
Don't forget brake fluid and Brembo-fitment brake pads

REQUIRED TOOLS

10mm hex key/Allen bolt - for the smaller bolts that come with the Racefab adapters.
12mm hex key/Allen bolt - this was a special purchase!  Required for the larger bolts that come with the Racefab adapters
10mm flare spanner - for the brake fittings
11mm ring spanner - for the bleed nipples
Usual brake bleeding gear
Usual 12/14/17mm spanners/sockets etc.
Small grinder/dremel or tin snips - for trimming the dust shields
M14x2.0 tap - needed to tap the front hub carriers to mount the Racefab adapters, this is a fairly large tap, so may not be in many standard tap and die sets

SPECIAL NOTES - Front

No caliper milling/grinding was required.
No carrier/knuckle grinding was required.
Dust shield needs trimming or pushing back, and needs removing where the caliper mounts up.

SPECIAL NOTES - Rear

Don't forget to wind off the handbrake shoes!
Dust shield will need trimming.

And that's pretty much it lol!  As I said, there could be a couple of things I've missed, or may vary slightly if wheels, calipers, brackets, bolts etc. have tiny differences between them across the Evo and RVR range of bits.

Otherwise, I don't think a full guide is needed, as it is basically removing one lot of brake lines and calipers and refitting another set!

Hope this helps someone, sorry it took a while - I may have mentioned in a previous post or two that I am really slooooooow!  I mean, I had the Brembos for the three years prior to fitting them! :w00t:

Thanks for taking the time to provide such detailed information. I'm certain this will help me and others in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users