Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2L - Turbo choices?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

Hi gents, 

did a bit of a search but couldn't find a topic in which the collective forums knowledge discussed bolt on turbo options for a forged or standard 4G63. 

Seems like there are quite a few options available these days (eg FP, GT pumps, etc), but I was wondering if there was a clear winner these days in terms of good spool and/or outright performance. 

I'm hoping that the forum can discuss this objectively, rather than blindly fanboi'ing whatever turbo they run themselves and rubbishing anything else.

Looking forward to hearing people's experiences and feedback. 

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPomona, Sunshine Coast, QLD
What sort of power level are you hoping for? And what's the use? Do you need quick spool out of corners on a circuit or is it a drag car?

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

What sort of power level are you hoping for? And what's the use? Do you need quick spool out of corners on a circuit or is it a drag car?

Good questions! I guess I would hope that this becomes a sticky, so most likely for a typical "street" car. 

As for my own situation. Car in question (Evo1) has a stock engine, with usual bolt ons (exhaust, filter, bit more boost). Last time it was dyno'd (probably about 10 years ago), it was making around 160-170kw on the Croydon dyno. I was thinking of the FP manifold with a GTpumps (or similar) TD05 upgrade on regular premium (v-power etc). 

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Holset HX35 is what the yanks rave about. I went this route for something different with a BEP rear housing...made it a bolt on affair with an FP Race manifold.
Perfect setup for street and the occasional track day....ripped plenty of people at Powercruise.

Edited by evo-gsr, 10 January 2017 - 04:21 AM.

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

Holset HX35 is what the yanks rave about. I went this route for something different with a BEP rear housing...made it a bolt on affair with an FP Race manifold.
Perfect setup for street and the occasional track day....ripped plenty of people at Powercruise.

How different is this turbo to a TD05 based turbo? What power are you making with what mods? Whats it like to drive? Can you post up a dyno graph?

Thanks! 

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
What do you mean by how different is it to a td05?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Anyways...google is your friend with any questions you have about these...they are talked about in lots of circles not just the dsm/evo scene.
However I have done the leg work for you, and this guys post outlines what needs to be done to fit one to an Evo...

Holset HX35 Turbo Install
http://clintsgarage....nstall.html?m=1

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
This is that guys summary of it....

I have only run the turbo up to about 20psi. It already pulls like a monster, but 20psi is barely enough for this turbo to come alive. This turbo has a great sound to it when it spools up. It doesn't help the sleeper effect all that much, but it sounds awesome! =) It spools around 3,600rpm. I was hoping for a few hundred rpm sooner, but I have a significant boost leak that I need to fix. Luckily the boost leak won't affect my tune b/c I'm running a speed density setup, but I can't turn up the boost too much b/c a boost leak will over-work the turbo. Bottom line, I'm extremely happy with the turbo so far, especially for the cost! In the end, considering some of the components were gifts and if you factor in the money I made selling my 16g, the whole setup probably cost me around $200! =) Not bad for how much I got out of it.

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

Thanks for the info. Looks like an interesting option. Would be great to see your car in the flesh some day mate.

Anyone else got any practical feedback on the FP or GT pumps options? 

htgsr

htgsr

HTGSR

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • LocationSurfers

Im running the FP,HTA68, i have forged pistons 272 cams an the head has had a bit of porting exuast etc, comes on boost very quickly an pulls hard it's only running 20psi atm due to the injectors being maxed out, it makes 230KW ATW, I've run 11.1 at Jambo at QR, an at the roll racing it carves up. I have no experience with any of the other turbos so can't comment there but I love it. I have a dyno sheet somewhere ill see if I can find it an post it up.

Edited by htgsr, 03 February 2017 - 09:30 AM.

htgsr

htgsr

HTGSR

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • LocationSurfers
Dyno Sheet0002
Album: Dyno Sheet
1 images
0 comments

Here is the last Dyno Sheet

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

Hi guys

Just wanting to revisit this topic if anyone had any further real life experience with the following:

1. GT Pumps TD05 20G / 2010ET

2. FP black/green/red

3. GCG turbos highflow

4. GT2835 HKS/Garrett

NB: appreciate Holset was suggested above, but looking for other opinions.

All seem to be about $1200-1500 range.

Not looking for outright perfomance (ie dyno sheet), more quick spool up and driveability. 

It will be going on a forged 2L.

Thanks!

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
You wont get quick spool up with a red or black.

!Jonzap!

!Jonzap!

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

call up GT Pumps to see if they have any options

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
As in option 1, in his list above?

Hypo

Hypo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I have this turbo.

http://www.forcedper...DSMFP68HTA.html

Runs on their manifold.

http://www.forcedper...ode=DSM-Exhaust

Great for a track car, extremely responsive and makes 200kw @ all fours on 22 psi or there abouts.

!Jonzap!

!Jonzap!

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

As in option 1, in his list above?

yep, I forgot to include 'other' in the sentence

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Gotcha.

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

Cheers guys. Appreciate the feedback!

What sort of power at the wheels would I need to make to run a flat 12? 

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong
250ish minimum I would say. And some nice 60 ft times.
GSR Lancer- JE-73-VO, 11.701@125mph, 1.79 60" and getting faster. No:3 conrod now orbiting the moon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users