Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RVR HSGR - Maverick Jr

- - - - - rvr hsgr maverickjr awd turbo

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I'll contact you today about the rvr I want you to strip for me...

You keep most of the parts in exchange for getting the engine and drivetrain to me =)

Message me your phone number T!

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Very interesting day today. Results: the GTP 20g is on and boy does it make a difference. Spools quicker, boosts harder and overall is a lot angrier and faster now. Amazing the difference on same boost but better turbo. Broke the rear water hose yet AGAIN on it installing it as well so luckily Joseph was local and had a spare set of braided lines to go in. So upgrade there as well. fixed the leak in the oil return as well, counter-intuitively removing the gasket and a bit more three-bond. Wanted to get the manifold on but confirmed while it was all apart it wont work with the crossover pipe i have made, needs to be external gate which will happen soon enough. Lines only JUST fit and only on one very specific angle for the rear which touches the block, but barely theres no kink etc so should be fine till i do away with stock frame. Also got a carpet cleaner off a mate and did the interior carpet and seats while doing my house. Never really notice how dirty everything is till it gets clean, and boy did an embarassingly high amount of crap get lifted from those seats...

Ive bought a few things to mount this PWR intercooler as well if i can get to it in my holidays, all i need is some 2.5inch to whatever stock is what 2 inch? 90deg bends and itll go in with a few custom mounts which wont be hard to make. Gotta look at fuel upgrades now the 20g is in. Got the walbro but need some better injectors theyre probably running at 80% duty or more id imagine. Should be going tomorrow and picking up a head for the 54 block which has 272s in it and hopefully the rest to go with them, springs, retainers etc. 

Overall was a good day, worth all 7 hours of swearing.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Mocked up the PWR cooler. Just need the silicon elbows to arrive to plumb it in. Also decided to 'modify' my plate to not cover so much of the cooler now. Curious how long ill go without being pulled up on it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 26540840_10211383501678416_1331876686_o.jpg

murmylo

murmylo

• Donating Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationmelbourne
Looks good

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
So looks like I just brokered a deal for a forged motor. Coupled with the cammed head the gtp turbo and the haltech I have it's gonna be a good year. In saying that it seems I've developed a boost leak throwing a check engine light and blowing out at around 14lb. Gotta investigate that tomorrow but hopefully nothing serious. Drives fine if not flat out at 6k. Maybe throttle body gasket? Couldn't read codes either both scan tools were saying connection error. Apparently they're really fiddly plugs might have to play around a bit more.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Delightful day today. Pinned down a CEL to a boost leak so bad it throws a light. Not an obvious one though so gotta have fun with that. Also my AEM wideband is freezing. Runs fine for a few seconds then freezes as a snapshot. I read that stuck on 14.8 means a bad sensor but it works fine for initial startup then decides to pack it in. Im sure itll be under warranty if anything is fkd but im really hoping its a quick fix and somethings loose etc.

Oh and i hope that the beeping from the mongoose alarm that casually comes on every now and then is just a sticky reverse switch in the box. All signs point to it so ill swap that out and hopefully thats that. 

Good with the bad

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
Day of troubleshooting. Cel was because the tps plug was loose. I imagine reverting it to a base safe map and did not like 16lb of boost shoved down its throat for safe mode. All fixed when I corrected the plug go figure. Aem wideband still fucked gotta ring em in the morning see what the go is. Reverse switch is the culprit started going off when I was under the bonnet so wiggled the cable at the switch and it stopped. Hopefully not a loom/wiring issue and it's the plug can also pop it into reverse and out again to shut it up. Pleased I solved the Cel at least.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Picked up another head today. Has 272 cams in it. Was hoping for supporting stuff but not expecting, and just as well cause rest is stock "drop in cams" indeed. 

Came with everything, intake mani, TB, loom and injectors, rail cam sensor etc etc. Very happy with the spares for the price paid. Ill probably do springs and retainers with the cams in the forged motor to be on the safe side. What are opinions on stock valves? Are they gonna be OK with 30lb or am i going to see a big difference going oversize? Will be with a haltech if it makes any difference to tune with them or not. Probably gonna do cam gears while im at it. 

What is the expectation with port and polishing on these motors? 

Almost got the forged motor out. The lancer still not being done and waiting on a few things to ship to me im not gonna be able to put it in for a month or two while life gets in the way. Need to have it up and running so worst case i develop a rod shaped hole in my bonnet i wont be stuck without a car for work. 

• ted likes this

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Dont plan on anything too crazy - not going to sacrifice reliability for performance

Decided to make a 10sec car. 

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Yesterday got around to changing out the window regs. drivers had a leg chipped off causing it to sometimes come up at an angle before correcting itself but was nice and fast etc. Passenger was simply slow. Opened/cleaned/regreased the regs and whacked em in so theyre nice and fast and should be for a while. While the door trims were off also regreased the lock mechs, door handles etc. Should only need to crack them open again is if something breaks or when i finally get my shit together and order these new check straps. 

Picked up a manual evo 3 box this morning as a trade for an auto box. Gotta get it checked/tolerances done and new bearings/seals (hopefully not anything else). 

Dismantled the forged motor to a bare long to have a look and i might go ahead and fully crack it open as there were quite a few worrying things. Timing wasnt done properly, drive side of the belt had enough slack to literally slip the belt off the drive side pulley and back on again with the tensioner done. Rocker cover was leaking like a siv as they new gasket and plug seals put in must have only been hand tightened. Some bolts were missing. So for peace of mind ill change the sump at least (dinged to hell) and check underneath, paint the block, new everything as far as welsh plugs, hoses, seals etc as i dont wanna be pulling this out again in 6 months cause of a leaking sump etc. 

Will probably be a while before it goes in, as ive got a few k in things i need to do to it while its out preferably to get it prepped for 10sec. And i need to get maverick on the road to drive that so i am not dailying a 10sec car etc. 

Progress is still progress.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Bought a Turbo1/6boost manifold ceramic coated 1/ twin 40mm compgates. Fitted an exhaust stud kit. New welsh plugs. Painted block in black high temp. Cleaned the s**t out of everything, new genuine tensioner bearings, belt etc etc. next step is getting head done. Around about 3k  for a worked head, ported, spring/retainers/lifters, multi angle seats valve guides etc etc.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
Twin screamers I think. Gonna. Be. Mental.20180215_172006.jpg

Edited by Taz, 15 February 2018 - 07:41 AM.

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Yes!!!! A whole lot of yes.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Very cool. What are you doing screamer pipe wise? Just going to vent through the bonnet?
"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

murmylo

murmylo

• Donating Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationmelbourne
Mad

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

Very cool. What are you doing screamer pipe wise? Just going to vent through the bonnet?

On a road driven car?
Cops will love that idea!!
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Im thinking if possible to make 2 sets of pipes. 1 set for track/strip/show etc and another for driving around. Not sure if its gonna be feasable but sort it all out when it goes into the car.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Been slack with updates lately not much going on until last week. Got the motor together and ready to drop in apart from a few things i can do in the car. Just waiting on tax to hopefully buy the clutch and fly so i can bolt the box on and get it all together. Then it just needs a turbo, exhaust done once its all in and havent decided whether i just want to get it on the road again with stock ECU or tune in the haltech i have sitting here. But itll be together shortly, and i need to re-register it by the start of next month so rego doesnt get cancelled. Just need to finish this galant up and get my garage free again. Getting close.

Here are a few pics of the motor. Changed over all the zinc plated brackets and bolts to make the rest of the motor as sexy as the manifold.

Attached Thumbnails

• 34907753_10212473685932341_5473344805482266624_n.jpg
  • 35078158_10212473685012318_8518087713352581120_n.jpg
  • 34963700_10212473685172322_4305796922892877824_n.jpg
  • 35050959_10212473685732336_3342589879006527488_n.jpg

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Been real slack with this last 6 months but going to start getting into it again during the new year. Quit my job and started and a dealership that does 5 brands including mitsi. Finally settled and getting the itch to go fast again. 

Decided to use the turbo i had for the lancer when i planned to turbo it now its no longer being used for that purpose. 70mm with a 1.15 rear and a t4 split. Should haul sufficient ass to get me to 10sec i hope. 

Just really need a clutch and flywheel and i can bolt the box up and get the motor back in the car. Ill need a few things to get it running again but not much for minimal boost and simply driving around. Will need quite a few things to step up to the planned 30-40psi ill need to cram in it for my goals. Cross that bridge when i get there.

Next stage is piping. With new PWR cooler and turbo ill need to redo pretty much all piping. If i can il want to get a better intake and TB on there before i do that so i dont have to double up on that pipe. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 47384112_10213579664421112_6131216100240654336_n.jpg

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Taz, what's the story with your position sensors? You have a rvr style crank sensor, and a 3g cam sensor. Normally that crank sensor pairs with a cam sensor under the cam wheel.

I think you have a better setup, if it works out, because you can run adjustable cam gears easier. But you may have to run some wires....
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rvr, hsgr, maverickjr, awd turbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users