Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Flushing e85 system

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
Ok guys, so my car had been sitting for about 3 months without being started. Took it for a drive last week but was a bit paranoid about e85 sitting in the tank for so long so took it pretty easy.
Thought I'd do a bit of a test so floored it while cruising in 5th and let it spool up. Noticed a very slight jerking, wouldn't call it a miss but there was a slight hesitation.
Not overly worried about it but thought it might be worth flushing the system now that I'm almost on empty. I've read up on running 98 to flush the system but I'm running an e85 only tune (no flex).
Someone on here not long ago mentioned I could get away with running 98 but keeping it off boost. I was going to throw $10 of 98 in this weekend, but just wanted to see if anyone else could shed some more light or give some opinions on this.
The alternative is some injector cleaner and fresh e85.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Which area are you in?

I just bought some of this from x3e.
http://www.amsoil.co...line/quickshot/

E85 specific..

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
I'm in Sydney, have seen a lot of the guys in the USA suggest that stuff.

I've used and was planning to run this again...

http://www.nulon.com...boost_and_clean

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
http://www.x3e.com.au/

Email Ivan and he can send. He does lots of random bits so you might be interested in more than just the fuel additive.

I buy my engine oil from him and also oil filters etc.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
I have put 5 litres of 98 in mine quite a few times and just driven it off boost. Never had any dramas with that method.
My opinion is that Nulon shit is snake oil and you cant go past a few litres of 98 through the system.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
I have used the Nulon stuff with e85 and noticed that it runs a point or 2 leaner....so will never use it again.
Have seen that happen on not only my car but another mates later model Evo did the same thing.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

EV0300

EV0300

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Geelong
If you have an ecmlink there is a setting you cant turn the pump on constant to pump as much out as you can then just put fresh stuff in

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney

If you have an ecmlink there is a setting you cant turn the pump on constant to pump as much out as you can then just put fresh stuff in

Running an older model Haltech so don't have access to that function - as far as I'm aware.

I'd be more worried about pumping the crap from the bottom of the tank through the lines doing that anyway. My main concern is to get rid of any water or congealed deposits that the e85 can create when moisture gets to it. 

I have used the Nulon stuff with e85 and noticed that it runs a point or 2 leaner....so will never use it again.
Have seen that happen on not only my car but another mates later model Evo did the same thing.

I had my suspicions about that stuff too mate, not running an AFR gauge so might give it a miss based on your experience. I think I might give the 98 a go instead and just take it easy until it's gone through the system. 

http://www.x3e.com.au/

Email Ivan and he can send. He does lots of random bits so you might be interested in more than just the fuel additive.

I buy my engine oil from him and also oil filters etc.

Thanks for this mate, I'll definitely get in touch with him and put an order in. I prefer to stock up on stuff like additives, oil, filters etc. Saves me having to run around when I finally find time to do a service. 

I'm doing a water pump and fixing a couple of leaks this weekend, so I'll do the 98 trick and then throw in some quick shot when it arrives and I have a fresh batch of e85.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
.2 in afr change is probably negligible.

I wouldn't even worry about it.

Gnd the earth on the fuel pump relay manually.
The last bit, drain from the tank drain bolt.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

.2 in afr change is probably negligible.
I wouldn't even worry about it.
Gnd the earth on the fuel pump relay manually.
The last bit, drain from the tank drain bolt.

I said a full point as in 1.0 or 2.0 points not 0.2

Edited by evo-gsr, 11 November 2016 - 07:25 AM.

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney
Got one from United station.

20160908_210912.jpeg
Lancer Evolution 7 GSR '01

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Snake Oil ^

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

vlcsnap-2013-05-05-12h20m15s94.png

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I've had mine sit for over 6months with E85 in the system and touch-wood it has been fine.

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I've had mine sit for over 6months with E85 in the system and touch-wood it has been fine.

me too, the only time i had an issue was if stuff was exposed to air

eg, pull the injectors and let them sit without flushing them first 

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
Did the 98 trick today, you could clearly tell when the e85 was out of the system and she was running on pure 98 as the idle dropped to about 500rpm.
But it drove fine off boost, hopefully it's done it's thing and I can start with some fresh corn juice next weekend.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
So a bit of an update on this one. I've run the 98 through and topped up with fresh e85 last weekend after having a very erratic idle. Seemed to get better after a few ks on the fresh 85 but I've still got a bit of an inconsistent idle.
Idle generally sits at 550rpm, but will occasionally go as high as 750rpm, then dip to 200rpm and sound as though it's going to cut out - but never actually does.
Tried doing some good long pulls through all gears, the car seems to drive fine, but I'm not getting the usually crackling on downshifts and I don't have the strong e85 smell from the exhaust.
I pulled the plugs and they are consistently grey across all cylinders. Not sure if the 98 may have flushed some gunk from the tank and I now have a blocked fuel filter?

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
I should of mentioned changing filter too especially after its been sitting for a while then flushing it with 98.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
I should have known really. I'm pretty confident it's not injectors because the plugs are so consistent across all of the cylinders and I only have the problem at idle not WOT.
I'll change the filter next weekend, it's just a ball breaker to get to and change.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
Bit of an update on this one. My idle got so bad it almost cut out, had a decent miss and sounded like crap. Decided to drain the tank, do a fuel filter change and plugs and run some fresh e85 through the system to see if it would fix my issue.
First start up it seemed to be fine, then when it warmed up the idle dropped and the car cut out. Started it again, idled fine for a bit, then idle dropped and it cut out again.
So we adjusted the idle screw on the throttle body and brought the idle back up to around 900rpm where it used to live, and it seemed to fix the problem.
Went for a drive, car ran fine but was down on power, and again no typical e85 smell from the exhaust.
That was three weeks ago, decided to take the car for a drive today, again the idle had dropped on start up and it struggled to stay running. Took it uo the street and the idle adjusted back to normal and car seemed to run fine. Gave it a bootful for a bit and again down on power but now misfiring/spluttering under hard throttle at certain revs, clearly running lean.
We tried clamping the fuel return line and the engine cut out immediately, so thinking it's a pump or injector issue. The plugs were a very light grey when I took them out although consistent across all cylinders.
I think I'll be taking it back to Micks to throw it on the dyno and see what the deal is, and while I'm there see if he can get some more power out of it now that it has a decent clutch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users