Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dsm2Evo's 1993 Evo 1 GSR build

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada

Well I figured I may as wsell start a bit of a build thread here, It will be slow going and no real big progress will happen for about a month or two but hey I got some stuff done already that I want to keep track of haha so here it is!

this is the day we first picked up the car, we were told all it needed was the transmission redone but thats not the case.

14089086_10157237402260063_6099174806202

once I got it home I started taking out the motor and trans, 

14079500_10157237927785063_4164476597597

14079679_10157241529535063_2209058359593

14141945_10157266486880063_5135627566803

14117957_10157266487155063_6942910458626

since the motor had been pulled I decided to check the timing and I was surprised no valves were bent or piston contact was made as the timing was extremely off. I then cleaned the surface of the block and will do the head as well later on. I have also since cleaned the turbo up, and removed the dash so I can replace a few things under there and hopeful get rid of an awful smell in the car.

well that's how she stands at this point !

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Factory engine bays are so cluttered.

‎"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada

Factory engine bays are so cluttered.

Very true, but the evo bay is way more spacious then that of a talon, eclipse or laser haha.

QUKNEZ

QUKNEZ

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VICTORIA

Ah..the ol' "just gotta do the transmission only" line aye? lol. Love that Supra in the background too.

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada

Ah..the ol' "just gotta do the transmission only" line aye? lol. Love that Supra in the background too.

Haha yup, its all little things that need to be fixed though like a leaking fuel line, clutch needs done, same as throw out bearing, the heater core is leaking because one of the pipes is busted, front main seal is gone, timing needs done... just a bunch of easy stuff that I always look at haha. Also thats just one of two supra's haha. That white one is a twin turbo 6 speed, and beside the evo 6 in the garage is a baltic blue single turbo mk4 as well.

QUKNEZ

QUKNEZ

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VICTORIA

Thats a nice assortment of turbo'd cars to have in the garage! Pity you're all the way in Canada. Looking forward to hearing what else you have to fix..lol

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada

Well I did a thing today and did a bit of restoring to some old rusty parts. While putting my dash back inside the car today I couldnt get past how ugly my shifter assembly was. I am a sucker for detail and this had to be fixed.

here is a before shot of the rusty unit.

IMG_5102_zpsbtwhdnrz.jpg

And here she is looking all fresh and new, I also re lubricated all the joints with grease and I can tell it has made a difference in the way the shifter moves. It is now a lot less notchy and more smooth.

IMG_5103_zpsgdzdj99x.jpg

Enjoy!

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada

I need to stop doing things already haha, so I found a great price on a 6 bolt ported head out of a talon that was fully built with GSC Zero Tick Lifters, brand new rockers, AEM cam gears, 272 Brian Crower cams, Brian Crower springs and retainers, AEM fuel rail, ID1000cc injectors, Weldon E85 fuel -8an fuel line kit, Aeromotive FPR kit, Real HKS cam gears ( verified by HKS themselves ) , and a clear timing cover. Got all of this for a little over 1500$ Canadian and all of this is Brand new or has less then 1000 km on it. Now I know that the head wont fit the car but the parts inside the head will and I can reuse the head on my actual 6 bolt car. Now to decide weather I should run the HKS cam gears on the Evo or on my Talon haha . All the other goodies are going straight onto the Evo though once I pick the rest of it up on the 16th.

here are the pics!

IMAG01881_zpsp9dpwxwz.jpg

IMAG01891_zpsxlgfeqjd.jpg

IMAG0190_zpsnnddkdgt.jpg

IMAG0192_zpsyioyt2hi.jpg

IMAG0194_zpsendfo8fg.jpg

IMAG0195_zpssn6ftny1.jpg

IMAG0196_zpseefbofvn.jpg

IMAG03461_zpsg15ytsv7.jpg

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Do you have a 7-bolt or 6-bolt bottom end?
‎"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada
My evo is a 7 bolt but my talon is a 6 bolt. I'm just getting the head and putting the parts on my evo .

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada

Well some really bad news followed by some pretty damn good news,

upon further inspection of the Evo's rear diff, transfer case, and transmission I was able to safely say none of these were damaged at all like the owner had claimed. That should be good news but its not, this meant the car dying out any time power was applied following a metal on metal sound was not related to the drive line. So what all does that leave? Well I found the problem, about half an inch of crank walk! Block, crank, rods.... All toast!!!

So with the bad news out of the way I found myself a 99 GSX block with the revised thrust bearings so no more pesky crank walk. This motor I found has a brand eagle new crank, eagle rods, wiseco pistons, ARP main studs, and ACL race bearings. It also came with a complete gasket kit, timing belt kit, tensioner, cometic HG, oil pump cover with a full balance shaft delete kit. got everything for $1500!  now all thats left is to send out my head to get re surfaced and re assembled with the cams, springs, retainers, and valves.

hoping to have her running in a month or so!

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada

Well I am a little past a month since the last update so here is whats new,

After purchasing the new motor I Disassembled it to re lube the bearings, upon doing this I noticed some scoring on one of the cylinder walls and managed to track it down to a cracked piston ring from poor installation. After seeing that I ordered a new ring set and re did all the end gaps.

With that out of the way I then continued to Re assemble the motor but soon realized I had a bit of an issue. The previous owner had installed ARP main bolts which is great and all but I did not know what torque spec they used when they had it line honed. A bit on the fence I decided to torque it down to what ARP recommends Hoping that any reputable shop would do the same.

Motor finally nearly completed with all accessories awaiting the head to come back from the machine shop I discover that a new gash had appeared on the heads mating surface on the block, still unsure how this could have happened as it has been very well stored and out of the way from anything ( so I had thought ) . Realizing that now it is the best time to kill two birds with one stone I re disassemble the entire motor for a 2nd time to have the head surface decked, and get the mains line bore honed. 

So as of right now I am currently waiting on the following,  Ordered valve stem seals, waiting on the head from the machine shop but they cant finish until the valve seals show up, Ordered Authentic HKS SSQV to match the HKS intercooler pipes, Ordered brass heater core pipes to replace my cracked plastic ones, Waiting on the block to be re machined and for me to re assemble it again, finish debating if I should order the Cusco motor mounts or not.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
You will find that HKS BOV will get really annoying after a while. Shittest sound ever.....unless you like kettles
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada
I actually don't mind the hks Bov as long as you put in the purple insert. I have used it on several of my dsm's . I will admit it's not the best sounding and I would much rather run a tial 50mm Bov but I don't plan on making tons of power with this car so it's a bit over kill.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
It gets old real quickly in my opinion.
Around here its the choice of the teenage flat brims that drive wrx and think they are all it...so its considered a kids mod!
Each to their own but.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

LOL. I had the HKS BOV on my car for 15 years. Maybe its my inner rice boy :D

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Say no more.....

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada

I figured my last update post was kinda lazy because I was pretty tired so this time I will add the pics I never did.

here is the motor I had picked up, its out of a 99 GSX so its the 7 bolt you want to have with the revised thrust bearings.

IMG_5119_zpshqguyhyu.jpg

Here I am just putting on the front case / oil pump gasket, you can also notice that it is re lubed with nice red bearing assembly lube.

IMG_5120_zps3vot4u1b.jpg

new case and front main seal good to go.

IMG_5121_zpsrdnw1ydg.jpg

different view.

IMG_5122_zpsymjhs93r.jpg

Water pump on.

IMG_5123_zpsqceurvvk.jpg

We got a bit of a time warp here but you can see that the girdle splash guard, oil pickup tube, hydraulic tensioner, oil filter housing, and motor mount bracket/ tension arm is now installed.

IMG_5131_zpsydbevewf.jpg

another view.

IMG_5135_zpsu46rf3m7.jpg

And I had also had the oil pan on as well and it was at that point I noticed the gash in the mating surface for the head.

14886130_10155509105022627_1744155909_n_

so as of right now the motor is once again completely stripped and sitting in a machine shop, hope to have it back on on the 15th of December. 

I also managed to retrofit a 1999 Mitsubishi GSX radiator into my car, all that needs to be changed is I needed the GSX rad hoses, upper water neck, and had to make a set of upper radiator brackets but she fits pretty nicely!

Message_14789025355331_zps7nm9am4w.jpg

I am still waiting for my valve seals to show up but those should be here in between Monday to Wednesday so I should have my head back fairly shortly. I also Picked up my copper heater matrix pipes and those should be in before my block is back. All that will be left after that is I need is my block and I can start re assembly! I am getting excited to get the car all buttoned up I have always wanted an evo and now that its almost finished I am starting to realize that dream actually came true.  

dsm2evo

dsm2evo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Locationcanada

Well just my luck,

today I get a photo sent to me and my valve seals showed up, totally made my day as I was now one step closer to being finished. I started work today at 5 am as usual but wound up going late till 8 pm, I received the pic around noon so most of my day was pretty great! After work I decided screw it I am celebrating and going and getting a pizza for supper. Wait 30 minutes to get my amazing 3 cheese stuffed crust meat lovers pizza, the entire ride home I was so tempted to crack it open and start eating but I decided to wait to see the parts first. Upon arrival went downstairs to my room and set the pizza on my bed. I then briskly shut my door and rushed up the stairs where my seals awaited me, I pick up the package and already that happy feeling was fading away, one of the exhaust seals was damaged. Not only that but I had noticed something else... Thinking to myself " man these seem small.. " we go outside and use the micrometer and discover I was correct. The supplier sent me the same wrong sized seals again! feeling very angered and upset I thought to myself " oh well I still have that Warm cheesy meat filled pizza to keep me happy " I force myself back down the stairs where my next nightmare awaited me. The door that I had thought to have shut now swinging wide open. It was like a real life horror movie except instead of blood and guts it was pizza sauce and toppings that lay scattered in my room. Apparently my roommates dog decided my celebration dinner was now his late night snack......

can we all have a moment of silence while I lay this poor pizza to rest....

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

:blink:  :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users