Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wolf 3D Set-Up Headaches!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Booyar

Booyar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWagga Wagga NSW

Hi guys.

I am having an issue with a 4G63BT running a Wolf ECU that is doing my head in so I am hoping someone with more experience than I might be able to help me out. There is a bit of a story here so please bare with me.

I have a Lotus 7 replica with a bit of a 4G63 bitsa engine, due to the fact it is rear wheel drive it is using a Starion block (and gearbox) but running an Evo 3 head and is also running a Wolf 3D V4.57 ECU. I had a lot of dramas with traction (funny about that) so decided to take the car off the road so I could cut the rear guards and widen them to get some 10" tyres on the back. Unfortunately this then turned into making an entire new fiberglass body based on a Leman car which had the 7 off the road for about 7 years. I then bought another 7 replica and have started yet another project so decided to remove the half finished Leman body and get the turbo 7 back on the road. During the process of putting it back together I did the following:

- Replaced the high pressure fuel pump (the old one had seized)

- New fuel lines & filters

- New vacuum lines

- Replaced the timing belt

- Replace engine temperature sensor which was a dud

- The usual oil, filters, plugs, etc

I also made an entire new wiring harness for the car from scratch (I work in the auto electrical industry) which included re-wiring the Wolf ECU. When I was making the harness I noticed that the injectors were wired in batch configuration rather than sequential so I figured there must have been a reason for it and thought I'd better double check as I figured you could get a more accurate and fuel efficient tune using a sequential set-up. So I rang Robbie at Wolf Motorsport and asked him which way it should be set up to which he replied sequential would be the better option, I said oki doki I will wire it as sequential instead but I assume that would mean it would need to be re-tuned and he confirmed it would. So I put the whole car back together and rang Robbie so he could walk me through the engine configuration set up in the software so I could start it in a sequential set up. Anyways, since there is no-one in town who has a clue about tuning I thought I would run it back in batch configuration via the software and re-load the tune that it last had before I took it off the road and it should be running the same way it used to. I could then drive it to a decent tuner (300kms away) and they could change it back into sequential mode in the software and re-tune it to suit. No such luck, it is running like a complete dog and fouling plugs and the ECU seems to be triggering in an odd pattern. After a couple more phone calls to Robbie (who I hate to hassle because he is a busy man) it turns out that due to the trigger disc it is running it could only running in batch fire & wasted spark mode anyway! No dramas, I will just put it back the way it was but it just isn't running right. So I have done / checked the following:

- Checked all vacuum lines which are new and all good, even pressurised the system up to 15PSI, no leaks.

- Recalibrated the new temp sensor in the software but the calibration chart is nearly exactly the same as the one already loaded in the tune as I used the same model sensor.

- Injectors were cleaned and flow tested before refitting.

- Vacuum on the Wolf handset (built in MAP sensor) reads the same as the boost gauge in the dash.

- Engine and air temp sensors have been tested and read the same as the dash gauges.

- Checked the cam timing markers line up, did this three times and the tensioner is fine and within spec.

- Triple checked all the wiring for the ECU is going to the right sensors, power and earth are all ok as is the shielded cable coming from the CAS which I have also replaced and ran a whole new cable outside the car away from any potential interference.

- Checked the trigger input from the CAS with an oscilloscope and there doesn’t seem to be any noise on the input.

- Checked the igniters which seem fine as does the 13.8V they are getting.

- Swapped out the plug leads even though they measured fine.

- Swapped out the coil packs even though the old ones and the replacement ones both measure within spec on the primary and secondary coils.

Checked the fuel pressure which was 44 PSI with the vacuum line connected and 53 PSI disconnected. No fuel out of the regulator vacuum port so diaphragm seems ok.

I believe it has something to do with the ECU setup stuff but don’t know enough about the pulse offsets, etc, so was hoping that someone else out there might be running a Wolf ECU on a 4G63 in batch fire mode with wasted spark and using a 4+2 trigger input.

The trigger disc looks kind of like this and obviously used to work before I took the car off the road:

CAS%20Wheel_zpstqvgttso.png

Trigger sequencing:
Wolf%20Engine%20Trigger%20Sequencing_zps

Injector sequencing which has since been change to the following since the injectors are wired in cylinder order not firing order. I have also tried changing the injector pulse skips all to 1.
Injector 1 Pulse Offset - 0

​Injector 2 Pulse Offset - 1

​Injector 3 Pulse Offset - 1

​Injector 4 Pulse Offset - 0

Wolf%20Engine%20Injector%20Sequencing_zp

Ignition sequencing:
Since only ignition 1 & 2 outputs are being used with output 2 running the dual output coil for cylinders 1 & 4 and output 1 running the dual output coil for cylinders 2 & 3 I have changed to be the following to be:

Ignition 1 Pulse Offset - 1

Ignition 2 Pulse Offset - 0

Ignition 3 Pulse Offset - 255

Ignition 4 Pulse Offset - 255

Ignition 5 Pulse Offset - 255

Ignition 6 Pulse Offset - 255

Wolf%20Engine%20Ignition%20Sequencing_zp

Nothing seems to be helping. It is running extremely rich and fouling plugs (I have tried using the fuel trim to cut it back but it helps a bit and then dies while still blowing black smoke).

What worries me is that the timing marker bounces between 0 degrees and about 8 degrees BTDC when I set the ECU to 0 degrees and crank it over (injectors and coils unplugged). The ECU firing is erratic, here is a vid of the outputs slowed down with the ECU on my test bench and running the CAS with a drill at constant speed: http://vid32.photobu...zpsttnz6afx.mp4

Please Help!!!

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Have you tried removing your CAS and turning it out 180 degrees?

Booyar

Booyar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I can't say that I have. I hadn't actually removed it from the car when all the hassles started, I only took it out recently when I went to bench test the ECU. I removed the harmonic balancer, worked out where 60 degrees BTDC was and marked it and then lined it up with the timing marker on the engine cover and moved the CAS until it just triggered the first hole of the dual pulse holes in the disc. According to the installation manual when in dual pulse mode the first of the dual pulses should be when the crank is at 60 degrees before top dead centre, it then alternates between the single and dual pulses on the trigger wheel. When I disconnect the ignition and injectors, set the Wolf to 0 degrees on cranking and crank the engine the timing marker is on TDC which is correct, just that it seems to alternate between 0 degrees and about 8 degrees, maybe 10, kind of hard to tell because the pulses are so quick. It seems to me that the ECU is firing the injectors and ignition more often than it should be? I'm wondering if the ECU is taking the dual pulses as two individual events rather than as the reference triggers event, this would make it fire six times as opposed to four. I believe there is a setting that tells the ECU how long to wait after a trigger input before it considers the next input the next firing event, I'm just not sure which setting that is. Must be something to do with the trigger input settings?

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Maybe get a Wolf Base map from Robbie..
I know when I had my Wolf I was running worth the stock crank trigger sequential injection and waste spark...

Booyar

Booyar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have two base maps but they are both trigger + reference for sequential setup. I emailed Robbie a copy of my map and he was going to get back to me but that was a week ago and I get the feeling he has better stuff to do which is fair enough as he is a busy man. I was hoping to find someone on here with a base map for dual pulse, batch fire and wasted spark. :(

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA
I had an issue a long time ago with wolf3d I recall having to change rising edge to falling or something on those lines. Eventually binned the ecu as people just wouldn't touch it

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

Starion VR4 Derek

Starion VR4 Derek

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBurrum Heads

Why is your trigger reset off? It needs to be able to set it self to 0 when it knows it has done a full revolution.

Booyar

Booyar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I had an issue a long time ago with wolf3d I recall having to change rising edge to falling or something on those lines. Eventually binned the ecu as people just wouldn't touch it

It was set to falling edge, it should have been rising edge so I changed it and the idle picked up a bit but it is still running poo.

Why is your trigger reset off? It needs to be able to set it self to 0 when it knows it has done a full revolution.

The trigger sync every two revolutions was off in the original tune, I figured it should have been on but when I changed it the car wouldn't run. Perhaps it needs to be changed along with other parameters at the same time?

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
You want falling edge as the rising edge of the waveform will vary on the rpm.. Falling will always be fixed.

This is my understanding.

Edited by bazeng, 30 August 2016 - 04:06 AM.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Here is a waveform example.

Note that it states as eng speed increases, the timing cycle will reduce on the rising edge.

This previously worked OK for me but caused misfires as RPM's increased.

http://stuff.fredcoo.../4g63timing.jpg

As for the injectors settings and ignition settings, try this:

If wired in sequence (check your injector wires to the pin outputs).

If wired like this:

INJ 1 - CYL 1

INJ 2 - CYL 2

INJ 3 - CYL 3

INJ 4 - CYL 4

​Injector 4 Pulse Offset - 0

If wired like the below:

INJ 1 - CYL 1

INJ 2 - CYL 3

INJ 3 - CYL 4

INJ 4 - CYL 2

​Injector 3 Pulse Offset - 0

​Injector 4 Pulse Offset - 1

But i believe they are sequential honestly.

From memory my wolf was like this:

INJ 1 - CYL 1

INJ 2 - CYL 2

INJ 3 - CYL 3

INJ 4 - CYL 4

​Injector 2 Pulse Offset - 3

​Injector 4 Pulse Offset - 2

As for ignition (just a guess without opening the software):

Ignition 1 Pulse Offset - 0

Ignition 2 Pulse Offset - 1

Ignition 3 Pulse Offset - 255

Ignition 4 Pulse Offset - 255

Ignition 5 Pulse Offset - 255

Ignition 6 Pulse Offset - 255

if that fails, reverse.

I might have my base file somewhere on my other laptop.

Been a very long time since though!

Good luck!

Booyar

Booyar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Thanks for the help, see what you mean about rising Vs falling edge so will change it back.

Unfortunately due to my trigger disc being 4+2 I can't run the injectors in sequential so they have to stay banked.

The set up is as follows:

Engine number used is 9.

Calibration:

Velocity Tracking Rate (2) - 2
Starting Below RPM - 350
Starting Mode - 0
RPM Divider - 120000

Trigger Sequencing:
Trigger Mode - Dual Pulse
Trigger Sequence Count Reset - 2 (Not sure if this is set right or not?)
Trigger Sync Every 2 Revolutions - Off (Figured this should be on?)
Trigger 1 Single Pulse Noise Detect - 0 (Not sure about this setting?)
Trigger 1 No Noise Above Pulse Time - 66.664 (Not sure about this setting?)
Trigger 1 Dual Pulse Window - 3 (Not sure about this setting?)

Injection Sequencing:
Injectors are wired in order of cylinders so are set up like this:
Injector 1 Pulse Offset - 0
Injector 2 Pulse Offset - 1
Injector 3 Pulse Offset - 1
Injector 4 Pulse Offset - 0
Injector Staged Pulse Offset 0
Injector 1 Pulse Skip - 1
Injector 2 Pulse Skip - 1
Injector 3 Pulse Skip - 1
Injector 4 Pulse Skip - 1
Injector Staged Pulse Skip 0

Ignition Sequencing:
Ignition 1 runs plugs 2 & 3 and output 2 runs plugs 1 & 4 so it is set up like this:
Ignition 1 Pulse Offset - 1
Ignition 2 Pulse Offset - 0
Ignition 3 Pulse Offset - 255
Ignition 4 Pulse Offset - 255
Ignition 5 Pulse Offset - 255
Ignition 6 Pulse Offset - 255

The pulse skip for each channel is set up like this:
Ignition 1 Pulse Skip - 1
Ignition 2 Pulse Skip - 1
Ignition 3 Pulse Skip - 255
Ignition 4 Pulse Skip - 255
Ignition 5 Pulse Skip - 255
Ignition 6 Pulse Skip - 255 

Starion VR4 Derek

Starion VR4 Derek

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBurrum Heads

You want falling edge as the rising edge of the waveform will vary on the rpm.. Falling will always be fixed.

This is my understanding.

Usually on Hall effect , but on optical it has to be rising,Wolf, Motec,Haltech,EMS, etc all state Rising.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Is the VR4 Hall and Evo optical?

Edited by bazeng, 30 August 2016 - 09:19 AM.

Booyar

Booyar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm only running an optical CAS, no crank trigger at all.

Starion VR4 Derek

Starion VR4 Derek

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBurrum Heads

Is the VR4 Hall and Evo optical?

It's optical.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Check this out...
http://forums.turbob...ad.php?t=224740

Vr4 optical. Evo??

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I've always questioned my settings with falling or rising settings. Our cars will work with either.

Good point also with the crank trigger as I'm also running a kiggly crank trigger which is magnetic.

I'm not sure if i have changed my settings to suit...

Booyar

Booyar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Check this out...
http://forums.turbob...ad.php?t=224740

Vr4 optical. Evo??

I am running the first CAS in the link, an optical unit. Although my trigger disc only has one hole for each firing event plus an extra reference trailing hole after two opposing single ones (as pictured in the first post), it obviously worked well at some stage as the engine was making around 350HP. I have gone over everything in the wiring so many times and can't find anything wrong so I figure it has to be something to do with the software setup or a dud ECU. The fact that the ECU seems to fire ok at extremely low speed (around 300rpm) when I run the CAS with a drill but it starts firing all over the place at higher speeds makes me think the CAS or disc is the issue but the waveform looks fine using a CRO. This makes me think it has something to do with the following set-up but I am having a hard time finding anyone who is using a 4+2 trigger disc like I am so I can't compare settings. 

Engine number used is 9.

Calibration:
Velocity Tracking Rate (2) - 2
Starting Below RPM - 350
Starting Mode - 0
RPM Divider - 120000

Trigger Sequencing:
Trigger Mode - Dual Pulse
Trigger Sequence Count Reset - 2 (Not sure if this is set right or not?)
Trigger Sync Every 2 Revolutions - Off (Figured this should be on?)
Trigger 1 Single Pulse Noise Detect - 0 (Not sure about this setting?)
Trigger 1 No Noise Above Pulse Time - 66.664 (Not sure about this setting?)
Trigger 1 Dual Pulse Window - 3 (Not sure about this setting?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users