Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cyclone Intake Manifold Clean and Rebuild

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

Has anyone done it?

The top end of my 6-bolt VR4 'EVO' engine needs a freshen up and I thought I may as well clean and rebuild the intake manifold while i'm at it. It's an "ECI Multi Turbo Intercooler" Cyclone intake. Are these any different in design than the "Cyclone Turbo Intercooler" or is that the AMG 'ECI Multi' intakes only?

Attached Thumbnails

• 425840693.jpg

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Different to the AMG. Same as jspec cyclones from appearance.

I would suggest not to split the manifold due to difficulty in getting gaskets.

Degrease and hose is all I would do.
Then smooth and paint or polish the top.

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

Thanks Barry. The gaskets were going to be my next question!

Is a media blast and powder coat out of the question?

Should I consider an N/A intake manifold instead? I am running a TD05 20G @ 25psi and Kelford 264/260

Edited by CLuTZ, 14 January 2016 - 08:28 PM.

blackvr

blackvr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

I made more power from 4000 rpm on with the NA/Aspec log type manifold, but gave away a little torque down low. However, running with E85 fuel, it really didn't feel any worse at the lower revs and light load areas

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

How much more power Mike? Did you do back to back dyno testing of an aus spec ECIMulti vs Cyclone?

I've been scouring the net for the last week looking for info to see if anyone has done any comparative dyno testing. I was thinking to do it myself but I cbf taking that chunky ass Cyclone off. If you have some dyno results with only the manifold changed between runs that would be epic..!

I was going to swap mine out for an aus spec manifold but I think I'll try tinkering with the Cyclone before discarding it. I prefer low rpm response over high rpm peaks.

Mike, what do you think the best way of switching it would be? RPM vs MAP? Using the stock vacuum actuator, you can set it to whatever RPM you wish. Ultimately I think the best way would be to do two dyno runs with the runners fully opened and closed, and base the switchover point to where the torque curves cross over.

Though by the same token, if using a wastegate actuator, the runners will be switched over only once positive pressure has built up in the manifold, and you'd assume that once forced induction comes into play, a long high velocity air route wouldn't really play much of a part in volumetric efficiency and the higher spring tension and/or options to use a flow control valve would offer progressive transition of the butterfly valves?

Opinions? I'm leaning towards the former, you can't argue with results, but it would be nice to hear from people that have more experience with them.

Also Dre I believe the gaskets are steel. Nigel pulled one apart the other day and said so.

Here you go. The bloke reckons there was a lot in it - http://www.dsmtuners...-ported.302154/

EDIT: Sorry to hijack the thread, but I thought you might benefit from knowing too Dre. Otherwise, feel free to PM me Mike - cheers!

Edited by MDK87, 20 January 2016 - 01:05 AM.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Bazeng flow tested a heap of intakes on here. The thread will be around.

id use the stock vacuum actuator.

Would be interesting to log its movements, just because the actuator (may?) see boost and vacuum.
i presume vacuum and small boost sees the small runners (with perhaps a spring to hold it shut) and when on boost, it opens, but with a solonoid to hold it on the small ports at some times. (When engine cold?)
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
I think maf would be the best for switching times.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Actually yeah I never thought about MAF. Could possibly be a good contender. Might get a bit tricky getting a clean reliable switch from it though. I plan on going speed density, thats why I never thought about it.

The actuator only ever sees atmo (at rest) and vacuum (active) and is switched at 4,100RPM on a stock ECU.

Would be good to see Cyclone vs Aus spec manifold dyno results, if anyone knows of any floating about.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Ebay sell a photoelectric switch for a few $$. Remove light sensor and add the maf output. Adjust the onboard adjuster to your required switching point.
it will give you a dpst relay to work the solonoid.

if you wanted rpm switch, it might do it from the tacho wire, but that has like 50v on it or something so might need a voltage divider.

It would certainly work on your map sensor.

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

That is a good idea. RPM window switches are like $50.

Mind posting a link of the exact device you're talking about? Cheers.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
ebay item no^

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
http://www.autospeed...switch&A=113008

autospeed article to help.not sure how to trigger it with rpm....(edit. Derr) trigger with cas or cps for rpm.
Id get a couple of switches as they very cheap

Edited by jack be nimble, 21 January 2016 - 10:05 AM.

blackvr

blackvr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Mo, I cant find the dyno sheets... but yes, it was back to back on the same engine within a day. We were using a TD06-20G on E85 and around 27psi. The ASPEC manifold well and truly outperformed the Cyclone dual runner manifold after 4500 rpm. There were power gains ( worthwhile) under 3000 rpm on the Cyclone. We weren't that interested in under 3000 rpm, and were chasing power over all. We stuck with the ASPEC log manifold.

I mapped the Cyclone with one of the EGR outputs on the ECMTuning chips . A simple RPM vs Load trigger. Doesn't have to be that tricky ! And yes, the switch point was determined from the crossover point after running long vs short runners only

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Awesome stuff Mike.. Thanks heaps mate  :thumbsup:

Jack, would you be able to replace the LDR with an AC signal? Might need signal conditioning, but a handy little unit for the price for sure. Cheers.

*End hijack* 

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
You can replace it with a 0-5v dc signal afaik.
but you only need a diode to turn a full ac wave to a dc/rectified half wave, or a rectifier to turn it to a dc (rectified full wave?) (A double hump shape).
Then a voltage divider if you need to reduce the dc peak.

im not a guru on this stuff, i think enginr is electronics based?

Edited by jack be nimble, 22 January 2016 - 02:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users