Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Possible Boost leak

- - - - - rvr ssg boost leak

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

RVR-ED

RVR-ED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMaitland,NSW

Hi guys, recently I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and turbo gaskets on my RVR as they had massive leaks in them and was down on a lot of power and had LOTS of turbo lag, so I replaced them all and maked sure I torqued all the bolts up correctly and she runs great again no leaks from what I can hear or see. A few weeks after I did this I niticed that under loud and going for it I could hear a high pitch whistl coming forom the engine bay and I was just wondering if that'd be from a leak somewhere or if it's supposed to do that. This might be a really dumb thing to ask but I'd prefer to ask and know than to leave it and never find out. 

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Build a tester and test it.
Sounds like a leak tho. a pretty bad one if you can hear it when pushing hard
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney

I've found that when you get a whistle it tends to be an exhaust leak rather than pressure leak in the charge pipes. Check the dump to down pipe gasket if it sounds like it's coming from the engine bay.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
As above...
Check turbo to exhaust mani too...thats a common one.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

RVR-ED

RVR-ED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMaitland,NSW

I'm just confused as to why it'd be doing it as I replaced all those gaskets about a month ago

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Hot and them cold tends to make them loosen off...especially if you didnt re torque after a few cycles.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Plus one for the bolts from manifold to turbo. I had the same issue.
Although you may have torqued them up, the do require a few heat cycles and re tensioning.
Glad the RVR is going better!

RVR-ED

RVR-ED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMaitland,NSW

Ah ok, I'll give re-tensioning them a go. I also took it to 3 of my friends that are mechanics and all of them said that it'll just be the turbo that's whistling...

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
If it still has standard intake and airbox you wont hear whistling. Its an exhaust leak 100%

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
I have a sizable leak from turbo to dump (its a divorced set up), can feel the gasses escaping, with my hands, at idle. I broke a stud when installing the dump and forgot all about it, lol. Gotta get around to drilling and retapping....
I have a slight whistle from changed intake set up but when under high load/boost it whistles rather loud.

RVR-ED

RVR-ED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMaitland,NSW
Yeah intakes 100% stock. But it has a evo 3 td05-16g turbo and dump and exhaust manifold and 3" mandrel bent exhaust. I don't know if that makes it whistle at all?

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Don't know mate, unless you have decat exhaust and a cone filter you probably still wouldn't hear whistle except for slight spool noose.
I would be checking the exhaust myself.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts

Yeah intakes 100% stock. But it has a evo 3 td05-16g turbo and dump and exhaust manifold and 3" mandrel bent exhaust. I don't know if that makes it whistle at all?

No. Just check all the parts where gaskets are and report back..

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Hey matey, did you get this sorted as yet? Also worth checking the O2 sensor as well, they can let out a nice whistling noise if not in tight.....

RVR-ED

RVR-ED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMaitland,NSW
Unfortunately I haven't been able to yet as I am on holiday up the coast in brisabane but will fix it when I get back.

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
All good mate, was just curious. Enjoy the break bud.

RVR-ED

RVR-ED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationMaitland,NSW

Ok, so I couldn't help myself i ended up spending about half an hour while on holiday and with minimal tools to tighten all the exhaust bolts up and low and behold the whistle is gone!! hopefully it stays that way :)

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
A good fix is a easy fix. Nice one
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rvr, ssg, boost, leak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users