Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ECU Pin Swaps

- - - - - GSR Evo Evo 6 Evo VI ECU

• Please log in to reply
240 replies to this topic

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
I have a elm320 bluetooth thing. You could plug that in and try the comms?
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

3VOLUTIONIST

3VOLUTIONIST

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationPerth, Balcatta

See if it talks to anything you mean? My friend has one of those I think, hes just down the road, I'll give it a shot :)

Edited by 3VOLUTIONIST, 13 April 2015 - 01:34 PM.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Yea, see if anything is coming out of it. I think that torque app is usable to check for a connection. Or use whatever app he uses.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

3VOLUTIONIST

3VOLUTIONIST

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Righteo, update time. After much disassembling of the dashboard, re assembling of the dashboard, scratching of my head, swearing, and more dashboard disassembly, I solved the problem!

Turns out the 12 pin Mitsubishi connector with the reflashing pin, had the pin in the wrong spot!

I assumed that the reflashing plug with the serial connector that comes with the Tactrix plug, had all pins connected to the serial plug (as theres only one pin that it connects to), so when I checked for continuity I discovered that I had assumed wrong, swapped the pin on the mitsubishi connector to the right location and voila! it read the ECU and game me an XML ID of 24430002.

Now to figure out EvoScan, that throws up Error: J2534 init error ERR_FAILED 

When I try to datalog. But hey, at least I can talk to the ECU now!

Edited by 3VOLUTIONIST, 15 April 2015 - 10:59 AM.

Dave_GSR1.8

Dave_GSR1.8

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Gawd... this sounds way beyond me! I'm impressed, I have not dared to fiddle with the ECU connections for fear of frying something, which is a problem since I want to connect an innovate LC2 to my ECM link chipped ECU... so, a bit embarassed to ask but, how did you splice wires into the ECU plug?

ie you mentioned you had done all these swaps

Pins 3 and 16 combined and moved to pin 20. - Rad fans to RAD FAN HI
Pin 40 moved to pin 11 - Waste gate solenoid
Pin 71 joined with pin 26, then left as is - Ground wires
Pin 33 to pin 3 - Fuel pressure solenoid
Pin 11 to pin 22 - Fan relay combined to A/C comp relay

So, for example, what did you do to join the wires from pins 3 and 16 and connect them to pin 20?

Did you solder, or do something with crimping ?

Apologies for the thread hijack but you must be doing something right, because you havn't killed anything yet.

3VOLUTIONIST

3VOLUTIONIST

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Gawd... this sounds way beyond me! I'm impressed, I have not dared to fiddle with the ECU connections for fear of frying something, which is a problem since I want to connect an innovate LC2 to my ECM link chipped ECU... so, a bit embarassed to ask but, how did you splice wires into the ECU plug?

ie you mentioned you had done all these swaps

Pins 3 and 16 combined and moved to pin 20. - Rad fans to RAD FAN HI
Pin 40 moved to pin 11 - Waste gate solenoid
Pin 71 joined with pin 26, then left as is - Ground wires
Pin 33 to pin 3 - Fuel pressure solenoid
Pin 11 to pin 22 - Fan relay combined to A/C comp relay

So, for example, what did you do to join the wires from pins 3 and 16 and connect them to pin 20?

Did you solder, or do something with crimping ?

Apologies for the thread hijack but you must be doing something right, because you havn't killed anything yet.

It is a bit scary when you first look at it, I must admit, and it's terrifying because you think that you'll fry your ECU the minute you touch two wires together, but it's actually fairly easy, and now that I've managed to do it, even easier! :D

The pins are removable from the plugs, so for swaps, all you have to do is just pull the pin out and put it into the other spot, they have a little catch on them, and a lock on the underside of the plug, but it's not too hard to remove the pins. As for joining pins 3 and 16, I snipped the pin off one of them, stripped the end of the wire back, then used a pen knife to remove the insulation from the other, wrapped them together, and soldered. Bit of heat shrink, and youre set :)

The car runs fine and didn't give my any weird AFR's, so the injector trims that the ECU needs to run to get the correct AFR's for the 4G93 must be within the max/min that it can do. Once I get my logging software sorted, I'll be able to see what the fuel trims actually are.

Edited by 3VOLUTIONIST, 15 April 2015 - 01:03 PM.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
I use a needle to flick the catches on the ecu pins.
for joining wires I strip a tiny bit, and strip another tiny bit and use a stanley kn8fe to remove the insulation between.
I solder all connections. All..

3VOLUTIONIST

3VOLUTIONIST

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Yeh, youll need something small and sharp to get pins out of the connectors, I sed some very sharp tweezers, can be a pain, but once you get the hang of it it's fine 

3VOLUTIONIST

3VOLUTIONIST

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Well. I bricked it! (it seems)

After pulling the ROM, all I changed was the rev limit, down to 7000, tried to flash it back, Flash failed halfway through, now the car doesn't start & the relays in the engine bay go mental when you turn the key to on. Wonderful! :thumbsdown:

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
That's why the 'test write' function is there Liam! There is a process documented to unbrick somewhere. Have a search.
I HATE BEING BIPOLAR........IT'S AWESOME!!

3VOLUTIONIST

3VOLUTIONIST

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Yup, I know, I did a test write beforehand, it worked fine, exactly as it should have. Then when I tried to flash it, it stopped at 41%, threw up an error, and hasn't been working since. This guy had the EXACT same problem with his ECU, seems to be a rare issue with them. Havent been able to find any other documented cases of it with the MH7202F processor, it's much more comon with the TME processor MH7203, but that's not mine.

http://www.geekmappe...read.php?t=3442

I've tried everything he tried, still failed to solve the problem (as it failed with his ECU too)

Looks like I'll just chuck an Evo 7 or 8 ECU in there. That will allow me to use Tephramod V7 at least, look at the upside :)

I've got it out of the car at the moment, trying to benchflash it, not succeeding (expectedly)

Edited by 3VOLUTIONIST, 17 April 2015 - 11:31 AM.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
That sux. I didnt think they were that fragile

3VOLUTIONIST

3VOLUTIONIST

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'm pretty sure they're not, there's only the one other case it of it happening that I could find, unfortunately he didn't find a solution either. Just my luck. Picking up a 7 ECU Sunday arvo, chucked the standard MAF, injectors, and ECU back in for now (reversed the pin swaps)

3VOLUTIONIST

3VOLUTIONIST

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Will the 787 MAF be compatible with an evo 7 ECU? should be pretty close, might need a little bit of rescaling I'm guessing.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Pretty close right up to 2000(htz?) I think.

3VOLUTIONIST

3VOLUTIONIST

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Should be close enough to get it idling, I'll play with the scaling if I have to, I'm sure someone on the internet has done it. "Should be easy"

famous last words...

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
Bricked after a successful test write? Fuck, that's scary. I'd imagine the bench flash won't be much different in that case. Before you chuck it out, downgrade ECU flash to 1.43.000, I have it on good authority that it's the best with odd ECU's.
I HATE BEING BIPOLAR........IT'S AWESOME!!

3VOLUTIONIST

3VOLUTIONIST

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I have to swap the pins back to evo 6 spec to do an "evo 6 to evo 7 ecu swap" anyway, so I'll give it a try then George :)
And yes. Was not very happy!
Bench flash gained no response from it either.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Where is the bench flash procedure?
Im dying to look in my evo ecu

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Bad luck Liam, interested to see if you find out a way around this.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GSR, Evo, Evo 6, Evo VI, ECU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users