Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grinding Gearbox Help!!!!!

- - - - - rvr 4g63 transmission

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

rhodieee

rhodieee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Hey guys! I have a 1995 RVR Sportgear and just bought it recently. I'm having problems with the gearbox. It grinds when I put it in reverse unless i open up the synchros by putting it in 1st then 2nd then back to 1st then put it in reverse and then there is no grinding. But now its starting to grind while im driving when i put it into 2nd gear. Would you guys have any idea on why it grinds and how much would it cost to get it fix? Cheers!  :)

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
http://www.4gtuner.c...ng/#entry314405

Not sure why you made another topic / post asking the exact same thing as earlier? ?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

Start by dumping the transmission oil out and putting new oil in it first.

It could just have been a long time since it's had an oil change done.

The Oil dump plug/bolt is at the rear end of the gearbox at the bottom. Its a large socket size, you cant miss it. 

The Oil refill plug/bolt is on the front of the gearbox, you will see a nut that says OIL embossed on it. It is facing the front of the car. 

The AWD transmission will take approx. 2.2 litres of oil to fill it back up til the oil starts to overflow back out of the filler hole.

The best way to refill it is with a transmission fluid oil pump, otherwise you will find it pretty awkward getting the oil into the refill hole. There are several different types you can use. I've included a couple of examples. 

I recommend usinge Redline MT-90 transmission oil.

See pics :thumbsup:

If it still grinds then yeah, you will need to open the gearbox and check out the condition of the synchros, keys, springs and hub sliders.

Best to try with some good oil first to see if it fixes it before spending big $$ on a reco gearbox.

Cost wise it all depends on what needs replacing but a general reco with new bearings, synchros, keys, springs, seals etc is over $1200 including labour.

Thankyou for shopping at Wallmart. Please come again.

Attached Thumbnails

• Redline MT90 2.2L to fill gearbox.jpg
  • pump.jpg
  • W5M33 Oil Refill.jpg
  • pump2.jpg

Edited by EVO-00X, 25 February 2015 - 01:25 PM.

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Clutch drag.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
Do not post the same issue in multiple areas, that's why I deleted the other post you made last night....

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rvr, 4g63, transmission

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users