Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lowered springs and amount of lowering....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SilverCBGSR

SilverCBGSR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Hi guys,

I hace a CB Lancer GSR, with a standard 1.6l engine (non turbo), with standard 14inch alloys.

I bought a set of used springs and KYB Excel G's off a forum member.

The springs are Lovells sports lows, so they are supposed to lower the car about 25 to 40mm. I installed them and it has lowered the car around 41 or 42mm depending on which corner I measure......neither here or there.

The thing is, the cross member is now just under the magic 100mm off the ground y a few mm's, so technically, it's doesn't comply with Vicroads.

Has anyone had this problem before? The springs and shocks are second hand, so have they sagged? I just don't get it......It's not that low, yet the cross-member is too low....it's doing my head in!

Is there a spacer or shim I can insert between the spring and strut to give me a little more clearance from the ground (I'm after around 15 or 20mm) or just buy new springs or put the old springs back in?

I suppose this is where coilovers come into their own!  

Any advice will do. Anyone else had this issue?

Cheers

Rob

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Hey rob. Find a springworks in your area. Not lovells or pedders, someone that can reset coil springs. Take the coils to him and get them reset. If you tell him 10mm taller, the installed reset will be damn on 10mm raised.
This will cost around $50 for the pair. And he can reset 1 side more than the other to get it back level too
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

SilverCBGSR

SilverCBGSR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Thanks Jack.

I might just do that. Now that I know what I need I will get them reset.

Cheers

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Its all pretty easy if you have spring compressors. If not, they are pretty cheap from supercheap or similar. And a rattlegun makes short work of compressing the springs.

let us know how it goes.
I use fremantle spring works in oconnor over this side. I havent used him in a bit, so not sure on my pricing.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

Personally I wouldn't worry about it until someone (the police) mentions it. Until then- don't stress!

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Agree^
I thought you had to rego it so needed it lifted. I had some rubber blocks that woult squeeze between the coils, they werent much good.

had another mate, he had a monaro. They say he used to fill boot with water in containers and then pump up the rear shocks till the front was high enough. It sounds a bit like bullpoo, but you never know...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users