Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Benzo's 1994 RVR SG

- - - - - RVR

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

Okay, so I thought I would start a members ride/build post. Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong spot

This is not a fancy show car, never will be, but I can guarantee you'll see some new things in the course of this thread ;)

I have been at this thing for a while, and I have posted up a lot of pics under various titles, but I'll start with the first of the pics and try to make it look like there is some sort of order.

The details:

The car is a 1994 RVR SG non-turbo manual. I had a complete Evo 3 engine with forged internals lying around my shed and thought it would make a nice change to the atmo engine (DUH!)

I have lost count of the $ spent, which is probably a survival mechanism. I have fabricated all manner of interesting parts to make it what I want, I will post it all up in order as I go, but for this post I'll

start with some of the engine details and the first pics of the car when I brought it home Feb 2013

I bought a genuine Evo 3 engine (can tell by the welsh plug location) which had CP pistons and Eagle rods. I also bought an Eagle knife edged crank and got the whole lot machined and balanced.

I treated the pistons to ceramic coated crowns and dry film skirts.

Anyway, I thought I'd start at the beginning with the first pic I took of it, complete with bob jane all rounders and cheap arse 16" wheels.

I stripped the interior out the same day.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20130415_072232.jpg
  • Stripped.jpg

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
This should be interesting.......
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

And so it begins....

TBOWGN

TBOWGN

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Jeez there's a few of us building RVR's at the moment :)

Looking forward to the next few pics...

Black and White RVR Hypergear

Mad_Polly_Logo.jpg

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Todays post is brought to you by the letter I, I is for intercooler.

Because I wanted the RVR to be a sleeper build I didn't want to run a top mount like the SSGs do, so I looked into running front mount like a HSG but blacked out. Not to be, the IC would have to sit in

the same place as a HSG

meaning I'd have to run a HSG front bar. So I had to think about W/A to keep it all sleeperish.

I bought a Spearco 2-231 and radiator off Ebay. Everyone says W/A is not that great, and after seeing the measly radiator it came with I can't blame them, it's pathetic. Set up to fail out of the box. It's

on the left with a can of carb clean for scale. 

Heat exchangers centre and left.jpg

So I used a CC lancer Air con condenser for my W/A radiator and after some modifications it fitted well. I also had to cut the radiator support out, but I replaced it with a power window track which was

heaps thinner so I could keep it all supported.

20131015_182228.jpg

Most systems run a bilge pump, again with the fail, can't run continuously and pump too fast IMO. I opted for an agricultural diaphragm pump that can run continuously and pumps at a rate of 8 litres

per minute which will cycle a third of the total system volume in that time. I mounted the pump under the drivers seat and made the switch out of a spare hazard switch but I put it on the right hand side

blank. There is a drain tap near the pump for those times I need to drop some water to fit more ice in, Mwahahaha!

Pump 2.jpg

I made a reserve tank that holds 14 litres in the weird little cupboard in the rear, you'll have to see the pics to understand if you don't have an RVR. The water lines run under the drivers seat and

and through the loom hole in the inner guard before heading into the engine bay.

Dummy fit of reservior.jpg

I had to rotate and move the fuse box forward and make new mounts, I also had to relocate the washer reservoir and modify it to fit the 3" intake pipe through.

Spearco 1.jpg

Spearco 3.jpg

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Best use of wierd little RVR cupboard ever....i never know what to put in mine, note to self, stray cats are not a good idea :P

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
I liked this when I read it the first time.
W2a ftw
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Best use of wierd little RVR cupboard ever....i never know what to put in mine, note to self, stray cats are not a good idea :P

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  "This car is protected by an ill tempered feral cat stuffed in the weird cupboard, steal at your own risk!"

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Love your ingenious madness when it comes to thinking out of the box !
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Whens this bloody thing going to be on the road but?? FFS its been too long !!

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Yeah, but if I do it the normal way I have to do it twice Jamo..........it has to be done Benzo style.

I have a set of 5 genuine Evo 8 Enkeis to go on.

Wheels.jpg

And I did a bit more work on this before work, it's almost done. I used a spare dash cluster surround and cut it all to fit, lots of work shaving the edges down so they blend, the pic does not show much

detail.

I've made the gauge mount out of balsa wood, it's easy to use and can be shaped with a bench grinder. I'll bog it up to spec and then paint it in flat black. The dash indent will be covered in the black 

plastic that is visible under the gauge pod, I can run the wires under it to make it neat. I also have some trim carpet harvested from the back of a fold down seat from one of my nuts and bolt wrecking

yard visits behind it all to hide the cuts and lumpy plastic.

I'm going to use Velcro to keep the gauges in place, that way I can remove them without destroying the rest of it. And yes, they are saas gauges....personally I see gauges as a decorative idiot

light, I'm looking for abnormal movement not precise readouts, but I realise most will say otherwise. They are oil pressure, oil temp and intercooler water temp at intercooler exit. I have AEM for the

other more important things like wideband and EBC. I may at some stage get better gauges.

Gauge pod mockup.jpg

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Evo 8 Enkies are as good as they get when it comes to factory wheels...only ones that are better are the Evo 9 BBS.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Cant wait to see what our mad hatter will do with 5 of them tho.
Mono wheeled trailer for a sup?
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Na...hes gonna have it as a mobile hose reel on the back so he can wash the car while driving.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

You guys know me too well!

I'm planning on making it the hatch for the flux capacitor that I'll be building out of furballs and coathangers.

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
Hey man, what did you hack up to make that dash gauge add on bit, it's awesome!!!

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Cheers Mike ;)

I had a complete spare RVR dash so I put on my white coat and had at it! 

It's the same part as the regular cluster including the grey part, just cut down and recessed a little so it mates up with the existing cluster surround. 

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

My motivational pics

CP & Eagle.jpg

Goodies.jpg

Turbo setup.jpg

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
That turbo.and manifold combo should work a treat !

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

I'm hoping so......Planning on 30 psi on the forged engine, probably 18 psi tops with the stock one that's in atm. I don't think that turbo will even be awake at 18 psi! I almost feel sorry for the stock engine, it's gonna get it!

The plan is to put all the goodies on, 1000cc inj, WB, SD, link etc and use the stocker as the guinea pig so I don't have to balls about tuning a freshly built engine too much, a tweak or two will probably be all that's needed. I don't

want to run the risk of glazing the bores with over fueling or roasting it by leaning it. The ceramic and dry film coat on the pistons is a bit of insurance I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users