Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Magazine info needed! 4G93T CD5A Upgrades

- - - - - GSR CD5A EVO E3 4G93T 4G63T

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Renenzpc

Renenzpc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Hey guys, my names Rene I am a contributing editor at NZ Performance Car Magazine. Every month I run a feature named 'Scrapyard Gains'. It's basically a feature on a lower spec performance car, which has the ability to be upgraded with stuff from the models above it. In the past I have featured the DC2 SiR Integra, as opposed to the Type R. I have featured the GC8 WRX, not the STI. The whole point of the feature is to help the guys out with the lower spec cars with knowledge of upgrades that are available on the cheap, not all of us have thousands to spend!.

Next months feature is on the Mitsubishi Lancer GSR CD5A, so this is where you come in. 

So, I need to collect everyone's wisdom in one location to help me with the article, and what a great opportunity to have this stickied later on!

I have been reading the forum all day, and from what I can see, EV0 1-3 stuff is a great upgrade. 

I cover three categories which are: Engine, Interior/Exterior and Driveline/Braking.

If you have something of use to add to the thread, please mention the above title at the start of your post. 

I am relying on all of you rad Mitsi dudes to help me out on this article!

Fire away and be as detailed as possible please, this is a tech article after all. 

If anyone would prefer to send me some useful knowledge my email is rene@performancecar.co.nz 

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
If you wish for us to contribute to something that earns you money.....you might want to consider becoming a donating member of the forum??
  • ted likes this
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

agreed or perhaps supply a copy of said article for the community. as you said there alot of info on here just trawl this section and you'll see that upgrade range from simple bolt ons all the way up to full transplants.

we don't mean to be rude or unhelpful but as an enthusiast community we do alot to support ourselves and if a company or person want to gain from us we'd like something in return

• ted likes this

yes it's me KHUBNER

Renenzpc

Renenzpc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

No worries guys, I was just hoping to compile all of the data in one place for people wanting to achieve the same things without searching. 
How I contribute is by spending my month researching so others don't need too. My goal is to have this information more readily available for people all over in an easy to follow guide. 
I myself have never had much money, and I felt the magazine lacked a section for people that want to modify their cars the way I had too with no coin.
This article will in no way earn me any money, nor does it need to be in the magazine, our sales staff couldn't care less, but I want people to help out. 
People have been more than willing to help out in the past with these features and I got told you guys would be the same! I spent the whole day yesterday researching, so I will just have to use that information. 

Once the article is complete, I am more than happy to post it up here so it can be used as a sticky! One of our staffers Todd used to own NFORCA the fastest GSR in NZ so he has been quite useful with my research.

I didn't want to step on anyone's toes here, just asking for some help. Thanks for your time everyone!

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

we are more than happy to help out i've sent you some info and as far as i feel the only contribution I'd like you to make is something for the community to use. a copy of the article post publish would be much appreciated and perhaps a mention of the forum. this help draw in new members who could then ask their own questions and experience the help that you've no doubt seen in some threads you've looked at. in the interest of transparency i'll post here what i sent you.

any other members are more than welcome to add to this if they want.

As far as engine upgrades go your best bang for buck upgrade is to go evo 1-3 /vr4 turbo the evo 1-3 td05 16g offers more flow however the vr4 td05 14b offers faster spool. To support this you'll also want the FMIC, air flow meter any 609 labeled unit will be fine (these are found on other models as well that don't command the premium of evo parts) evo intake pipe as the afm has an oval outlet, 510cc injectors (low impedance) and an evo 1-3 ecu all if this is 100% bolt on and go. It is however recommended that the 4g93 exhaust manifold be removed and the outlet into the turbo be enlarged to match that of the turbo. There is a considerable size difference between the two and it does have an effect on the turbo spool time.

From here it's really time to start spending money. As the rods of the 4g93t are the same as their n/a counterparts and are the first weak link you will encounter people tend to say no more than 15psi of boost but I feel even this is pushing it. As it's not power but torque that bends them.

At this point your choice is really between building a forged power capable 1.8l or going the 2l 4g63 many people opt for the 2l as it's generally cheaper and more capable for less outlay to do this the 2l engine loom and other mods to things like the ac system are required. Obviously the 2l or 1.8 options at this point require some form of engine management to break past the factory tune.

ECM link is popular for mild setups and full standalone engine management for more extreme.

All evo drive-line components are interchangeable as are suspension components (when buying aftermarket coils etc look for evo 1-3) a lot of people opt to hybridize the gearbox taking the stronger evo 1st and 2nd gears and combining with gsr final drive ratio

On the inside again pretty much everything is interchangeable with just unbolt and swap. The factory digital climate control is transferable but a complete interior harness swap is recommended for best results.

Same goes for the exterior if you can find the parts

yes it's me KHUBNER

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
The other afm is the 055, the 609 even if its off a magna will still get sold as a evo unit just with the sticker removed

and with the evo bolt ons, 18 psi is actually the point of which ya dont cross, tried and tested on 17-18psi for effin ages

And to be honest, im actually questioning going from a td04l to a td05 14b, the flow rates at 15psi has a difference of a mere 40-45 cfm,Turbo cfm for each turbo is td04- 360cfm
td05 14b- 405cfm
or the td05 16g -505cfm<- imo, winner!
Spool or lag, pfft chop back a gear or stall it up a little, otherwise buy a echo, these aint for nana drivers

and another thing ya can swap over is the t/b, ive driven with both an it can get debatable where ya win an lose power but all I know is it does pull harder with the evo/magna t/b

other thing ya should do (although I only did 6 months ago) is upgrsde ya fuel pump, 2nd hand evo 7,8,9 pumpd can be had for 20-30 bux and flows around 160lph as to the e1/gsr's piddly 80lph

I never had money either and the car scene I came from was all about a brother hood that share a passion and share knowledge an skills, money was never the staple of modding cars, it was always about having fun, money only made it easier

chur, Jamie

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

The other afm is the 055, the 609 even if its off a magna will still get sold as a evo unit just with the sticker removed

and with the evo bolt ons, 18 psi is actually the point of which ya dont cross, tried and tested on 17-18psi for effin ages

And to be honest, im actually questioning going from a td04l to a td05 14b, the flow rates at 15psi has a difference of a mere 40-45 cfm,Turbo cfm for each turbo is td04- 360cfm
td05 14b- 405cfm
or the td05 16g -505cfm<- imo, winner!
Spool or lag, pfft chop back a gear or stall it up a little, otherwise buy a echo, these aint for nana drivers

and another thing ya can swap over is the t/b, ive driven with both an it can get debatable where ya win an lose power but all I know is it does pull harder with the evo/magna t/b

other thing ya should do (although I only did 6 months ago) is upgrsde ya fuel pump, 2nd hand evo 7,8,9 pumpd can be had for 20-30 bux and flows around 160lph as to the e1/gsr's piddly 80lph

I never had money either and the car scene I came from was all about a brother hood that share a passion and share knowledge an skills, money was never the staple of modding cars, it was always about having fun, money only made it easier

chur, Jamie

the point i was trying to make with the 609 label is to avoid using the word evo when i come to parts hunting as there are some people out there who'd charge much more simply because of the word evo. on ebay 80-109 dolars for an evo afm my local wrecker 70 flat for any afm others are as low as 50 but mention the word evo and it becomes a unicorn that either impossible to find (at a wrecker) or commands a premium

another thing i could suggest to readers where possible avoid using the word evo and instead look for parts based on their specifications or part numbers td05 16g turbos from suppliers like kinugawa have a good name and can be had for reasonable prices new compared to some relatively high prices on second had items

yes it's me KHUBNER

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Yea man, i agree with ya 100% thats why I threw up the other number...

Magnas have been a good donor for afm's an t/b's even the brake upgrade,
oh yea the brakes,
get evo discs an pair them with a set of twin pot magna calipers an lines (soft), make sure ya get the twin pots though cos alot of magnas have the single, only difference between the evo brakes an the magna is the fitting line, evo has a banjo type an magnas is the screw in,

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Renenzpc, on 15 Oct 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

One of our staffers Todd used to own NFORCA the fastest GSR in NZ so he has been quite useful with my research.

Ahh you said the magic word = Todd.

I've known him for years but lost touch some time ago.

Actually he was editing the mag for a while there too wasn't he. 

He knows heaps about GSR's and early EVO's :) 

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

Renenzpc

Renenzpc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks everyone, major help so far. I will probably bring some mention to the rust in the roofs too as this seems to be a problem. What about diff upgrades? EVO III? 

EVL20T

EVL20T

AWD 4G63T POWAH!

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Rear diff upgrades

You can use an evo 2/3 rear mech lsd diff centre and utilise the GSR crown wheel and pinion, that way you still maintain the CD5A 3.545 rear diff ratio

The evos also came with a rear viscous lsd, but would require a CD5A viscous crownwheel/pinion to run it aswell as the viscous driveshafts
------------ 4GTUNER STICKERS - CLICK HERE ------------

EVL20T3_zps8f8e63a1.png
------------------------- 4G63T AWD COUPE -------------------------
----------------------- WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET -----------------------

Dave_GSR1.8

Dave_GSR1.8

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

The attached PDF may help with a list of cheap mods, its really just my rough notes but should give you a feel for the sort of things that can be done, then you can reseach the forum for the correct detail

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users