Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

EVOscan or ECMlink??

- - - - - EVOscan OBD2 Datalog datacable ECU ECMlink

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

penngwyne

penngwyne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationNaracoorte SA

OK it's about time I started looking into the workings and deeper mysteries of the 4G63T

Just had a quick look at ecmlink on Doom's VR4 and it looks good (especially for the price) on his laptop.

BUT a lot of you guys seem to like EVO scan so what do you recommend for the RVR

and how do the 2 programmes compare for user friendliness, facilities, cost etc?

(I have been looking at the the tread for building my own OBD2 cable and having a hunt around the forums but would like some more expert advice)

Edited by penngwyne, 24 June 2014 - 03:55 PM.

Still love the RVR but am paranoid about little noises

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Ecm link is user friendly, great support, simple for newer tuners.
Evoscan is not as friendly, has 0 user support and is cheaper. You may have to trawl through old forims for info on getting something to connect and the info may be wrong on outdated. Get the merlin guide as it is awesome
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

leon r

leon r

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
I switched to ECM Link from AEM EMS and never looked back!

A lot of it depends on YOUR ability to tune and tinker with computers. ECM Link is much easier to use, but some people LOVE all the extra work! Also will you be doing this yourself or using a tuner? If you are using someone else get whatever they prefer.

Sort of like Droid vs iPhone debate ;)

But for most people, if they can afford it, they should get the Link!

96 Eclipse Spyder AWD (summer beater)
93 Eagle Summit TSI AWD (4G63 swap)
01 Isuzu Vehicross (winter beater)
80 Triumph TR7 (4G63 swap)
www.reitmanracing.com

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

ECM Link is an awesome piece of gear and is great for the home tuner to do the initial set up (bulk of the work) then do the final touches on a dyno.

A few things to consider though:

1/ Your ECU must be compatible with ECM Link.

2/ You need to solder on your own ECM Link chip onto your ECU. If you don't have the skill/confidence you will need to pay someone to do this.

3/ ECM Link is only available in full version for 1G (VR4s) and 2G (? Not sure what's 2G in AUS?). Evo 1-3 ECU's are sort of like 1.5G and because of this only ECM Lite is available unless you want to convert to either a VR4 ECU or later model (2G) ECU. Both cases is a ball breaker!

You WANT to get ECM Full even if you think you won't need the extra functions. Once you start tinkering you'll realize that yes in fact you do need those functions!

Not sure what 'category' RVR ECU's fall into.

-alex

---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

leon r

leon r

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
People figured out how to run ECM link in EVO8/9, Mazda MX5 (Miata), Nissan 200SX, I sure you can figure out how to run it in RVR ;)

96 Eclipse Spyder AWD (summer beater)
93 Eagle Summit TSI AWD (4G63 swap)
01 Isuzu Vehicross (winter beater)
80 Triumph TR7 (4G63 swap)
www.reitmanracing.com

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
I only have lite, I think the 2g ecu with the full version would be good. They have recently added e85 flex sensor compatibility.
I see the 2g ecu and full version for around $500us ready to go. Even compared to a late evo ecu (that will need same amount of wiring changes) I think thats pretty good.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Link to prices etc. Rvr is listed with the gsr and evo so lite version only. I see they list 2g rebuilt ecu for $245 also

http://www.ecmtuning...ex.php?cPath=25
Edit, forgot link.

Edited by jack of all, 25 June 2014 - 10:54 AM.

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

e85 flex, switchable maps, dual injector capability, electronic boost control. ECM Full is so much better!

---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EVOscan, OBD2, Datalog, datacable, ECU, ECMlink

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users