Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Just bought a 1994 Mitsubishi RVR Super Sports Gear

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

brenn gunn

brenn gunn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationIpswich, QLD, Australia

Just bought a 1994 Mitsubishi RVR Super Sports Gear on Friday. Is an interesting little car. A little 'van' type thing with a 4G63T and a W4A33 Tranny.  It was made 1994 but has 2002 compliance ? 1775XX K's on the clock. The interior and electronics seem and appear to be A1,,, but the mechanical maintenance seems to be poor, judging by the engine oil and gearbox fluid condition. Apparently it was 'the wifes car'. It dose not have an owners handbook. I have always owned Commodores until now and so I am totally lost. The gearbox works fine until you drive a bit and then it seems to start acting up,, 'harsh changes ect.' eg... I leave home in Ipswich to go to work and it works well , I get on the motorway and its fine, just sits in overdrive, but when i get to Acacia Ridge, 44k's away, it starts 'harsh changing'. I have seen things on the web about this box 'overheating' and that is the way i am inclined to think. So I figure the first thing is to give the box a service and see how things go and maybe after that an aftermarket tranny cooler would be a possibility. I have read plenty of things strongly advicing against flushing the tranny radiator on an old car.

I went to repco today to buy a service kit for the tranny but was told that only thing they had on record for a 1994 RVR was a screw in filter. I am certain that I saw on my google blitz on the weekend that the W4A33 has an internal filter?? I crawled under the car, as far as my pot gut would let me, and could not see any screw in filter. A freind of mine ,who's into Subaru's, told me that some of the old Evos had the same motor and box. One thing I learnt about Holdens was that you only buy from Holden if you absolutely have no other choice, because of the inflated prices they charge. Quite often I would find myself buying the same part from Toyota at about 2/3 the cost. Is it the same with Mitsubishi?

So the question. Where is the best place (preferably the cheapest place) to buy a service kit for a W4A33 Tranny?

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Welcome.

I need to do this on mine in a few weeks.

I was planning on just walking down to Bursons and picking one up so I guess I need to know this as well.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Wait for rockabilly to reply. I thought they took a magna screen filter inside the trans sump
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Yea the filter is the same as a fwd auto. So w4a33 (yours) and f4a33 use same filter. Im sure some magna had these. They are about $50 from usa so $90 or so here.

Lots of info here:
http://www.dsmtalk.c...x.php/f-48.html

Edited by jack of all, 05 June 2014 - 11:01 AM.

4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney
Buy this & change the filter that is inside the sump.
Put 3-4L of fluid in it. Start it up & go through all gears
a few times. Leave it in "N" idling & top it up. Test drive.
All metal filter part # KXF-1905
Sump gasket part # KPG-1900
5L Ford ATF type 95 trans fluid
Cheers

brenn gunn

brenn gunn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Thanks for the quick replies. Found this on evilbay http://www.ebay.com....3#ht_4411wt_811 Hope that is  the right one. Thanks again

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney

Same price as Motospec but that is a metal/plastic filter. If you have a spare parts local, see if they have the # I said.

Cheers

brenn gunn

brenn gunn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Cool. I got a RDO tomorrow, so I'll head down to some of the local shops and see how I go. Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Thanks for the quick replies. Found this on evilbay http://www.ebay.com....3#ht_4411wt_811 Hope that is  the right one. Thanks again

Yeah Jack that filter looks the same as the one I used in our KR Verada a few weeks ago. FWD Auto 6G72.

It was an all metal casing...if that's what Aldo means.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
All metal is the one you want.

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Called Bursons, they couldn't come to any success with "# KXF-1905".

They did give me this number though: "RTK-13"

Is this the all metal one? The case is all metal but the filter element isn't.

That's the part I was confused about. Is it meant to be a metal gauze or something?

Here is a picture - http://www.rycofilte...ies//part/RTK13

brenn gunn

brenn gunn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

looks to me as the same one on evilbay,, plastic case one side and metallic on the otherside. How much for that set?

Edited by brenn gunn, 06 June 2014 - 06:01 AM.

brenn gunn

brenn gunn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I gave the engine an oil and filter change today. Used the Ryco Z142A (with the info on this site or maybe it was on complete rvr) and used Castrol edge titanium 5w - 30. I was suprised by the tiny Z411 filter that was already on the car. Thanks to this site, or I prolly woulda replaced it with another one. Is that engine oil a bit excessive for this engine? or would you guys recommend a different engine oil??

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney
Motospec Queensland
Unit 5/80 Webster Rd
Stafford QLD 4053
Phone: 07 3356 8499
All metal filter part # KXF-1905
Sump gasket part # KPG-1900
Cheers

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

I gave the engine an oil and filter change today. Used the Ryco Z142A (with the info on this site or maybe it was on complete rvr) and used Castrol edge titanium 5w - 30. I was suprised by the tiny Z411 filter that was already on the car. Thanks to this site, or I prolly woulda replaced it with another one. Is that engine oil a bit excessive for this engine? or would you guys recommend a different engine oil??

Hey man, I run a Z411 filter on mine, as do most rvr guys i believe. Mines got some mods done, inc a fully rebuilt head and a bunch of performance stuff and I run either Penrite HPR10 (10w50) or the Nulon Street and Track (15w50) both fully synthetic oils.

brenn gunn

brenn gunn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

oh , ok. Like I said , I have no experience with any other cars other than commodores. (with the exception of checking my sisters Hyundia for engine oil once , and finding nothing on the stick. I asked her when the last time she checked her engine oil? She replied, ' I get it serviced every 6months and they check it then!!!)

One thing that I find confusing with RVR's is that they went 2 series and then stopped production and then started again a few years later with what seems a very different car. So when people say RVR I am not sure which year , model, series ect.. they are talking about or if it is even relevant to the 1994 Super sports gear that I own. Although I don't have any experience with these vehicles, I do have experience with earth moving, mowing, tractors ect and find that if you put a smaller oil filter on a machine than that, that  is recomended you usually have to maintain your machine more often. what is the upside and down side of using the Z411 upposed to the Z142A?

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Bigger the filter the better. I reckon the tiny filter would be on bypass by 3000 rpm.
I have a remote mounted z9. I would run twin z9 if they fitted.

MDK87

MDK87

Hyundai's can't fly!!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Brenn, that kit was $30 from Bursons.

Aldo thanks for those details mate.

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

My XJ Jeep runs the z9 jack hehe yea nice big filter :) I was just saying i have never had any issues with running the small z411, seems to do the job well. Anyways welcome to the club man, always good to see another RVR kicking around :D

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Read this from kiggly the 7sec dsm god:
http://kiggly-racing...l_filter_losses

Highlight the bit about 20psi loss across the filter. Also the bit about unfiltered oil, full bypass and 5000rpm.

This would have to be with a 411 size filter minimum. Who knows what occurs with the smaller 142a, but it wont perform better.

Thats why im aiming for twin z9, and a single for now. Filtered oil at 8000 rpm. Great idea. Even if you arent planning to trash rocker gear or a bearing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users