Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RVR 4G63T Engine Rebuild

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Hey guys,

I have made this thread to try and find anyone in Gold Coast/Brissy/North NSW who would be able to help me with getting my 4G rebuilt, its blowing quite a bit of blue smoke, compression is down on cyl 3 (175/170/145/175) and it almost feels to be struggling for power more then usual.  I have contacted a few mechanics but no ones REALLY deals with these engines, and I would prefer to have someone familiar with these engines doing the work. Im happy to pre purchase all parts needed or do anything I can to help, I just don't have the know how or the area to have a crack at it myself.

My best contact is PM on here or txt/call me on 0415725337.

Cheers, Mike

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,
Hi Mike, I'm building mine myself for the same reasons, nobody up here knows enough about the 4gs, enquiries are met with blank stares.
The most important work (expensive) is the machining, crack testing etc. the rest is just big boy lego. I've used Jack Bros. in slacks creek, Brisbane if that's any use to you, they have done a few machining jobs for 4gs and seemed to know about them as well as being straight forward and honest. They do a lot of high power engines for drags down there too, saw a few 502 mopar blocks when chatting to them.

Prepare for around $1500 or so for a torque hone, line hone, crack test, balance etc etc, and about 3-4 weeks or so, then parts. Will you be building standard or putting some goodies in?

Apologies if this is not much help.

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Hey, I was looking to do a mostly standard rebuild with some performance parts eg springs and retainers/272 cams/3mm lifters and some other easy stuff. Don't want anything crazy out of it.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside

There a guy in Springwood that knows 63's.

I cant think of his name but I think he is in Timms Court.

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Buy the vizard book on engine blueprinting (ebay)
And some tools. Then you will know what cylinder size bore you need. So what size pistons to buy.
Plastigauge the crank and chuck some gaskets in.
Tip some kero in the ports while head is off to check if you need valves relapped. Neaten them all up and bang it back together.
The vizard book is really good. Talks about chebbys and mopars a bit but they all have pistons.
If you can pull engine and supply the short to the machineshop, you will save plenty.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Buy the vizard book on engine blueprinting (ebay)
And some tools. Then you will know what cylinder size bore you need. So what size pistons to buy.
Plastigauge the crank and chuck some gaskets in.
Tip some kero in the ports while head is off to check if you need valves relapped. Neaten them all up and bang it back together.
The vizard book is really good. Talks about chebbys and mopars a bit but they all have pistons.
If you can pull engine and supply the short to the machineshop, you will save plenty.

I wish I knew enough to be able to do this! Also I don't have the space/engine crane otherwise i would give it a go and save some money.

An engine import yard in Brissy has a 4G63T from a SSG with the top mount and bolt ons still attached, he only wants $1100 for it however doesn't know the condition/compression/how many kms its done. Dont want to buy it and have to have it rebuilt anyway.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Couple a battery up and put that new compression tester to work.
Dry test then wet test.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

So I just took it down to a mechanic i have used before and speak very highly of (Ultimate Performance Nerang) and he seems to think it may be as simple as the turbo leaking, while the low compression is a bit concerning he doesn't believe its what is causing the smoke? Any one on here have any idea if this could be causing it?

Django

Django

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Go get a leak down test, if it turns out to be your valve stem seals then just leave it.... it's not going to hurt your engine, you will just go through oil every month.... like most cars

Also if you want to diagnose a faulty turbo seal, pull the exhaust manifold off and check for oil  to eliminate the oil leaking from the engine. Confirm by checking if there's oil in the dump pipe. GL mate

Edited by Django, 06 November 2013 - 04:38 AM.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Like I said on other thread.
Compression test dry then wet. That will tell you how bad the rings are.
Then a leakdown test if you want. But compression test first.

Was just chatting to the cummins mechanic here (one of the cranes has a bit of blowby) he was talking about a stuffed turbo causing blowby. I asked how and he said if the turbo is sloppy the exhaust will flow past the seals and into the crankcase. So turbo is a possibility.

Personally I think it is a bad valve sealing and stuffed stem seals. Thats my one stubby bet.
But you need the tests....

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

If it's any help I'll be down in Brissy picking up some goodies in a couple of weeks and if you are going down the rebuild route and need to pull out the engine and box I'm more than happy to buzz down the coast and give you a hand with it while I'm floating about. I've had plenty of practice over the years.

Nikko for marking.........$3

Bags for putting nuts and bolt's in..........$2

Skinning your knuckles on every friggin thing in the engine bay.........priceless

↑↑That never gets old :lol:

Anyway, the offer is there for you, let me know if you need a hand Mike ;)

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Gloves for knuckles...

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
Gloves. Pfft.. Gloves are for wusses! Losing a little skin never hurt anyone!

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Yea, back in your day they used to put children in coal mines too.:-)

I have soft hands and cry easy. Gloves please.

Edited by jack of all, 06 November 2013 - 08:50 AM.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

HAHA, yeah I'm over the skinned knuckles, the worst is the jagged hard baked ziptie ends that have your wrists looking like a cry for help. I might wuss out and grab a pair, I'd hate to drive around looking like I've been in a bar fight,

it's bad enough that I drive in lingerie and heels, skinned knuckles would just give everyone the wrong impression. :P

moonchook

moonchook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationMt Gravatt Brisbane

hey mike i had similar problems with my RVR when it was still on the road, lacked power, blew smoke, my brother end up rebuilding the turbo with the rebuild kit on ebay from japan (was about $70) which got it boosting properly again, we had lots of oil up in the exhaust manifold before the turbo rebuild.

if you want to build an engine for it eventually i'd be more than happy to negotiate a price on the 7 bolt HSGR block and remaining engine bits thats sitting in my shed, pretty keen to get rid of it as I have no need for it now. its all stripped with only the crank and oil pump stuff in place so should save some labour for the machinist.

Hyper_Mike

Hyper_Mike

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Im looking to purchase a td05 if anyone has one, just to see if its the turbo thats leaking oil into the exhaust. I sent someone a pm on here who was selling a KLS one but they didnt reply. Anyone else got one?

Edited by Hyper_Mike, 09 November 2013 - 04:44 AM.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Just wiggle the compressor. If it wiggles, rebuild it.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

HAHA, yeah I'm over the skinned knuckles, the worst is the jagged hard baked ziptie ends that have your wrists looking like a cry for help. I might wuss out and grab a pair, I'd hate to drive around looking like I've been in a bar fight,

it's bad enough that I drive in lingerie and heels, skinned knuckles would just give everyone the wrong impression. :P

You crack me up.

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
WRONG impression? ??

Bwahaha Bwahahahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users