Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Name that cable

- - - - - electrical ecu wiring

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

box_me2

box_me2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA

Hi all,

I was doing a bit of cleaning around the passenger side of my HSG tonight when I came across this mystery cable. - see pics.

I'm not sure if I dislodge it while i was cleaning or if its always been unplugged. Looks like it was leading towards the ECU.

I'm fairly sure its not speaker/radio related as it runs under the passenger carpet (and the speaker still works) - I cant find the end of it without more carpet lifting.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be? It looks like it may have been soldered at some stage.

Since finding it I have taken the car for a drive and can not tell any difference in performance or how the engine runs.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg

Edited by box_me2, 22 October 2013 - 08:37 AM.

Connor

Connor

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationQLD, Aspley
Got a multimeter? Turn your CD player/radio off and put your reds on see if it see any power, then try with the CD player on and see it you see anything.

Definitely not factory though.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,
The HSGs have door mounted speakers I take it? It might be possible that some one else has extended the speaker wires that are in the dash near the glovebox and fusebox, I know that my SG has both in it's loom even though the povo SGs don't have door speakers, the wires are still there. Connect a speaker up to it and see what happens, the wires certainly look like speaker wires to me.

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

barcode

barcode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Locationbrisbane

hey benzo do you know if all ssg's have the speaker cable run into the doors? cause it would make my job a lot easier if they do. or does anyone know of a wiring diagram for the ssg?

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Mine is just a crappy entry level SG and it has the factory wires, I'd assume yours should have them. Are your speakers in the doors already?

I tried to find a wiring diagram but the link was broken :fuuuuu:

If you take off a door trim you'll see them near the where the door speaker cut out is, they should look like this.

Attached Thumbnails

• Factory speaker wires.jpg

deepsouth

deepsouth

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationHobart

strange connectors for a speaker wire, normally wouldn't find bullets used like that for speakers. 

Does it run directly into the ecu or just in that vicinity?

Being black and with those connectors I'd say factory something, maybe to the rear windscreen washer pump or wiper?

Door latch sensor for the sliding door?

barcode

barcode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Locationbrisbane

Mine is just a crappy entry level SG and it has the factory wires, I'd assume yours should have them. Are your speakers in the doors already?

hmmmm will have to take mine off again an check cause mine only has the in dash ones. the door trims look like they should have speakers behind them but where you think there should be a hole in the trim it is solid. will check tomorrow an get pics.

sorry for the hijack box_me

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

strange connectors for a speaker wire, normally wouldn't find bullets used like that for speakers. 

Does it run directly into the ecu or just in that vicinity?

Being black and with those connectors I'd say factory something, maybe to the rear windscreen washer pump or wiper?

Door latch sensor for the sliding door?

They might be factory connectors, but it looks too sloppy. If someone has put them in they could use the same type of connectors. It looks like it comes from the centre console and just laid under the carpet to me, could be wrong though.

They look too thin to carry any sizable amount of amps so you might have something there, it could be a sensor of some description. Only way to tell is multimeter and start tuning stuff on :)

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Pull the seat and carpet and chase it down...

If its soldered its not oe
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

box_me2

box_me2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAdelaide SA

Hey guys,

Still haven't had a chance to get in and have a closer look.

What I have noticed however is the the sensor from the cat/mid exhaust has been removed and the cable earthed to the chassis... (is this the O2 sensor?)

First question, Why?

Second question will the car run without an O2 sensor?

Thirdly where would someone install an aftermarket O2 sensor if its not on/in the Cat? and might this mystery cable have something to do with it?

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Front pipe should have a sensor. Pretty good spot for a aftermarket one...
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Django

Django

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationAustralia

If it doesn't have power to it, the earth is doing nothing. Not 100% about this motor but the VL I have will run without it's O2 sensor. Yes the most common spot for them is downpipe for tubo and between cat and header for N/A

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users