Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Broke my EVO again :-/

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationHeathmont Victoria
After a nice day at Sandown had a ticking in the engine so took it to the workshop for a look see. They found that piston 4 had cracks in the ring landing on opposite sides for the second compression ring. Anyone had this before? here come the bills again :-(

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
whats the specs on your car these days clive?

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Piston's aren't Weisco are they?

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA
I read somewhere about that cyl being airstarved due to the shape of the manifold on a 6

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Yea weisco's older style were cracking around the skirt, know of 2 blokes back in n.z had it happen but from what I can gather they fixed the issue a couple of years back

Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
At the time of breaking, George, it was essentially a stock block with 272 cams, cold air intake, 3" exhaust, 2010 injectors tuned for e85. It was getting around 230kw. Don't know what pistons for sure but think they were mitsu 1st oversize (from my 1st breakage 4 years ago) The bore is slightly scored so decided to put in an EVO 7 engine for track use. Will fix the oldie and use it in my daily. Hoping the 7 engine will make near the same power without the cams and go a least little bit longer :-) Should be ready for the next WRX round at PI in a few weeks.

Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
BTW George, the car itself is still running stock suspension on EVO 7 rims but am hoping to get coilovers sorted and in sometime later this year.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
My Wiseco piston's have these cracks you mention....

Can I refund them?

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Na bro, they gave my mate some spurl about how they don't know how they have been used/ tuned etc so they can't do anything, he was saying that it must of just been 'coincidence' it's happened to a few cars and 'coincidence' that they re designed them,

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
CLIVE!! Good to hear from you mate! Not so good to hear about your engine troubles though.
"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi Shayne, long time no see. I'm pretty well only doing Sandown and PI's these days. Not sure what tracks you are playing on but hopefully we will catch up one day. I seem to break stuff a fair bit so I just shrug my shoulders and move on. Maybe I should buy a few motors at once and try for a bulk buy discount :-) planning on selling my GSR motors soon'ish to subsidise buying an MX5 to track/deca/daily with my son for fun days and just use the 6 for when I'm out for a PB and in the mood to drive to my limit. Looking forward to summer. I do more events in the warmer months.

Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Amazing just got the engine back in this week. Hope to start it on Saturday.
Turns out the pistons were EVO 9.
Looking at the dyno graph it was getting 249kw so I'm thinking over 230kw maybe stock pistons are not so good, so forged is the go.
I'm going back to 98RON for now and might stroke and fully forge the old motor then do a swap.
Fun and games.
Need to get back to the track now having withdrawals.

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
good to hear clive, mine is even going now lol

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Look forward to seeing you at PI or Sandown soon then George, esp with summer coming. :thumbsup:
Busting to see your car in action, in fact, just seeing your car would be good.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Hey Clive, good to hear you're almost "back in the game". My brake lines are ALMOST done and I'm hoping to get the car to Winton for a quick run before the end of the month.

Will be good to catch up at another event.

Keep us posted on how you go with the new motor.
"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hey Shayne, yep good brake lines are ftw
I drove the 6 around to Tech//sport yesterday to check for oil leaks .No problems so that's good so I'll do 1000 k's as a daily and then do an oil change and then back to the track from there. So mid or later in the month I think.
I don't get to Winton at all anymore. There seems to be a Sandown or PI on most months so I stick close to home now days.
I must admit the Winton Friday tune and test days were good but still it's a loooong day and if there is a problem then that's a PROBLEM.
Tho' I'm guessing you trailer the coupe around these days right?
Look forward to seeing you at a Sandown or PI soon I'll let you know when I'm entered.
Cheers for now mate.

Advanced Jap

Advanced Jap

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Yea weisco's older style were cracking around the skirt, know of 2 blokes back in n.z had it happen but from what I can gather they fixed the issue a couple of years back

I had issues with weisco pistons

this is just my opinion I'm not bagging them and it was part my fault and part the dealer in the usa , first issues with the crowns collapsing with not even the slightest bit detonation or pitting visible might hve been the one offset wrist pin causing both issues

not a big fan of the ring support for the oil ring on the stroker pistons.

lol I realized they had sold me E8 pistons when I referenced the part no later , they did mention they only had this 0.40 piston for the 100mm crank set up ( running longer rod )

I assumed they would send the correct piston, and I was very specific with year and model of engine, having said that I am 100% responsible as the engine builder thank god it wasn't a customers engine.

problem being weisico run a offset pin to reduce piston slap but what happens when the crankshaft rotates the other way , causing Induced piston slap sll the way up to rev limit 8500 rpm, I was lucky that no major damage occurred

I should have been more thorough, but I didn't click until later on

oh well shit happens just thought i would share that and maybe save someone the grief , now running cp no offset pin seem ok but the nitrous will be the test

Edited by Advanced Jap, 07 October 2013 - 05:26 PM.

Yellow Plate Evo 3 --------------- Gk Sigma 4G63 ------- ( Unfinished Project )
10.58 @ 135 mph - --------------12.10 @ 113 mph

Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

but the nitrous will be the test

OMG, and here is me worrying about breaking E9 pistons on E85.

I can only dream of  a nos capable engine.

Christmas is coming tho' can I fit a 2.6l stroker kit in a stocking? :P 

Clive

Clive

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Was at Sandown today in 40deg heat for my first run with the rebuilt E7 engine.

Did crap with only a 1:32 down 6 secs on my pb of 1:26.

don't know if it was being back to 98 RON 193kw from my previous E85 249kw or maybe heat soak because it felt rather sluggish, but rather think early braking chicken out was the problem.

Doing the FFCC Sandown next sunday so hoping for a cooler day and a smaller field, there was 127 cars here today :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users