Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Friday 31-May] HWY Meet #8

- - - - - Automotive culture scene cruise meet

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
**UPDATE**

Location for tonight (Friday 31/05) is Latrobe University, Bundoora, Carpark #8!
Time: 9:30pm onwards
If rain persists there is an undercover alternative nearby!

Directions on how to get to Latrobe
http://www.latrobe.e...ocation-Map.pdf

Guys,

Not sure how many of you are aware of HWY - it's a Facebook page that started beginning of this year to promote automotive culture - bringing back the 'scene' and letting the public know that car meets are not all skid meets!

Each HWY event yields around 500+ cars, each meet growing bigger then the previous:

https://www.facebook.com/hwycrew

Melbourne Street Riders Facebook group has also teamed up to have a substantial motorbike presence as well:

https://www.facebook...rneStreetRiders

The great thing about these meets is that the organizers team up with local police and inform them of the events. The deal is for the local cops to make a presence to make sure there's no hooning but they are to 'turn a blind eye' to our modified cars & bikes (and this is a big part of why these events continue to succeed).

The last HWY meet (#7) looked something like this:

Posted Image

This was at Master's in Oakleigh, and each of the 800+ car parks were full.

NEXT HWY MEET

https://www.facebook...01858243296384/

Date: This Friday 31/05
Time: 9:30pm onwards
Location: TBC, but very likely Latrobe University Bundoora if approvals go ahead.

Would be good to have 4GT represent!!!

Edited by evopwr, 30 May 2013 - 11:00 PM.

---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

JayRome

JayRome

Blurring the line between 1st to 3rd Gen engines....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
are you going to bring DIY out???

Chosen Weapons:
WideBody Galant GSR 4g63 N/A+T Hybrid 1st/3rd gen +AWD
Audi A3 slow POS

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Jay I want to but it's half way through DIY v2 transformation! So have to keep it under the blankets until it's all done and ready!

But on the bright side I'm putting my stunt bike on the trailer and bringing that down!
---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

BRUSHED

BRUSHED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGisborne
I went to one about a month ago and was Pretty boring due to the 500+ P plater commodores

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
might head down for a squizz depends how wet it is

GSRSOL

GSRSOL

Bird Nerd

• Administrators
  • 8,319 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

The great thing about these meets is that the organizers team up with local police and inform them of the events. The deal is for the local cops to make a presence to make sure there's no hooning but they are to 'turn a blind eye' to our modified cars & bikes (and this is a big part of why these events continue to succeed).

Skeptical; they probably just record everyones plates and then screw them over later.... !
Dan | Melbourne | 1994 CD5A / CE9A / E39A bastard child
special thanks to - TRIKFAB | Tropic Motors | Springy Motors

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Well if that is the case Dan, it would have happened to at least 1 of the 500+ cars and 100+ bikes in the 5 months it's been running!

HWY also raises money for charity from all these events, which helps with 'convincing' local law enforcement.

I was also skeptical on this, until I came to the events and saw for myself.

Sure, amongst the 500 cars there are 400 P-plater commodores. But 100 of those are high quality show-spec jap/euro/muscle/classic. How often do you get to see that, other than at an annual car show?

This is one of those types of meets/events that "we all wish we had", so finally someone had the balls to step up and create one that's legitimate and raises awareness towards the importance of automotive culture scene that we lack dismally in Melbourne.

Edited by evopwr, 29 May 2013 - 02:24 AM.

---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Looks good!
Too much attention for me though.

Probably good to go look but not good to show off your ride..

BRUSHED

BRUSHED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGisborne
Each to there own when it comes to meets, personally I get bored of just driving 15 minutes down the road then parking up and standing around for hours talking about crap. I rather cruise with a group of quality cars for a good distance, that's why we have private meets every weekend with about 50 big powered quality cars

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I'll let the pics do the talking! Some pics from last meet:

http://gripshiftslid...ighway-masters/

Edited by evopwr, 29 May 2013 - 03:30 AM.

---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

BRUSHED

BRUSHED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGisborne
At the end of the day you will never change the publics perspective of a hoon, they only need to look at your car and they have made there mind up

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I agree, that's why it's so important to make a presence at these types of events!

Edited by evopwr, 29 May 2013 - 03:58 AM.

---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

RicKii``

RicKii``

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Jay I want to but it's half way through DIY v2 transformation! So have to keep it under the blankets until it's all done and ready!

But on the bright side I'm putting my stunt bike on the trailer and bringing that down!

what does v2 consist of? I dont have MSN anymore to pry into your work. lol

BRUSHED

BRUSHED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGisborne
Every now and then I will go but like to leave early before someone does something stupid

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Ricki - I sort of been updating evocoupe, involves exterior mods and E85 in due time!

Brushed - not sure you understand, this is NOT a skid meet!
---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

BRUSHED

BRUSHED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGisborne
All the meets I go to are not skid meets but as there are hundreds of people and so many of them young P platers, it's not hard for there mates to rev up a P plater to do something stupid. The meet I went to of there's I would of seen Atleast 40 cars doing a skid, 1 person sat there infront of me and a few mates and did doughnuts. It will only be time til the cops put a stop to it and call it a public nuisance. I've been in the cruising and meet scene for about 16 years now and it all ends the same way

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
People doing skids at a HWY event - said someone who has been to 1 of these events - and were there any skids in sight?

Yes there are a handful of stupid people out there that ruin it for everyone, and you're right in saying 'once it goes pear shaped it will be closed down'. This is why it's important to work with local law enforcement and let their presence be known at these events.

You said yourself you've been in the cruise/meet scene for the last 16 years. And where is it now? Apart from a couple mates meeting up for kebabs, it's dead and gone. If someone's going to revive it they might as well do it right, and I want to support it and even if it fails at least I can say I gave it a go.

The lack of a cruise/meet scene affects all of us who are car/bike enthusiasts. The whole automotive aftermarket & manufacturing industry in Australia is going up shit creek, and fundamentally this is because there is no 'scene' anymore.

Sure there are some enthusiasts like us who will spend thousands of $ on their car, but eventually if there's no where to drive it, no where to display it, no other competition, why would you bother?

No one's forcing anyone to do anything or go anywhere. If you like being afraid of taking your car out in case you will get canaried for driving to Safeway to buy milk, then sure keep it at home!
But don't go putting down a cause that is ultimately out there to help and support people like you! In a sense you're only making it harder for yourself!

Edited by evopwr, 29 May 2013 - 06:56 AM.

---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

BRUSHED

BRUSHED

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGisborne
My car is a daily driven car and does over 1000km a week and am never afraid to cruise in it. The scene is dead due to clowns doing skids and the cops cracking down on it, that's the reason hoon laws get tighter every year. If you think getting 600 people together is going to change things then your dreaming, there's 10 million other people that have had enough of people dying on the streets hence the reason there are advertisments for it these days

JayRome

JayRome

Blurring the line between 1st to 3rd Gen engines....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

This guy! sounds good bro... we still need photos! i'm looking for a wide body 4-9 evo so we can have 3 wide body versions of mitsu in one photo!..

Edited by JayRome, 29 May 2013 - 07:13 AM.

Chosen Weapons:
WideBody Galant GSR 4g63 N/A+T Hybrid 1st/3rd gen +AWD
Audi A3 slow POS

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Jay I don't think we'll struggle to find later model widebody evo's in Melb! But then again how many of us have a wide body HH Galant??

There's some pro photographers that come down and take pics, all for free! I had some mad pics taken of my bike last time:

Posted Image
Posted Image
---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Automotive culture scene, cruise, meet

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users