Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Looking for a 4G63 to rebuild.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
521 replies to this topic

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
Hey all.

Been a while since the WA thread moved, so I figured I'd give it a kick in guts.

I have been bugging Brian a bit lately about all things early EVO, reason being is I'm trying to upgrade my Tarmac GSR. It's currently running the '93 that Benozi built, and it's a great engine, but as always, I found myself wanting some more poke. Upgrading the car itself has taken a back set due to not having many options given my budget, so plan B involves upgrading what i've got, and it requires some of you lot letting go of parts you've got laying around. :)

Firstly, I want to upgrade the turbo on the '93 from a 04 to 05 small body, anyone got one of them laying around?

Secondly, the plan is to swap the '93 for a '63. You guessed it, I'm also chasing a complete 4G63t from E1,2, or 3 (or equiv to suit). It's going to be rebuild so condition isn't so critical, but even better if you've got a freshie ready to bolt in. I need it to be near complete, apart from ecu.

Other things on the list that some of you might have is some LSDs to suit cc GSR driveline.

The decision is to screw to wick up on the 93 for the short term, and have the 63 built and ready to drop in when the 1.8 pops.

Hopeful some you Perth guys are able to help me out, would like to get local if I can. Let me know if you can help out, or know someone that can. Prepared to pay good money for good bits.

Thanks guys.
I HATE BEING BIPOLAR........IT'S AWESOME!!

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
Look at that!! I got the thread pumpn'!!! :)

Well, as opposed to the action going on here, yesterday was productive.

After looking at all the options, I ended up getting a new turbo and custom dump from Kandos. Reasonable money for a unit without too much negative feedback.

Also found and went to look at an Evo III motor last night. I think it a bit of a score as its got the Evo 0 head, block is standard bore, new 270 cams with springs and retainers, a custom intake mani and comes with a brand new 2.4L stroker kit still in the box, all for less than the stroker kits worth! Best of all it comes stripped and ready to go to the machinists.

Happy days.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Good work mate, who is doing the machining?
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
Dont know yet. I just sent a quote request through to Harris in Ozzie park. waiting to hear back. The guy I got it off recommended another joint in Ozzie park but cant remember their name, "perfor... something"

Any recomendations NOR?

The list I need so far is:
  • Crank line bore
  • Bore to suit 85.5 plugs
  • Torque plate hone
  • Full balance
  • Recon head
  • And because I dont back myself as a good engine builder, I'll probably get a long motor assembly, me supply componets.
If you know of anyone that does good work at good prices Jack, let me know. I havent had a motor built in Perth for 17 years.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
I dunno yet. i know Brian has had some issues with some shops. he would be better to ask than me.
Im using galloway in pinjarra. But we cut a deal and i gave them the old 1.5 out of the jumbuck in exchange for a credit in the machine shop.
I am crapping myself over letting someone touch it.
Did you get a 6 or 7bolt block? Long rod stroker?
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
Yeah, Brian said I should back myself to do the build. I dont share his optimisim. Depending on price, I really should knock it together and save some dosh.

From what I can tell its a crank stroker, looks simular to a nitto kit, but not sure. It's a nice looking crank, been knife edged and treated. It's a 6 bolt.

I'm cool with someone else touching my motors, I'm just tired of cracking my head on the floor everytime they give a quote!! It doesn't suprise me so many have gone out of business. The good ones dont need to advertise so they are really hard to find.

Brains back tonight, I'll give him a day then hassle the crap out of him..... ;) ......(Just jokes mate, you've help heaps already.)

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
David visard does a excellent book about engine blueprinting and it covers assembly as well. it will show you how to check the machinists work as well. available on ebay or rellum or pitstop.

Also, i got some ebay micrometers. they were about $100, but look ok and will last if you are gentle on them.

I think if the machinists has a hone plate for the g63, they have probably done a few of them... my 2c

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
lol! How'd you know!

Just came back from pitsop with two books-

'How to build max-performance 4G63t' & 'The step-by-step guide to engine blueprinting' both from the S-A design mob.

No doubt I will be asking for advice in the near future mate. Thanks.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
The 63 book is a bit crap. its basically a parts book for advertising.
The blueprinting one is gospel. mostly about chevs but its all the same. Mine is scabby and dog eared. the buildsheet in the back is good. read this book over and over and you still pick up tips.

bps79

bps79

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationPerth
Your thinking of performance modifications in ozzy park. I've used them and didn't think they were too flash

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth

Your thinking of performance modifications in ozzy park. I've used them and didn't think they were too flash

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks for your feedback. I decided to go with Harris, they got back to me with a price, and it was bang on what I was calling a 'reasonable price' after talking with a few mechenic mates and Brian.

With that decision made, I am dropping the block and head off tomorrow after work. I'm also doing more Ebay shopping today for an oil pump and hopefully if I find some, the mirage driven gear for the oil pump, comes without the balance shaft (tbomk). Anyone been able to find one of these in the past? It's been a 50/50 with people I've spoken to, but given the new stroke, new crank, rods and plugs, the balance shafts will more likely be a waste of time, so I decided to take them out.

Some other things I have been thinking over:

Intake manifold - I really want to use the one off the 4G93t. Before you flame me, the reasons are that the one I got with the engine is a custom with no injector holes. The throttle body that came with it is shite and lastly, its TB flange is set for an SR20 TB and needs to be chopped and reversed (setup for RWD). So....... can I use the '93 intake? I'm aware of the water gallery on the '63 head that is not on the '93, but I was hoping to 1. Blank it if not needed or 2. Drill and tap for a hose conector, if needed. ( I havent worked out if it's needed or not yet). I will need to port match at least, from what I can tell, the 1g ports are quite a bit bigger. Does anyone know any other reasons why I counldn't use this manifold? (perforance limiting aside)

Exhaust Manifold - It didn't come with one of these either (well, it was a top mount custom) so, I was going to get the nickle sport one http://www.ebay.com....=item2327fb0594
The custom ones on Ebay don't really do it for me, plus I think are a nightmare when trying to reduce under bonnet temps. Yell out if you think different.

Flywheel - Open to suggestions here, be sweet if you had one laying around you wanted to sell ;) (6 bolt)

Water pipe thingy and thermo assembly - This is pretty rooted, I can drill and tap new hose connectors, or you could sell me a good used one ;) The pipe thingy from w/pump to thermo assembly is AWOL, as above if you've got on laying around.

Stroker Kit - Done and done. Brian Crower cams (270), springs and retainers, Eagle crank, Manley rods, 85.5 Wiseco coated plugs. :)

I'll get some pic's up after it's back from the machinist. Let me know if you can help with any of the bits above.

Thanks.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
The 93t manifold it different. either get a aspec vr4 (for sale thread) or a sonata i think with port matching will fit and cover the ports.

Try the sonata for the thermostat thingy too. maybe it will fit...

Flywheel.. I think the 7bolt one and the gsr will interchange IF (that's a big if) your machinists redrills the Dowel hole at a different spot. And can't remember, but maybe it needs holes reamed for bigger evo bolts or the arp bolts with a plain shoulder. (Brian and i compared the 2 side by side)

Edited by jack of all, 25 February 2013 - 02:43 AM.

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
Thanks for the heads up Jack, I grabbed the intake off Ozy.

Flywheel I might just get new. I see RPW have a range of them, but I need to learn some more about them (fidanza) and which will suit my application better, alli or steel.

Well theres a shit load on my 'need to get' list atm, best get to it.

bps79

bps79

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationPerth
I'll be selling my fidanza flywheel and act clutch very soon. Wouldn't even have done 600km. Also let me know how you go with your machinist I'll be needing one soon

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth

I'll be selling my fidanza flywheel and act clutch very soon. Wouldn't even have done 600km. Also let me know how you go with your machinist I'll be needing one soon

No worries, sounds good. Is it ally? Been happy with it?

Brains hinted at ditching the BC cams (280's) and going with some kelford. Given a target hp figure close to 500, with good strong low down tourque and a spin limit at no more than 7k, I'm thinking 270's with the stroker would be ample? Is there any hope of getting the 280's to play nice in the mid range or are they a big turbo big rpm cam only?

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
You guys may have already seen this:

http://www.kidzuku.com/StrokeOrNot.pdf

I just read it front to back, good stuff in there. Bit techy but I learnt some interesting stuff.

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA
dont forget the 1mm oversize valves.....better result than just 272 bc cams alone

even 2mm if you want to throw lots of dollars at new seats etc

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
I wanted 272s for my 2.4 as well. unfortunately i was sent 280s. but the more i thought about it the better is seems. Bcs are the mildest cams for their size, plus the extra capacity of the stroker/2.4 effectively reduces the cam size by 1 size. so for my 2c i would chuck in what you have and see how it goes.
check out bazeng for sale thread for some proven cams for sale if you still want to get a bigger bumpstick.

+1 for the 1mm valves. +2mm would probably need the top of bores notched to reduce shrouding. the bigger bore of the 2.4 would help here as well

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
Do you have 270 or 280s? Your post earlier says 270s but now you saying they are 280s?
As above, a 2.3 is 15% bigger than a 2.0 so that will tame the cams somewhat and you can always split the cams (on adjustable cam wheels) a bit to tame them more.
What turbo did you say you have? A gt3076 might be nice on this.

Geo&Kez

Geo&Kez

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationPerth
The cams are 280's (was told at sale they were 270's) BC part #102.

I hear what your saying Jack, thats sort of the meat I got out of the stroker article. Given cams are not to hard to replace in car, i can run them first and see how they go. Most of the complaints seem to be coming from 2.0L customers from what I could tell, hopefully the bigger capacity will get the cams working better.

Over sized valves you say?......... let me see what I can do.

Turbo is TD05 16G big for the time being. Thats the next subject of my learning. Budget is still ok but I'll need to decide on some comprimises in order to throw some LSD's at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users