Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upgraded EVO2 gearbox

- - - - - Learn me

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I have a spare EVO2 gearbox fitted with a viscous LSD that I am wanting to upgrade so that it's better suited to my application. I know EVO-00X has done a pretty comprehensive writeup on his 'ultimate gearbox' but I am wanting to get other peoples' thoughts and comments around what they have done and how they have found it.

What have people done in regards to their centre diff, viscous coupling, LSD etc?
‎"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Velocity Racing

Velocity Racing

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
The ultimate gearbox has to be the Holinger HML, 6 speed sequential, electronic front and centre diff's etc, homologated for Group A... Simply Unreal! But if you don't have a $50k+ budget....

Front Diff: Ralliart Supertraction Front LSD, or the Kaaz one if you can't afford the Supertraction
C/Diff: standard c/diff with a Ralliart +20% VCU
Gearset: Albins close ratio 1st-5th dog set. I think now that the Albins is the pick of the bunch based on the choice of ratios, rebuild ability, price (just), and the fact it's not straight cut. Straight cut gets old.

visit- www.velocityracing.net.au!

SIVART

SIVART

CE9A-0000001

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
if I fitted the Albins close ratio gear set , would I have to also do the transfer case in any way ?

blackvr

blackvr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
No changes to the transfer case needed...

JC evo1

JC evo1

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
ENGINR i sent you pm.
Jacob
E1 - 2.2 400kw atw 25psi

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Shayne, with your style of racing and khanas, you'd would benefit from the Cusco Tarmac Gear centre diff which will give you some rear bias. They are hard to get a hold of in some shops as they have been discontinued. If you can find one they are still quite expensive.
AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
After having and spending a crap load fixing a Tarmac gear I am personally not convinced on how they operate, but that's just me.

My box has had a bit of weight removed, isotropically polished, preloads/lash done properly and fresh bearings, with a ralliart mechanical 1 way front LSD, I think it will do the job.

If it craps out it will be a dog box from albins for me too!

When I ran the viscous in the front of mine(which was beefed up) the turn in was amazing but it couldn't handle too much work at a time as it would over heat and loose efficiency. Awesome on a skid pan or hill climb though.

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
And a ralliart VCu is not ideal for Tarmac either IMO.

winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1

ONPSI

ONPSI

10 second monster

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
PAR or PPG straight up..it's going to cop a thrashing anyway..why be scared to break it when you can spend the money once and be sure it will hold up.
Albins = :thumbsdown: You don't want to see the mess they left the FWD drag car gearbox in after TRIPPY sent it to them to do it right the first time..

Edited by ONPSI, 11 January 2013 - 07:27 AM.

FORBIDDEN PERFORMANCE
0433 245 136
Rides:
'95 Genuine Evo III - 310kw - 11.2 @ 129mph SOLD
'95 Lancer GSR - 340kw - 10.8 @ 129mph SOLD

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
everyone has their bad stories, I have personally seen more PAR and PPG boxes have issues/fail than albins.
PPG seem to damage the dogs very easily, and PAR initially under engineer things, its always the way.
PAR also do the uprated transfer set though

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle

After having and spending a crap load fixing a Tarmac gear I am personally not convinced on how they operate, but that's just me

Well if you break the internals again let me know because I have one here that has a broken outer drive gear. I contacted Cusco and they dont sell replacement parts anymore for them. Therefore its a Tarmac Gear that has a great body and internals, just the outside gear that mates to 3rd gear intermediate that has damaged teeth. If I can find another gear, it'll simply be undo the allen key bolts, fit a replacement gear and its ready to rock and roll again :)

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Its not the strength factor but how they work, its not really splitting the torque but have a different speed front to rear to make the split.
If you ran it with a VCU it would just burn it out. The only way that wont happen is with an Adelia but I dont know how well that will last

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney
I prefer the front Quaife ATB LSD #QDH8 that suits the awd manual & awd auto.
Going straight is L100<>R100. Cornering eg: L115<>R85 is still 100% front drive for the VCU
http://www.ebay.com/...ssories&vxp=mtr
Cheers..

Hypo

Hypo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
I would like to know how to beef up 4th gear only. I will never load up 1st but it appears that 4th is going to be my nemesis.

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Maybe we need a group buy on this?

http://www.evo123.ne...read.php?t=9040

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Thats a chunky straight cut 4th and 4th intermediate :) 3rd would be good to get done as well.
I'd like to hear the sound it makes in 4th lol. Im not a member of that forum so I couldnt see the other pics only this linked one.

Posted Image

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
You'd need to change the centre diff for 3rd though Rob.
I've been following this guys progress for a few months now!

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
seems to go ok

Edited by DOUGMO, 16 January 2013 - 09:28 AM.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Yeah but itll be nice to change the centre diff teeth too lol.
Has this guy mentioned anything about cost of the gears?

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Nope....
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users