Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Viscous vs Non lsd Intermediate shafts 4g63

- - - - - Viscous Intermediate Shaft 4g

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast
I have almost finished a evo 3 drive train conversion in my gsr and all i have left is to put in the front shafts, I have a viscous drivers side inner cv cup and front shaft however I dont have a viscous LSD Intermediate shaft, Im told this one is is shorter than the Non lsd version?

Ive been told the Non lsd version can be used and that it is just longer, If that being the case has anyone that has done this had problems with bolting up to the AC mount on the back of the engine? If its longer wouldnt the bolts and mount sit further out to the outside of the car? or is the mounting location the same and the shaft splines longer there fore locating deeper into the dif and gearbox?

From the pic below it looks like that it may just be the shaft spline thats longer?

If so it it worth machineing back so everything lines up?

does anyone have the measurments of how much shorter the viscous shaft than the not viscous shafts?

I personally havent had a look at it yet.

The the intermidiate shaft I have suited a VR4 4g63 with an open center diff.

Below is a pic that BMGTZ sent to one of my posts a while ago. that compared the 2.

Posted Image

Edited by jake, 14 November 2012 - 10:15 PM.

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney
I cut 5mm off the spline end & clean it up.
Cheers !

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast
Thanks for that, I had a look at mine and test fitted it in the car last night? I saw it was an Vr4 one however comparing it to the pic about it looks like the one on the right, as the shaft looks fatter, where as the one on the left the shaft tapers down?

does anyone have a measurement of lenghts from the end of the shaft where the splines start to the end of the machined step? ill go home tonight and measure it and post up a pic.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Ive had a good look at it with Neil in our hands sometime ago. The extra spline length only sits in a void in the front viscous lsd and physically doesnt hit anything. It didnt appear to block oil flow either. Heaps of people have ran the non lsd jackshaft with no problem on their front viscous lsds for years without issues.
You cant however use an lsd jackshaft in an open front diff or mech lsd front diff because the splines are short and wont hold on by much.
You do need the longer lsd cv cup for the drivers side when using a front viscous lsd though.
The extra few mm in jackshaft length goes into the lsd centre, it doesnt effect where the hanger bracket bolts to the rear of the block.
I will take pics and measurements of both shafts plus pics of them inside a viscous lsd to show you.
AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast

I cut 5mm off the spline end & clean it up.
Cheers !

Ive had a good look at it with Neil in our hands sometime ago. The extra spline length only sits in a void in the front viscous lsd and physically doesnt hit anything. It didnt appear to block oil flow either. Heaps of people have ran the non lsd jackshaft with no problem on their front viscous lsds for years without issues.
You cant however use an lsd jackshaft in an open front diff or mech lsd front diff because the splines are short and wont hold on by much.
You do need the longer lsd cv cup for the drivers side when using a front viscous lsd though.
The extra few mm in jackshaft length goes into the lsd centre, it doesnt effect where the hanger bracket bolts to the rear of the block.
I will take pics and measurements of both shafts plus pics of them inside a viscous lsd to show you.

Cheers for that fellas

Edited by jake, 16 November 2012 - 02:41 AM.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Here you go :)
As advised the extra length of the non viscous shaft just sits in a void inside the viscous front LSD - it doesnt effect anything.
If however, you use a viscous shaft in a normal open front diff... the splines on the shaft doesnt stretch the entire length and wouldnt be as good as a normal (open) shaft for an open/mech front LSD.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-11-18 18.39.32.jpg
  • 2012-11-18 18.41.49.jpg
  • 2012-11-18 18.44.08.jpg
  • 2012-11-18 18.44.56.jpg
  • 2012-11-18 18.46.38.jpg
  • 2012-11-18 18.47.01.jpg
  • 2012-11-18 18.47.48.jpg
  • 2012-11-18 18.50.35.jpg

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

jake

jake

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast
Thanks for that, that looks like a really good article and well documented reply, thanks-you, I meansured mine up and it was approx 55mm long which is the non lsd shaft however it will do the job :thumbsup:

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
i ran a viscous front lsd with the stock intermediate, as Rob said , no issue at all

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

david c

david c

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
Damm this site is gold... Very useful info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users