Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

wiring up evo 3 features

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
You dont need the RS loom. If its from a frontcut it'll be cut at the driver's door and there's about 46 wires you need to go through and solder and heat shrink into your existing back loom :lol: Depends where its been cut.
If it were me, I'll do it this way.
1. You have Evo engine loom and ECU = check
2. Get a GLXi SOHC EFI dash/interior loom. Its the longest loom and to get it out of a car you need to fully remove the carpet and seats. It goes from the glovebox across the dashboard to foot pedals, fuse box, along drivers door, over the handrake mound, to the b-pillars and then to the back seat and fuel pump and rear loom.
3. Get a GLXi electrical/ignition loom. It runs from above the accellerator pedal, through the firewall, along the driver's side fender, to the engine bay fusebox, then splits to the battery/starter, to the headlights, under the radiator to the passenger headlight, aircon/fans, alternator. You will need to untape some of the loom section that goes to the alternator, cut the plug off, lengthen it, then redirect it to under the radiator way within the existing loom or inside a smaller conduit to come out near the position of the 4G63 alternator.
4. On the EVO engine loom, there is a square plug running along the driver's side chassis rail, under the Air Flow Meter. That's where normally a GLXi and GSR have their radiator temp sensor and thermo fan wiring. Ill have to double check on the last car I did for what exactly I did there. If I get a chance to check it out in the next few days I'll let you know as its at a mate's house that lives nowhere near me lol.
5. Get an EVO gauges cluster and plug it into the dash. It will now work as normal.
If you have any problems let me know.
AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

Gianni

Gianni

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
That's as simple as can be. :) easy instructions my friend. I have posted looking for the looms. Just gotta wait till I find them :) like always u r a great help :)
Gianni

Gianni

Gianni

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Hey rob. Will this suit

"Ive got evo 2 engine, spliced interior/dash, and front electrical looms. Though I won't separate the interior dash loom from the climate control."

Thanks man
Gianni

Paul

Paul

63t Satria

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationSydney
That sounds familiar. Since i offered that to you earlier, i'll eloborate.

The engine, dash and front electrical looms are all from an evo 2 gsr halfcut. As we all know, when you purchase a cut, more often than not, the loom is cut through at the front of the drivers seat. Beyond that point, i've had to splice the existing Satria loom to lengthen it, so there's a bunch of redundant wires which arent used. I.E, rear power windows/locks, IC intercooler spray, rear aerial.

I can't see why it wouldn't work as the interior loom goes to the plugs at the bottom of the back seat, where your existing coupe loom will run all your rear lights etc.

I was running a coupe loom in the satria with the 4g93 without any hassles.

I wont separate the dash loom from the climate control as it will render the climate control setup useless.

Edited by Paul, 30 April 2011 - 12:58 AM.

cc gsr owner

cc gsr owner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Hey Guys just been reading through this and thought i might steal this thread for a moment, ive just wired up evo climate control on my gsr and got everything running except for 3 things firstly the fan doesnt work no power to the motor secondly i clock resets everytime i turn the ignition off so guessing i missed a wire and thirdly is something i cant confirm and thats the problem i dont know if the aircon cuts in i cant find the wring under the bonnet for the compressor (engine has been converted a 4g63) if anyone can help me out with these problems that would be awesome hoping its only a couple wires.
the connection for the aircon compressor concerns me though i spent an hour today searching the engine bay for it and could only find one wire i thought was the oil pressure swith :( HELP ME

mototo

mototo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNSW
I'll try and help

3 things firstly the fan doesnt work no power to the motor

Did you use the power resistor from the climate control setup?

secondly i clock resets everytime i turn the ignition off so guessing i missed a wire

Yep. Either missed a wire or hooked up a wire wrong. Same idea behind a radio installation but you also have wires for the illumination. (dims when your headlights are turned on just like your clock). When i wired mine in, i tapped the power wires from the clock of the manual panel. The colors escape me at the moment as i deleted my diy climate control guide on evocoupe (smashed car, got pissed off.. :P)

thirdly is something i cant confirm and thats the problem i dont know if the aircon cuts in i cant find the wring under the bonnet for the compressor (engine has been converted a 4g63) if anyone can help me out with these problems that would be awesome hoping its only a couple wires.
the connection for the aircon compressor concerns me though i spent an hour today searching the engine bay for it and could only find one wire i thought was the oil pressure swith :( HELP ME

There is a green (or green yellow, again...cant remember)out of the climate control headunit that turns the compressor on and off based on your temp setting. This wire should be hooked up to your existing compressor trigger.

It's been awhile since i've hooked my system up (was done to a GLXi) but i'm assuming you spliced the climate control loom out of a dash loom equipped with it. Otherwise it will be a bigger headfark.

cc gsr owner

cc gsr owner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
thanks for the reply mototo i cant work out the qoute button so ill just say

whats the power resister ?

ive only hooked up all the wires that matched both harnesses would it explode and burn my eyebrows off if i connected the power one wire at a time till the illumination came on ?
sorry to hear about your car mate i got done with a hit and run few years back

does anyone know were that wire comes out of what section of harness or if its possible to run a wire direct from the head unit to the aircon ??

and as for the wiring harness ive attatched a pic of what i was given to work with fun times

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0081.JPG

mototo

mototo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationNSW
Naise! I too once was in that situation with the spaghetti. Nearly gave up as I could not see the end of this bloody splicing saga. Finally got the motivation.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hope the pic helps.

I would have gone out to the coupe and took pics and colors of the wiring but its just pissing down at the moment.

I spliced my loom leaving just the climate control wires intact. Some wires obviously led to servos, sensors, relay and power resistor which i grouped together as these do not require tracing(after labelling which plug goes to which servo first though before i started cutting). At the end you will be left with 10 odd wires or so. One for constant 12v, one for signal (acc, on), one for illumination (dimmer, etc), one for compressor trigger, one for outside air temp, and the few grounds.

cc gsr owner

cc gsr owner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
thanks for the photo Mototo very helpful as i look at it i havent wired up the power resister and relay if you could help me out with wire colours
thought id share the wiring ive done ive got a few wires left over but i have no idea how to test what does what

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0082.JPG

cc gsr owner

cc gsr owner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
hey guys found the relays and power resistor that was missing on my initial wire up i connect the wires that matched up connected the head unit back up fan didnt start up but the control unit started to smoke i think ive made a mistake going to start again after the long weekend but any ideas ? my other question is how can i test the fan itself and the power resister if they are working ? thanks for all the help

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Ive said it a hundred times before - why do people go through this when they can use complete OEM looms without the problems associated with splicing and dicing.
Splicing looms and stuffing around with them can make them unreliable and as you've found - short out, melt or worse... catch fire when you're driving.
Have patience, keep the $$ aside and get full OEM looms when they come up for sale.
Deciphering oher people's electrical problems over the internet can be near impossible, let alone stepping half-way in on someone elses work when you're there in person.
If you can sort it out, kudos and respect as Im happy to see a success story the same as everybody else. But you're really making it difficult for yourself than you have to :)

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

EVL20T

EVL20T

AWD 4G63T POWAH!

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Hahaha i have a spare jap spec dash loom here :P
------------ 4GTUNER STICKERS - CLICK HERE ------------

EVL20T3_zps8f8e63a1.png
------------------------- 4G63T AWD COUPE -------------------------
----------------------- WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET -----------------------

cc gsr owner

cc gsr owner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
i all about making things difficult for myself this whole car is about the hard way since day one
hey evocpe how much for the loom ?
I'm actually alittle scared about wiring up a whole loom seems like so much work

EVL20T

EVL20T

AWD 4G63T POWAH!

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,197 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Check my for sale thread :)

It's off a half cut, so all u need to do it splice it to the standard loom right where the drivers seat is :)
------------ 4GTUNER STICKERS - CLICK HERE ------------

EVL20T3_zps8f8e63a1.png
------------------------- 4G63T AWD COUPE -------------------------
----------------------- WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET -----------------------

cc gsr owner

cc gsr owner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Is it compatible with a non Evo engine loom? Or does someone have one of those as well

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
If you want the climate control to fully operate the way it should, you'll need a japspec GSR or EVO GSR engine loom plus the outside temp sensor and resistor that is bolted on the front of the radiator support panel.
If you dont want the outside temp sensor etc, like some other guys who spliced and diced their climate control in, then you can keep your existing GSR engine loom and make it suit the 4G63 engine by following the DIY tech sticky in this forum.
You could buy the GSR japspec interior loom which is made for climate control and simply plug it into the OEM GSR engine loom at the plugs under the glovebox. Your outside temp wont work on your headunit naturally though. You will also need to make a new plug for your power mirrors as Japspec has 5 wire fold in mirrors, and normal GSR only has 3 wire fold in mirrors (easy). You will also need to join the halfcut's 40 odd wires cut at the driver's feet to your existing GSR rear loom. As far as whether its a simple solder on job matching colours up I cannot say. I know matching EVO frontcut to GSR rear loom has different colours and took me hours of fkn headaches on a friend's car :unsure:
At the end of the day even this method can have its drawbacks (as not too sure about the radiator fan control wiring on Japspec GSR either) and its not a 100% compatible conversion.
I still reckon do it right the first time and get Japspec GSR interior & japspec GSR engine looms, or Evo GSR interior and Evo GSR engine looms.
If you can get Japspec GSR or EVO door looms and fold in mirrors, you're laughing.
Put simply, its better to wait for all the looms to come up for sale from the one car and do a full swap over into yours... its the safest bet.

If it were just to run an engine and no cimate control and/or fold in mirrors, then it can be quite simple to do with an engine loom swap/mods.
If it were to have climate control working 100% and/or fold in power mirrors, then you need to have the right interior loom AND engine loom and door looms for the job.
If you want full EVO III electrical features then you're going to need EVO III looms. They have an additional Y-connector under the dash for the extra front and rear fog light switch. They are the only loom out of the EVO I-III with this Y-connector loom.

When I did the EVO III loom converisions in my car with the climate control and fold in power mirrors etc, I waited and got full EVO III looms all round. Saved a bunch of headaches and it all simply plugged into eachother. That guaranteed 100% full compatibility with the Haltech plug and play patch loom for the ECU as well.

Edited by EVO-00X, 08 June 2011 - 03:58 AM.

EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

cc gsr owner

cc gsr owner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
ok ive been struggling last two weekends with this wiring so now i think its time to say i offer a carton of beer to anyone who can get climate control running on my car im considering the harness change but im not confident to handle the job come on everyone beer of your choice up for grabs

Dean

Dean

• Moderators
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC
where are you located? (Please put this in your profile too)
4G93T No More

cc gsr owner

cc gsr owner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
I'm in Adelaide

cc gsr owner

cc gsr owner

• Members
  • PipPipPip