Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WTF is with the admin team

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

THE411

THE411

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationTraralgon
As in the title, what is with the real bright idea of removing the private areas of this forum? It was originally put there so that people could put their rides up in confidence for all of the respected Team4G users to view, appreciate, comment and follow the build-ups them members have going on. It now seems that this now does not apply any more. I for one do not wish for my members ride thread to be published on the internet for all would be theives/vandals and general douche bags to find out details about my vehicle. This only advertises what you have, and what they want. To become a member of the private section was something that not everyone had access to, you had to display a genuine interest in the vehicles, scene and culture to be granted entry. People put up their rides in this area because they feel safe to do so in the knowledge that their peers who will be looking at their thread, do have a genuine interest in the vehicle. People can also display their vehicles in this area without the law peering into what the have done to their vehicles.

Edited by THE411, 09 August 2010 - 09:09 AM.

to4garret

to4garret

Uses thread locker.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA
Team4G is dead dude
HID stands for "High Intensity Discharge", or if you dont adjust them properly, "Hi I'm a Dickhead".

ONPSI

ONPSI

10 second monster

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
i'm sure he means 4gtuner...
FORBIDDEN PERFORMANCE
0433 245 136
Rides:
'95 Genuine Evo III - 310kw - 11.2 @ 129mph SOLD
'95 Lancer GSR - 340kw - 10.8 @ 129mph SOLD

to4garret

to4garret

Uses thread locker.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA
well he is talking about respected users, so i think he might be referring to Team4G.
HID stands for "High Intensity Discharge", or if you dont adjust them properly, "Hi I'm a Dickhead".

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
I'll leave this open for now but if it turns into a total wise-cracking bitchfest it'll be closed immediately.

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

to4garret

to4garret

Uses thread locker.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA
deffinatly appreciate the email from Dean letting us know in advance what is happening, it is great to see the comments and critique’s from the past have been heard and that the transparency of the founders/admin team has improved greatly.

Edited by to4garret, 09 August 2010 - 09:40 AM.

to4garret

to4garret

Uses thread locker.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA
couldnt figure out how to add an edit reason, "will keep my mouth (keyboard) shut for a bit"

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA
i got the email...but personally I dont have an issue with making the private section public.

If I was an admin......i would say to those that do have an issue ......well here is "x" amount of time to edit out those details which you dont want made public. that is if the private section HAS to be public

brian

Edited by BMGTZ, 09 August 2010 - 11:21 AM.

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

milkandoj

milkandoj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationPerth
I really do not agree with this!
I really don't want would be thieves doing car parts shopping on here. We have a lot of new member joining, which is great, and im willing to try help with what Ive learnt on here.
But i only want the longer term members to be able to seem my car thread. As they have been on here for longer hand have been vouched for, not just anyone who has signed up and done an email verification.

If its taken away ill prob pull my ride thread, which is a shame as i do want to be able to look back on where the car has come from.

To the admin team, i'm trying not be crude but i really don't like the idea and im' pretty peeved about it to be honest. Stop changing stuff! The place is great as is!

Ive spent a lot of time on my car and don't want i open for all to see, or i may as well pop the hood in the local shops car park for everyone to walk past and have a gander.

Edited: for spelling not content....

Edited by milkandoj, 09 August 2010 - 10:12 AM.

99% home built for a life time warranty. Engine now needing repair under 'warranty'

Dan /// Astron Boy

Dan /// Astron Boy

Mine goes off-road

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus
I don't know anything of this private section, but I can gather from other forums, and what people are saying here what it's about.

Personally if I was admin, I would not be changing the water simply because the time has come.
If things aren't broke, do not try and fix.

I have been involved with a lot of forums over time, and one obvious thing that breaks up places is big change unless under mass consensus.
IF it has to be done due to a software requirement then that is different.

As said, I do not know the finer details, and perhaps for that matter I should remain quiet.
However, I can certainly read what people are saying and it doesn't seem like an applauded thing, nor one that's been highly requested.

my 2c (perhaps it should have remained 0c) :shrug:

RIP: 1996 RVR SSG Auto.
Great memories on the road, and off.
From Diamonds to Stars.

milkandoj

milkandoj

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationPerth
This forum is one of the few Mitsi forums not over run by retards, where the long term members are helpful not arrogant.
Why does the formula for something that's so great have to keep changing.

I know you admins are tying to take ownership and improve things but i feel like its going too far.

I really dont want my cars specific parts to be open to anyone who signs up, does email verification, and hey presto whats this bloke got?
99% home built for a life time warranty. Engine now needing repair under 'warranty'

Entaran

Entaran

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBallarat, Victoria
I actually took this opportunity to have Dean remove both my public and private members rides to whatever archive section they are moving it to. As I have no intention of updating my members rides (although my car has since come a -long- way) I don't feel the need for every crackhead to look at it and know exactly whats in it.
The 4G63 motor code is street shorthand for dominance. It's automotive Darwinism.

Team4G Founder - NO LONGER AN ADMIN/MOD

Matt_

Matt_

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia
with milkandoj on this.

This is the only car forum I use now, too many "forums" full of know it alls with attitude problems who think they have the only way to do something.
This isn't a forum of idiots, it's a forum of intelligent like-minded adults with a love for cars who don't have ego problems.
1997 RVR Hyper Sports Gear Manual.

boostboy76

boostboy76

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Maybe the new Forum engine doesn't cater for this functionality in the same way the old one did?

I don't know the ins & outs of it all, but as an IT Systems Administrator, I know a cut-over like this never runs as smoothly as it looks on paper.

I wouldn't have thought moving from the old forum engine to this one was a simple straight swap, feature for feature, and all they had to do was import the old data?

Maybe it is that simple? I'm not claiming to be an expert by any stretch, just trying to get members to see the other side of the coin.

It may not be just a matter of enabling the "Private" section either, especially if the new forum engine doesn't have that module or facility,

If the capability for this doesn't exist in the new forum engine, the admins would have to:

1.) Code a custom module for it (and they could quite rightly tell you to go f*ck yourself if you expect that).

2.) Pay the forum engine developers to develop the module (see 1. unless you're prepared to pay for the added functionality)

3) Wait to see if a future release of the forum engine has this functionality added.

As you should have read in Dean's post, there were a number of reasons for the change, it wasn't just the admin team going "f*ck it, let's fiddle around with things for the sake of it".

Edited by boostboy76, 09 August 2010 - 01:05 PM.

BMGTZ

BMGTZ

Grumpy old man from the school of hard knocks

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts
  • Locationsouthside of perth WA

with milkandoj on this.

This is the only car forum I use now, too many "forums" full of know it alls with attitude problems who think they have the only way to do something.
This isn't a forum of idiots, it's a forum of intelligent like-minded adults with a love for cars who don't have ego problems.

hey who are you calling an adult......Im only 52 ! no way I want to grow up yet :)

BRIAN
Black evo 1 full road rego and done properly/legally

I have heaps of parts...but never the one I need.

JSTYLE

JSTYLE

I AM THEEE DYNO QUEEN!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
i got the pm from dean too... i for the same as you Justin, i told them that i did not want my car published either.
oh wells cant please everyone!

Jon
Name: Jon
Current Rides:
My06 Evolution IX 12.11 @ 113mph 252kw (street weight)
1997 Proton Satria GLi (daily)
Previous Rides
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer GSR 4G93T 200kw @ hubs 12.1 @ 115.5mph
1992 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 1 (CD9A) 225kw, 20g, stock ecu, hks 264s 12.050 @ 116.5mph OHH YERRR

Matt_

Matt_

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

hey who are you calling an adult......Im only 52 ! no way I want to grow up yet :)

Hah, I'm 23 and still growing up. :D

Rockabilly

Rockabilly

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • LocationSydney

You young whipper snapper ;)
Cheers !

Matt_

Matt_

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
God now I feel old... if 52 is "young" I'm just a weeee grasshopper.

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
It wouldn't be a change without some controversy. :)

Thing is, we had to make the decision to close the Private section on our own. We did not move your threads without your approval, so if you don't want it visible to the public, just reply to Dean with a "No thanks, I don't want it moved to the public areas". Is that such a hard task? Oh right, of course we need some publicly visible backlash.

The fact of the matter is, when you put a photo or any other information on the internet, it's there for all to see. Just because it is in a Private Section, what does that mean exactly? When a "Private Member" from interstate who you have never met before (who realistically, in real life you wouldn't trust because you don't know them from a bar of soap) logs in and see's a cool car but can't show his friends the thread, you don't think they save the photos and send them to other friends? Upload them to other forums? ..etc?

Not to mention, the supposed vetting system we had for the Private Section was largely flawed too. "I met this guy on a cruise once, he's a good guy, add him to the Private list". We've had Private members scamming our users in the Marketplace before you know. Just because they were nice to your face doesn't mean everyone is a trustworthy character.

In addition to this, as time goes on, not everyone stays here. The admin team changes, the long time members change, the short time members change. Do we keep changing this phantom group to suit the times? No, because then the Private "elders" will hate on us for adding the newbies.

So WTF is with us? Managing a usergroup like this is just another task for the admin/mod team to do, and in all honesty we are trying to minimise the workload that we have. We all have jobs and lives outside of this forum. It's not as quick as writing a post and hitting "Post" for us. We do that and then have to reply to PMs from users that have been scammed, plan upgrades, fix problems, moderate posts, etc.

Anyway I hope that provides some insight into why the decision was made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users