Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need Engineer Cert In NSW

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

REX-ETR

REX-ETR

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hey guys, i need some info or contacts as to who to see to get my cordia certified.

The chassis is a GSL so it came out with the 1.6ltr carby, non turbo..ive dropped a vr4 4g63T into and is there anyway to change the engine numbers at the rta or while getting a blue slip without getting an engineers cert?

If thats not possible..whos a good contact to be seeing to get a engineers cert? Anyone know if T.I.C is still running? prefer someone who isnt too picky, so long as everything is in top condiition.

Thanks fellas
The only way to discover the limits of possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.

FRANK-E

FRANK-E

in the build ;)

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Locationnewcastle

Hey guys, i need some info or contacts as to who to see to get my cordia certified.

The chassis is a GSL so it came out with the 1.6ltr carby, non turbo..ive dropped a vr4 4g63T into and is there anyway to change the engine numbers at the rta or while getting a blue slip without getting an engineers cert?

If thats not possible..whos a good contact to be seeing to get a engineers cert? Anyone know if T.I.C is still running? prefer someone who isnt too picky, so long as everything is in top condiition.

Thanks fellas

i got my car done buy him and he is now off the RTA list so RTA wont except papers from him unless it was b4 he was delelted from the list

he is still doing them but i wouldnt go there coz you'll be forking over money for nothing
FJ20DET gemini (race car) 10.9 @123mph
CC Turbo'd coupe (daily)

REX-ETR

REX-ETR

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Cheers bro, that sux though not the news i was hoping for lol

There's no other way around changing engine numbers if the engine capacity has changed Over 15% more ??
The only way to discover the limits of possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
It would definitely require an engineer certificate and a bit of homework. I went from 1.5 carby CC coupe to 2 litre turbo AWD coupe with a plethora of mods and the upgrade of brakes etc needs to be certified. You'll need to look at the RTA's engineering signatory list on their website here: http://www.rta.nsw.g...si/vsi_dl1.html , in particular VSI 15 for a list of the full engineering signatories in your area. Find the one nearest to you and go and see them and advise what you're doing and what you've done. Unless you're confident that you're doing the right thing, you'll need to speak to them and get them to pay a visit to make sure you're on the right track. Best to find out early in the project before you waste time and $$$ going off on a tangent that will never be approved.

Normal things they look for are that you have upgraded the brakes to suit the power of the engine. In your case the top of the range Auspec Cordia was the 1850c GSR turbo. So as long as you fit the brakes, booster, rotors etc from it you should be OK. The additional 150cc upgrade to a GVR4 2 litre turbo engine wouldnt probably justify a further upgrade, however you will be asked to have a brake test performed in accordance to current ADR test procedures - not only a normal pink slip 40kmh one either, a good engineer should be requesting an 80-100kmh to zero brake test as well.

He will also see whether you have kept all the emissions control devices for the engine you have put in the car. Your car is subject to the emissions standards of the date of manufacture of the vehicle, or the engine, whichever one is newer. As you have put a later model VR4 engine in your car you need to pass the same emissions standards for what year car the engine came from 89-92 (Emissions standard 37/00 for cars between 1986-1996). He'll also make sure you havent modifed engine mounts etc, suspension, chassis and what not. They'll also check your wheel/tyre overall diameter, wheel track etc. Also if your tyres have the correct load rating to suit the new weight of the vehicle.

With aftermarket intake/intercooler and exhaust system you'll need to go for an emissions test for sure, also an exhuast noise level test.

Any other aftermarket components like steering wheel, coil overs, seats etc will need to be proven to be ADR compliant as well.

Steering wheels will need to have back up evidence to prove they are ADR10 compliant and not less than 330mm outside diameter. At this stage only Momo and Isotta are the only 2 steering wheel brands built to an ADR recognised equivalent standard. These 2 brands will also have a manucturer TUV approval number stamped on the backside of the steering wheel to signify the standard it was manufactured at. All other manufacturers/brands require approval/proof of compliance to ADR10.

Seats are another problem people fall into. Again, there will need to be a tag on the seats or at least some sort of 'PROOF' that the seats were manufactured to a certain ADR standard or recognised equivalent standard. Good names like Recaro, Sparco, Cobra, Velo etc usually have websites where proof can be obtained. Believe it or not most of the cheapass Autotechnica seats come ADR tagged already! But for non tagged seats without proof of compliance, they will not be passed. For example my bucket seats were manufactured to meet the ECE/R17 FMVSS207 European Standard which is actually recognised and listed as an ADR3/01 and ADR22/00equivalent standard. Thats only for the seats. They bolted onto EVO seat rails with no modification so the seats were ADR OK, and using the unmodified factory rails was OK. However, if you used custom made or modified seat rails you'll need the engineer to go over them to ensure that the seats and seat anchgorages are compliant to ADR 03/01 standard. Hi-tensile bolts are a must at every point of contact.

Aftermarket braided brake lines like Goodridge for example carry the world standard in braided hoses and packaging indicates they meet the FMV106SS/TUV/ISO 9002 European standard. However, they are not recognised to be ADR 07/00 compliant UNLESS they have a tag on them identifying the brand 'Goodridge' and a seperate waterproof tag on them showing the standard 'FMV106SS'. This is all they require to meet the current ADR as written in black and white. The Australian distributor of Goodridge will try to say imported hoses are not compliant and that they require some special 'anti-whip' collars but there is no mention of this in the ADR. The ADR is written in black and white and as long as it meets these DOT requirements you are OK.

Coil over suspension will need to be proven to meet the technical requirements of a number of ADR's as well. Best to buy something in a BRAND NAME and get the paperwork first to prove what standard it was manufactured to. No proof = no approval so count out all those coilovers that state 'race use only'. Australian made coil overs should be OK provided you get something from the manufacturer to prove it. Under no circumstance are you allowed to weld, cut, bend, or modify the replacement suspension from [complied] manufacturer specs.

Large diameter wheels and tyres is a completely different kettle of fish. Best to read the RTA guildelines on alternate wheels and tyres as explaining it is a long and time consuming task. You'll find that document I posted in the link earlier in this thread. Basically you are limited to the wheel/tyre combo on your tyre placard. If you want to go above this without an engineer cert, you can only fit the wheel/tyre combo of the largest wheel option available in your model range. Say a stock Commodore with 17's can fit 19" wheels as found on the SSV and be considered a minor modification provided the suspension components of both models werent significantly different. If suspension was different then you'll be required to upgrade the suspension and steering components of the car that had the larger wheels. People dont understand that changing things like wheel/tyre overall diameter can seriously effect the dynamics and handling, suspension travel etc of a car. It can also throw out the speedometer and you need to be within +/- 8% to maintain speedometer accuracy with your existing gearbox/speedo cluster. There's also the +/- 15mm overall diameter wheel/tyre combo for aftermarket wheels limit which you will need to have certified by an engineer and ensure that no part of the wheel or tyre comes into contact with any part of the body or suspension during all driving conditions and suspension travel, full lock etc.

I got this shit in my head after assisting friends with engineering their cars as well as my own car. The fact that I also work for the RTA means its stuck in my head and I can write a fkn 100 pages if left alone in a dark room for a while lol

Edited by EVO-00X, 27 January 2010 - 09:17 AM.

AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

REX-ETR

REX-ETR

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks for the very detailed info man. I'm confident in all work that i do on my car to be safe, i've also left alot of things out untill it does clear rego just to simply things. Emissions, not too sure about. Does this just involve having a standard catch can, and what else? ive got a 2.25" exhaust with resignator and cat to keep exhaust sound/emissions down. Brakes are off the AC model cordia, everything that the gsr cordia used in regards to handling i have changed over, not that they will be able to tell the difference by sight.

Looks like ill be giving the penrith inspection a go shortly.. lol

Evo-00x

Evo-00x

4G63T AWD CC COUPE

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationNewcastle
Look at the other post I did recently regarding Emissions testing in NSW and you'll get some tips for passing the IM240 emissions test.
AWD. 2 Litre. GTX3076R 0.82.
330kw atw @ 28psi 98 pump fuel.

372kw atw @ 28psi E85 Flexfuel.
EVOLVED AWD COUPE
WWW.EVOCOUPE.NET

D3bb4

D3bb4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSydney

Look at the other post I did recently regarding Emissions testing in NSW and you'll get some tips for passing the IM240 emissions test.

legend. :thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:(for above post and other advice)

that is all :)

REX-ETR

REX-ETR

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
cheers evo00x - i've also researching a fair bit into the I/M240 test. I found this link which explains everything in complete detail as folled in the link below.

http://www.autospeed...intArticle.html

The Godfather

The Godfather

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast NSW
Kevin Humphrey @ lakesedge engineering in Wyong, give him a call he is pretty fair. If you have a stock computer then you prob wont need emissions testing, so you will only have to pass height and noise tests.

Lakesedge Engineering Services Pty Ltd
Kevin Humphrey
Telephone: (02)43530866
Fascimile: (02)43530877
E-Mail: kevin@lakesedge.com.au
shit talker extraordinaire

Chaser

Chaser

tits and arse man

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCessnock NSW

Kevin Humphrey @ lakesedge engineering in Wyong, give him a call he is pretty fair. If you have a stock computer then you prob wont need emissions testing, so you will only have to pass height and noise tests.

Lakesedge Engineering Services Pty Ltd
Kevin Humphrey
Telephone: (02)43530866
Fascimile: (02)43530877
E-Mail: kevin@lakesedge.com.au

???? Engine out of completly differnet car, bigger engine, fuel injected and god knows what else.... come on mate you know that to cover your arse just get it done anyway....
slowest cc coupe in the build

The Godfather

The Godfather

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast NSW

???? Engine out of completly differnet car, bigger engine, fuel injected and god knows what else.... come on mate you know that to cover your arse just get it done anyway....

he has gone from carby to fuel injected so emissions wont be worse.:rolleyes:

ive been to kev a few times and as long as you arent running an aftermarket computer he doesnt make you go for emissions testing, Its pointless on a stock ecu. if the engineer doesnt make you do it why would you do it? waste of time and money.
shit talker extraordinaire

Chaser

Chaser

tits and arse man

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCessnock NSW

he has gone from carby to fuel injected so emissions wont be worse.:rolleyes:

ive been to kev a few times and as long as you arent running an aftermarket computer he doesnt make you go for emissions testing, Its pointless on a stock ecu. if the engineer doesnt make you do it why would you do it? waste of time and money.

Just another piece of paper to stop the cops sending you for the test.... im going to be doing the test when its standard then when i build the motor... I dont think its a waste of time more piece of mind....
slowest cc coupe in the build

rock_it

rock_it

I'm back .....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationSydney
Call Greg from Autosport Engineering. He is located @ Kirrawee.. Look him up in white pages..

He did my engineering and blue slip..
Moved on from the DSM powered Sonata who put out 238kw @ the wheels .... To a GSR 2.0L that is now engineered .. :wub:

FRANK-E

FRANK-E

in the build ;)

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Locationnewcastle

Call Greg from Autosport Engineering. He is located @ Kirrawee.. Look him up in white pages..

He did my engineering and blue slip..

will rta accept his engineer papers rock it coz didnt see his name on the list?
FJ20DET gemini (race car) 10.9 @123mph
CC Turbo'd coupe (daily)

rock_it

rock_it

I'm back .....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationSydney
Yep... No probs with mine.... He uses an engineer that Oscars approved.. Can't remember his name.. But, I had no problems..

PM me if ya need more information..
Moved on from the DSM powered Sonata who put out 238kw @ the wheels .... To a GSR 2.0L that is now engineered .. :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users