Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Getting an interstate CC GSR reg'd in S.A.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

boostboy76

boostboy76

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
I'm tossing up whether to buy this stock(ish) CC GSR

http://www.carsales....cs=72&silo=1011

..and do the 4G63 conversion once the car is S.A. registered.....

or

Buy a GSR that has already had the 4G63 conversion done.

I know Regency is apparently really clamping down on modified cars being brought in from interstate.:fuuuuu:

I'm pretty sure the stock(ish) auto GSR with the 4G92T will be easier to get through Regency for less cash, in terms of how much I'd have to spend getting it "stock" to get it past Regency (and then fit the 4G63 once registered) than to try and bring in a fairly heavily modded GSR that's already had the conversion done, even if it is engineered?

What do you other S.A. guys reckon? Or better still, has anyone from S.A. actually done this recently with any modified or performance vehicle?

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
Ring regency and ask them for a statement of requirements for a cc gsr that has an engine conversion to a 4g63t.

Explain the situation, that you're looking to buy a car with that conversion and how "it's a fairly common conversion" and they should send it out to you. It will list any supporting modifications that should be made (eg suspension, brakes, etc).

If they are reasonable, buy the car, tidy it up (degrease it!) and make sure any other mods are standard or reasonable, then take it through. They may knock you back, they might not. Depends on the day. It's a stuff around but you'll save more buying a converted one interstate.

evopwr

evopwr

[DIY]

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
a) its auto. there will be more to convert when going manual
B) buying a gsr with a 63t already in it saves time and money.
---

4G63t, AWD, Widebody

Posted Image

---

mrcyborg

mrcyborg

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
there is ment to be a small loop hole i have been told about to get stuff done like that. send me a email here and aill tell you about it : mrcyborg@adam.com.au
1990 lancer gsr 2door(mirage cyborg) well modded 4g61t. for sale
1987 mirage cyborg 4door 4wd. decent mods, looks boring, goes hard. 4g63t e3 hypersport turbo, ecmlink, os giken twin, front center and rear mechanical lsd's launch machine!

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
sturt?

Jonson

Jonson

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Lol, everyone knows Sturt. For some it is lucky.
Jon - Evo VII. Previous cars: Evo VI, Evo VIII, Legnum, E39a VR4, Cordia GSR's. Owner of Driven Motorsport - Adelaide.

mattrat

mattrat

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
whats sturt?

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

Lol, everyone knows Sturt. For some it is lucky.

yeah.. thing is it *may* work. if not, you've just relied on a loophole and then have to go through regency with a highly modified car..

it's worth a crack definitely but i'd just be weary of it.

and if that's not it, pm me please:lol:

boostboy76

boostboy76

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Well I don't know what "Sturt" (apart from the footy team!) is, so unless someone explains it to me it's not going to help at all??

mattrat

mattrat

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
yeh ill be buying a gsr too and if interstate ill need to know too, bring us out of the darrrrrrrrk jonnny boy!

EVO85

EVO85

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Sturt is a police/defect station. Don't quote me on this but I believe that if you purchase a car from interstate, it will require a full VIS at Regency park. If you move interstate, it will just require an identity check.

I'd personally wait until you find the right car rather than purchase the first thing that you see. 4G63T converted GSRs have in the past been advertised for around the 10K mark.

I was going to go down this route and dump my forged engine from the Cordia into a GSR and fortunately was turned off because the first car that I had inspected turned out to be a lemon. Futhermore, I discovered that the conversion isn't as straight as one may think. I don't think that you will have much trouble from an engineering perspective as there isn't a huge power increase from the 4G93 to the 63 variant.

As Jase mentioned, give Regency a call and explain exactly what you propose and they will send you a list of requirements if applicable.
- Evo enhanced Cordia (400 hp track weapon)

- Evo VI (weekend cruiser)

boostboy76

boostboy76

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
What if the interstate GSR has had the 4g63 conversion done, but for some reason the change hasn't been rubber stamped, and the car is still registered with the 4g93 engine number?

I wonder if Regency would even allow me to attempt registering it? I guess I'll have to ring them and ask.

I'd hate to spend 10K on a GSR & not even be able to attempt registering here in S.A. because it fails the basic VIN / Engine number matches?

mrcyborg

mrcyborg

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
im pretty sure if the numbers dont match what they are ment to, it will be instant defecto. even worse if the motor in it is registered to another car!

i spoke to a guy today that bought a car from qld, full mod plated so all legal mods as far as qld transport is concerned, but came down here, they didnt like it and said it would have to be fully engineered buy one of there recommended engineers to be legal here in sa. crap really.
1990 lancer gsr 2door(mirage cyborg) well modded 4g61t. for sale
1987 mirage cyborg 4door 4wd. decent mods, looks boring, goes hard. 4g63t e3 hypersport turbo, ecmlink, os giken twin, front center and rear mechanical lsd's launch machine!

boostboy76

boostboy76

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Great, that means my dream GSR's off my list, unless they guy is willing to go through the hassle of re-registering the car with the 4G63 engine number

That's probably unlikely, as he wants to sell it, not fork out more $!! :(:(:(

Sometimes I hate living is S.A. ---- no GSRs for sale!!! :fuuuuu:

EVO85

EVO85

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
To save the heart-ache, why don't you just find one with the 4G93T engine and just stick with it. Replacing the turbo with a TD05-16g, 3 inch exhaust and boost controller, you'll have a 13 second car. Wasn't that intitially what you were after?

That silver GSR for 9-10K currently in the for sale thread has low km's (relatively speaking) and looks absolutely mint. Anyway, that's what i'd be looking at.
- Evo enhanced Cordia (400 hp track weapon)

- Evo VI (weekend cruiser)

boostboy76

boostboy76

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Yep, I've been looking at that exact car since it was advsertised! 10K is fair bit to pay for a non VR4'd GSR IMO though...?

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
Yeah it would be an easy conversion to get through.. Similar to an SR20 in a CA18 180sx.

a Big 16g or anything stock looking is fine. Bigger injectors is fine. E3 manifold would be fine, etc, etc. So long as it looks stock you shouldn't have any problems. Key word shouldn't. Aftermarket ECU's/MAF's/etc and you'll get trouble. Coilovers.. too bigger wheels, too louder exhaust.. all trouble.

Just buy something that is done tastefully, not for looks yet. Tidy it up really nice. Make it look like it's had OEM modifications only and it should get through first or second time.

Jonson

Jonson

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Brad, when buying an interstate car the car just needs to have an ID inspection, which is straight forward as long as it is legit. They will take he oppurtunity to ping you for exhaust noise, height, tint and obvious engine mods though. So like Jase said....stock LOOKING is good.

Jonathon, if you re adament about running a 63, I would hold off till you find a earyly Evo 1/2/3. This way you never run into headaches with numbers, and police. Or as you've stated just get a clean GSR 93t and drop the 63 in it once you get bored.
Jon - Evo VII. Previous cars: Evo VI, Evo VIII, Legnum, E39a VR4, Cordia GSR's. Owner of Driven Motorsport - Adelaide.

boostboy76

boostboy76

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
Trouble is, Evo 2/3's are selling for just under the price of an Evo 6 these days - (even more sometimes!)

This is fast seeming way more trouble, cash and headaches than it's worth.
Maybe I'll just save up for another 6 months, (I'm selling my house soon too, so hope to make a bit of extra $ from that) and go straight to an Evo 6?

jase

jase

Ye Olde Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337,374 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA
Dude seriously. Just call Transport SA, explain the situation and ask them for a statement of requirements for a Lancer GSR with a 4G63.

Buy a sensible looking one, keep it tidy and as "stock" as you can (all Mitsubishi stuff). Then send it through, get it rego'd and then mod it. It's not as bigger hassle as you'd think. I'd just steer clear of ECU related mods aside from a remap, and if you get something with coilovers/big wheels swap them out for stock gear for the week of the inspection.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users