Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Carbon (?) canister removal

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPomona, Sunshine Coast, QLD
Hi

In the process of repainting the engine bay I’ve removed to the carbon canister, it’s a big ugly unit that’s wasting space and I want to leave it out.

What is the safe/ correct way to deal with the left over hardline going to the fuel tank? Can it be capped off or should it be left open with a filter or something on it? Or should it be plumbed into the intake system, obviously it probably should t have boost pushed down it but I could put a one way valve on it so it gets vacuum?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

poteau

poteau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Canada
I left mine open to vent but when the gas tank is full I got a lot of fumes in my garage. If the gas tank is 3/4 or less I didn’t smell anything.

Do not cap it. The fumes will get inside your car. It’s bad.

Personally, I am hooking mine back up.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
The eco unit is smaller Ian..if that helps?
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

The eco unit is smaller Ian..if that helps?

Oh cool, do you know how much smaller?

I don’t think it’ll ever work properly anyway because it’s no longer plumbed into the intake or rocker cover breather, I wonder if I can just run a line from it to the intake pipe so it always sees vacuum?

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

I left mine open to vent but when the gas tank is full I got a lot of fumes in my garage. If the gas tank is 3/4 or less I didn’t smell anything.

Do not cap it. The fumes will get inside your car. It’s bad.

Personally, I am hooking mine back up.

Yea I did think blocking it off wouldn’t be good, I’ll leave it open and see what happens, if it smells or something I’ll figure it out then.

Cheers

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

Oh cool, do you know how much smaller?
I don’t think it’ll ever work properly anyway because it’s no longer plumbed into the intake or rocker cover breather, I wonder if I can just run a line from it to the intake pipe so it always sees vacuum?

Not sure..dont have a GSR to compare to my Evo!

Edited by evo-gsr, 07 June 2018 - 08:57 AM.

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Missile

Missile

Member No. 00004

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

You have to leave the hard line from the fuel tank open / vented. If you cap it off you end up with vacuum inside your fuel tank which could effect your fuel pump and pressure (that is assuming that your fuel cap is air tight).

Current projects: Mitsubishi ca5a/ce9a awd hybrid
Daily Rip: CE9A Evo II

www.cardomain.com/id/m1ssile

Built not Bought

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
You cannot just plumb the line into the manifold either. It will be a vacuum leak.
Either run the canister or a smaller one. There should be a oneway valve on the piping anyway.
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
Thanks guys, I’ll leave it vented for now and watch issues, I might get one of those little cork breather like 4wd guys use on their diffs and stuff. If there’s any problems I’ll go hunt the wrecker for a smaller one 👍

jack be nimble

jack be nimble

master of none

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • Locationperth sor. 20 mins from brians place
Lawnmower fuel filter. Available in 6 and 8mm
4g93t jumbuck conversion. PRANGED 18/3/12, CHECK MY MEMBER RIDES Page 11. no serious human injuries.
ON THE ENGINE STAND. g4cs 2.4l + Gt35r. PLUS: auto conversion + Awd coming.
thanks for parts and help: BMGTZ, EVOCPE, cwolf, Benozi, Jamo-GSR, 1JUM2NV, RXVII..much appreciated, cheers guys.
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. —Enzo Ferrari
REMEMBER: you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

i'd take the breater tube and plumb it into the air filter box or piping before the turbo this way the vapors are contained in the intake system between runs and will draw the vapors into the engine upon startup. about as close to factory as you can have without having the canister

yes it's me KHUBNER

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Lawnmower fuel filter. Available in 6 and 8mm

Good idea, cheers

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

i'd take the breater tube and plumb it into the air filter box or piping before the turbo this way the vapors are contained in the intake system between runs and will draw the vapors into the engine upon startup. about as close to factory as you can have without having the canister

Yea that’s true, that’s pretty much how it is from stock, just with the canister in between, also the back head breather was T’d into it as well back in the day, maybe I should plumb it into my catch can, then the turbo will draw the fumes out anyway, and they won’t smell at all because the catch can will contain it. 👍

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users