Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Taz's E33A VX-S daily

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

So with the need for another daily as someone hit my commo, ive found this 'barn find' VX-S for just $300. 

I pass it every day on the way to work as its 1min from my house and gave my phone number 6 odd months ago if they ever want to sell it and they finally called me the other day saying they want 300 for it, come and get it. 

She's auto, NA and 2wd so its perfect not to get temped to build a big auto 4wd galant (thank god) so perfect to just enjoy as a daily.

121k on it. No visible body rust, nice and straight, interior is very well kept. One ding on passenger rear 1/4 that looks like a PDR job. No other big blemishes apart from the front bar spoiler needing some attention.

Has been sitting for a few years. Got parked for a number of reasons, but have been told the motor and box ran perfect before it was, and i have no reason or evidence to believe otherwise. Rear brakes are seized as the handbrake has been sitting for that long. Battery in it as youd imagine is no good. Apart from that im hoping a major service on motor and box, some new calipers, rubbers here and there and some TLC and itll be right. And to get rid of those bob jane specials. Dont see why it wont pass a roady fairly easily once its had a once over. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 32234266_10212288288177513_3451526171076853760_n.jpg
  • 32247325_10212288288377518_5879098393229262848_n.jpg
  • 32266561_10212288296497721_7912458687090786304_n.jpg
  • 32289755_10212288287057485_495179217781129216_n.jpg
  • 32205811_10212288290977583_8540634784123060224_n.jpg

CAM280

CAM280

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationAustralia Queensland
Bargain!!!

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
I've never heard of this model but it looks the goods mate. Nice find.

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney
Looks like GSR specs in sedan. Air suspension too.
Nice one.
Brings memory of my old galant GSR followed by VR4
Lancer Evolution 7 GSR '01

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
Gave it another once over today as I towed it home last night. Threw a battey in it. All electrics bar rr Window reg works. Cranks over exceptionally well. Strong starter. Compression sounds good. Didn't try to start it was just curious if it struggled or not but sounded just like if it was running yesterday.
I'm gonna budget a good 2 to 3k to get it roadworthy. More so things to do as it's been sitting. All fluids flushed and replaced from everything. All new seals and gaskets/hoses etc. Struts look replaced just before they parked it. New wheels and tyres. Some cosmetic work but it's gonna remain stock. I hope. We all know I said that with the rvr...

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Awesome. Quite possibly the only one like that in Australia?

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney

Awesome. Quite possibly the only one like that in Australia?

Yeah, never even new they exist.
Lancer Evolution 7 GSR '01

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie

Looks like GSR specs in sedan. Air suspension too.
Nice one.
Brings memory of my old galant GSR followed by VR4

Exactly what I was thinking mate.

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

Import?

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Im pretty sure. Every sticker is in japanese, got the guard lights on it. No import plate though but ive learned that pre 89 they never gave them out so that might be why.

CAM280

CAM280

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationAustralia Queensland
Is it a W4A33 Tax

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Is it a W4A33 Tax

Its a KM175 trans axle code havent checked box code yet.

Ordered the bulk of whats needed today.

radiator hoses, thermostat, heater hoses, radiator radiator cap, thermo fan switch, complete timing kit with tensioner, pump, belts, front and rear pads, pcv, fuel filter, oil filter.

All came to around 620 dollars delivered from sparesbox which is bloody cheap, and they had the service to boot. I do recommend.

Just need to order the things the didnt have, front and rear rotors, auto trans kit and genuine mitsi fluid. oil (looking for recommendations looks like im probably gonna get a 10/40 castrol edge synthetic)

VRS kit for all the little gaskets to refresh the motor and a fuel pump if the new one in the RVR i wrecked wont fit in the cradle.

Hopefully can get this on the road and refreshed for under 3k, gassed up and rego'd but will soon find out. Also found out that she has light hail after a wash =( so either will replace the boot/bonnet or will PDR them and paint as the clear has gone.

Very keen to get it on the road though, i think the rear end on these are sexy as hell and cant stop staring at it. Will be looking into modifying the auto as well, i dont think i need/want an aldo box with paddles etc but at least bump up the pressure and make it a bit more crisp if its feasable.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Ordered a new radiator, auto trans kit and fluid. Gotta be some 'high performance' fluid and not plain old dex 3.

Exhaust studs also.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
Got some rear magna hubs for the 5 stud conversion and some fto rotors. Just need front hubs and rotors and can complete the conversion. Picking up the bulk of what I'm chasing to tidy it up on Saturday with panels/belt etc. Hopefully a few weeks and it'll be ready to be dailied. Can't wait

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

"You have not unlocked this car yet"

Finally rolled the lancer out and the galant in. 95% of the parts are in my hands and waiting so i can get stuck in during the week and get it all in and working.

Attached Thumbnails

• 34877767_10212473684572307_7389187350946906112_n.jpg

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Got one of the rear corners 5 stud converted tonight. FTO rear rotor hats arent deep enough and are wrong so thinking maybe magna rear rotors? Either way cleaned up one of the rims i have and chucked her on anyway to get a feel for it. Thinking a smidgeon more low if the suspension doesnt settle a little lower otherwise it really pulls them off i think. My genuine fakes look good.

Attached Thumbnails

• 35062778_10212475313893039_8919132045553172480_n.jpg

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Put a timing kit through it. cleaned up everything along the way, front of motor is spotless as is the mint condition timing cover surprised thats still good actually. Pulled the exhaust side down to clean the front of the motor, shit everywhere the rocker gasket that was on it is probably factory and 130km old took a few hours and cans of degreaser and a wire brush to clean it all down. Looking shiny again. Gearbox is the same, got it cleaner but not to what i want it too much stuff covering the top. I think im going to pull the motor after all. I mean theres not THAT much more to pull it out and the k frame is bugging me as the paint has come away and theres surface rust on it from sitting for so long. Its ugly and it would be much easier to deal with with the motor out, as well as me doing the intake side of the motor and doing the auto service/engine sump etc. 

Turning into a real resto job. Borrowed a mates carpet cleaner too so ill make sure to give the interior a good go over and get that slight stale scent out and smelling fresh again. 

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Well done. Do it right

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Got the new rear rotors during the week and theyll be going out monday to be redrilled to 5x114.3 so i can finish off the rear end. Easiest way as no other rotor is a bolt on solution.
Doing the front ive found that the RVR hub and the galant hub are strikingly similar with the only real difference being the steering arm, RVR rack end goes in from the top, galant from the bottom. Ive found im just going to press in the RVR hub insert, change the galant outer CV to an RVR one to match it (galant is a smaller shaft) and bolt the RVR twin spot caliper and rotor on. Even dust shields are the same size. Easy enough fix for the front. 

Ordered a few more of the niggly things to get the motor back together(ish) but still need to pull it out to clean the back, inspect/clean the steering rack and kframe properly etc etc. Got a new rear seat setup as mine was that sun damaged i accidently split the seams leaning on it. 

The most important update is ive finally come across the rust ive been expecting all this time. Not in the spare wheel well, theres 0 sign in there even though the boot was under water for an undetermined period of time, but around the seal that seals the bootlid to the body. Ive taken almost all of it out and its really not that bad but the lip the seal sits on is missing in some places now as i couldnt save it. What will be the best way to repair this? Thin metal sheet and bend to countour and weld it in? Theres a few really small holes as well which is what the water got through to the boot but theyre on a flat surface and will be easytto fill in, its the lip im worried wont be a two second fix. Will post pics when i get a chance

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

about tree fiddy to go the front end. just ordered front CVs, rotors, wheel bearings. Have a spare set of RVR front hubs so will press new bearings in while theyre apart. An interesting note i found getting part numbers checked off of megazip is that they have partnered with febest and give febest aftermarket part numbers alongside genuine OEM ones. 

Just need pads and the front end is sorted suspension wise. Struts are aftermarket pedders and are good, bumpstops good boots good not leaking etc so done well there. Just waiting on the rear rotors to be redrilled and thats the suspension/5stud conversion done. 

Not sure if im reco'ing the RVR calipers yet they look a little ugly. I know they worked fine driving the wreck home but still, see what the budget allows i can always come back to them when i have spare coin. 

Got the rocker cover gasket kit in the mail today as well so i just need to order the drive belts, clean up the underside of the car, reseal sump and do the auto service and its just little other things ill find for a roady beyond that and itll be ready to register then go to the panel beaters to get fixed up cosmetically

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users