Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Boden's RVR HSGR

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

BodenM

BodenM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

In the days prior, I had taken it almost up to the 7500RPM limiter to see what it was like (and as expected it really just falls on its face after 6.5k), and that was the same day I started having issues, namely, what we thought was the flex pipe going bad. Also to make it clear I don't blame anyone else, there was no warranty implied obviously, but it's also rather strange for it to fail in this particular manner and so quickly, like Taz said, given it was running great in his car beforehand, and in the week or so prior when it was in mine. At the point of failure I was only at about 3-3.5k, driving normally, which just makes it doubly weird.

Edited by BodenM, 25 February 2018 - 07:03 AM.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Redlined? How do you know this?
Not sure how that could be blamed for causing the failure.

Because he told me he took it to 7500 and it made a pop.

BodenM

BodenM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

When I took it up to 7500 it didn't make any strange noises, just the noises you'd expect when taking an engine up near it's limiter. At the time of failure it was only at about 3-3.5k.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

Redlining an engine once, should not lead to a failure is more what I am getting at.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

CAM280

CAM280

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationAustralia Queensland
So get me up to speed if you will; bought an RVR off an old bus driver who never boosted πŸ˜‚ Followed by you feeling some psi then not 😩 Then getting bugalugs who has had a tormentuous epic adventure, to put another engine and then feeling psi again blowing that engine, classic, I'm getting the feeling that Taz wants everyone to go through what he has gone through? Just saying πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Bam! Cams nailed it.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
Was it still running balance shafts? If so have you pulled the timing cover to make sure that the balance belt hasn’t broken and screwed with the tb?
PS? Redlining it won’t cause failure.
Lean condition also wouldn’t have caused a lockup.
Need to pull it apart and see exactly what the issue is.
I’d drop you other head up to a reputable head builder (not UMR on Moss St!) and have it looked over and new valves and guides fitted then reassemble.
This situation is why I build my own shit.... only one person to blame when it goes bang that way!

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts

We dug deeper, if you turn the crank bolt by hand, the balancer and accessories rotate (and the rest of the rotating assembly does), but the timing belt and cams don't. Valves are also definitely bent, on most cylinders we could put the rockers back on by hand with no tools at all, so now I wait to hear what the go is with putting another motor in (quite likely my old one with new valves, since the bottom end seems ok but the valves are a bit crusty and one has a hole in it), and who's footing what bills, because this motor is quite likely going to need to be completely torn down and rebuilt.

This just tells me that the timing belt is stripped at the crank. I’m betting the the key is ok in there.
Check the timing belt tensioner, bet it’s fucked....

Tim

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

CAM280

CAM280

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I like Brisvegas diagnosis it's logical and something I've always been curious about, always get a new tensioner is the moral of the story

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
The tensioner along with the pulleys and belt was replaced as a kit when it was rebuilt and put in mine. Didn't see the need to replace it....

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
So this is the cursed engine from your RVR, that you had multiple issues with in the past?

BodenM

BodenM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

So get me up to speed if you will; bought an RVR off an old bus driver who never boosted πŸ˜‚ Followed by you feeling some psi then not 😩 Then getting bugalugs who has had a tormentuous epic adventure, to put another engine and then feeling psi again blowing that engine, classic, I'm getting the feeling that Taz wants everyone to go through what he has gone through? Just saying πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜³

Nah man, I just have legitimately the worst luck with cars, any car I touch inevitably turns to shit πŸ˜‚
My first car was a Volvo, killed that, then I got a RAV4, it now burns more oil than fuel, and now I've killed two 4G63s in a month πŸ˜‚
Maybe it's because I hang around too many Subaru owners, the EJ curse is rubbing off on me :P

CAM280

CAM280

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

So this is the cursed engine from your RVR, that you had multiple issues with in the past?

CAM280

CAM280

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Cursed is the operative word πŸ˜‚πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
I had issues with an mls gasket not sealing properly. I had a few issues with the cas which has all been replaced completely. Since I went back to graphite and rebuilt it it has been perfect for the last year or so. Everything was double checked and replaced that even looked funny. Full timing kit. New pistons. Bearings/rings etc etc new tappets new cam and crank sensors. I could go on. Point is it was perfect on 14psi for a year. And was running with 0 issues until it was taken to limiter in his car. I'm not saying its anyone's fault, I'm pointing out a few facts to hopefully prove I didnt sell intentionally or not this guy a bung motor that was doomed from the start. It's unfortunate and until it's ripped apart we won't truly know. He is being looked after and won't be turned a cold shoulder to foot the bill, before I started being crucified on here before it gets said I'm only doing it because of this

CAM280

CAM280

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
🀐🀐🀐🀐

Edited by CAM280, 25 February 2018 - 09:17 AM.

CAM280

CAM280

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I've got one idea for any 4g63t builder. JAFROMOBILE YOUTUBE

CAM280

CAM280

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
🀐🀐🀐🀐

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Just to update everyone, Ive since rebuilt his motor myself and thrown it in free of charge and has been working perfectly for the last few weeks.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts

Good to hear. What was the issue?

Tim

Magnus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users