Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Greetings from Perth, Australia. 1997 RVR Hyper Sports Gear R - Project

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Teknoboi

Teknoboi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPerth

Hey guys,

I've been a member here for a while after i purchased a 1997 RVR HSGR nearly 2 years ago as a project with a mate. The car was cheap, as it had its issues. Paint and body work, and when MAF was plugged in, it would stutter at high boost, kinda like fuel cut past 15psi.  At the time, it was pretty standard apart from the 3" turbo back exhaust, pod filter and electronic boost controller.   When the MAF was unplugged, the thing drove hard.    So after changing MAF's and changing a variety of things, the RVR still drove crap with the MAF plugged in!  Time got short and i had to park up moding and playing with the RVR,  paid for rego and insurance, which is now in total more than what i paid for the car.  

We kinda just left it at a mates house gathering dust.   Finally my mate told me he wanted me to buy him out so i did.  I finally got around to wiring in a evo 7 ecu!  initial googling suggested that there was only a handful of pin changes..... but they were wrong!  i counted atleast 10!  Again it sat alone out the front for another few months, before i got around to wiring up the obd2 port .  At the time i bought a tactrix cable from ali-express for only $37aud.  Came around 2-3 weeks.    Attempted to connect to the ECU to download the current ROM to no luck.        Here's where vr401 came in and has been helping me ever since august of last year. I guess i'de like to take the opportunity to thank him for helping a stranger with 0 posts that joined last year about his success on wiring in an evo 7 ecu.  

Finally a few wire swaps and then onto a wrecker to find a a 12pin obd1 plug to wire in the write wire.   Finally found one after waddling at 3 wreckers in mud for 2 hours.   

Plugged in the Tactrix, and write wire cable.    Opened ECUFlash and downloaded the ROM with success!   A few days later, vr401 sent me a suitable ROM from his RVR suited to my modifications.  

Went for the test upload to ECU.   Using the China Tactrix, Laptop came up with an error saying USB is pulling too much power, following an electrical burn smell.   that was short lived, took the tactrix apart and it appears one of the transistors has burned out.  

Luckily there was an evoscan 1.3u for sale on gumtree so i got the missus to pick that up yesterday and after work i uploaded the ROM to the ECU with no issues.   Now its time to log using evoscan and with the help from vr401, get it running sweet.   Currently its still being hesitant coming onto boost.  

In the mean time, ive changed over the following:

- Work Emotion CR Kai

- momo steering wheel

- fixed windows switch

- sprayed front month black

- evo 7 560cc injectors

- evo 7 ecu with vr401's ROM and help

yet to do

- skyline calipers with evo 3 brackets (unsure if this will fit.. got them cheap)

- oil change on diffs

- clutch when its on its way out

- sand back and respray to gun metal grey

- suspension upgrade - first swaybars and then onto struts and springs

here are some pics, still heaps of work to do, but i think with the progress on the ECU front, im hoping to have a bit more momentum to to focus on getting this done so i can spray it when the weather gets warmer.

IMG_20151208_171326_resized.jpg

IMG_20151208_171349_resized.jpg

IMG_20151208_171354_resized.jpg

IMG_20151210_062837_resized.jpg

IMG_20151210_062906_resized.jpg

IMG_20151210_062915_resized.jpg

vr401

vr401

4G63T

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSydney
Wellcome to world of tuning mate. Enjoy :)
Lancer Evolution 7 GSR '01

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

Nice! Welcome aboard. 

I run 324mm R34 discs up front on mine via a dogbone adapter, easy fitment................. pulls up very well.

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

sinistr

sinistr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationPerth
How’s the RVR going?

I recently sold my white 97 HSG after 2yrs of owning, and will be picking up another one tomorrow.

Maybe setup an rvr meet soon!

RVRHSG

RVRHSG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationPerth

Look like theres a few hsgr roaming around in Perth.  :w00t:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users