Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Viscous Coupling Units: E1-3 vs VR4

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Are the Viscous Coupling Units (VCUs) between EVO1-3 and VR4 the same?

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Time to get rid of that centre diff and vcu. Go locked. A bit more tyre wear but I have been told better to drive even on a circuit....

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Told by whom?

George smashed a 1:27 at Winton in his car with the same gearbox I now have in mine.

That's pretty damn fast!
"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong
I do know that Libero vcu are not as thick as Gsr, Evo and vr4. Last one I made into a vcu eliminator clarified that.
GSR Lancer- JE-73-VO, 11.701@125mph, 1.79 60" and getting faster. No:3 conrod now orbiting the moon.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
From that mongrel box I had? ^
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong

GSR Lancer- JE-73-VO, 11.701@125mph, 1.79 60" and getting faster. No:3 conrod now orbiting the moon.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Thought so......
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Time to get rid of that centre diff and vcu. Go locked. A bit more tyre wear but I have been told better to drive even on a circuit....

no way 

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

DOUGMO

DOUGMO

yoni lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,885 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

do you need a vcu shayne?

GENUINE CE9A evo2 gsr track car
all fabrication BJP AUTOMOTIVE
winton 1:27.4 /// sandown 1:21.5 /// phillip island 1:49.2 /// haunted hills 59.1
/// eastern creek 1:35.4 /// winton short 1:01.4

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Yes mate, I'm wanting to get my hands on one.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Brian has some fancy ones...

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
And Brian wants some fancy dollars for them too....

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

can you not just VCU eliminate and stay open center dif and force 50/50 split all the time?

yes it's me KHUBNER

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong
Yes, but the centre diff is not particularly happy about it.

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Yes, but the centre diff is not particularly happy about it.

hmm i just though the vcu was there to sort of turn the center diff into a sort of limited slip diff so that if a tyre was lifted that all power didn't just spin down there

yes it's me KHUBNER

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

can you not just VCU eliminate and stay open center dif and force 50/50 split all the time?

You can BUT the weakness of the 2 spiders will probably cause a failure. Vcu lockers are usually a temp solution not a perm (2wd dyno etc).

CanadianCD9A

CanadianCD9A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

That's a good way to slay the AWD capability of our cars. On open diffs, the power always goes to the axle with the least amount of resistance. If you have an axle without traction, there goes alllll of your torque. The Cusco Tarmac is pretty much what you'd get; it would behave like a RWD car. Even the stock VCU will bail you out eventually when you're spinning.

I had a Ralliart viscous unit from a Galant VR4, it looked pretty damn similar to the Ralliart viscous unit from an Evo. I'm pretty sure it works just fine.

That said, why do you want a different VCU? Is your Evo VCU worn out? I would think a stock replacement would be worth peanuts.

Edited by CanadianCD9A, 02 July 2017 - 11:46 PM.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I'm just chasing another stock VCU.  I don't see the need/point in eliminating/welding/upgrading the unit, I believe Mitsubishi got it right first time!

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Have ya tried pm-ing Rob (EVO-OOX)
Haven't seen em on here for a while though, I remember he bought a couple off Sam (SKMsport) that were new, might be worth a text or pm ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users