Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Collector question: stock vs modified

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

Hi guys.

The Evo 6 TME for sale at the Classic Throttle Shop in Sydney got me thinking.

If you were to get in a time machine and fast forward to a time when early evos are collectible, would you want one that's modified or completely stock (or just had an exhaust etc)?

Missile

Missile

Member No. 00004

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Stock

/endthread

Current projects: Mitsubishi ca5a/ce9a awd hybrid
Daily Rip: CE9A Evo II

www.cardomain.com/id/m1ssile

Built not Bought

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

^^ 100%.

Would take a stock early any day of the week over a modified one.

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

!Jonzap!

!Jonzap!

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

For personal ownership or investment?

Investment - stock

Personal ownership - I'd prefer a car with bolt on tasteful parts, something that is reversible and would keep the car from looking bland like:

- wheels

- coilovers

- braces

- exhaust

- intake/cooling

but not ok with items like:

- roll cage

- holes in dash from gauges

- wide body

- daggy interior/exterior

If you have a look at a 1969 hakosuka GTR, they would look incomplete without a set of watanabe wheels or trumpets.

Ian91

Ian91

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationPomona, Sunshine Coast, QLD

For personal ownership or investment?
Investment - stock

Personal ownership - I'd prefer a car with bolt on tasteful parts, something that is reversible and would keep the car from looking bland like:

- wheels
- coilovers
- braces
- exhaust
- intake/cooling

but not ok with items like:

- roll cage
- holes in dash from gauges
- wide body
- daggy interior/exterior

If you have a look at a 1969 hakosuka GTR, they would look incomplete without a set of watanabe wheels or trumpets.

Agree 100%

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

Interesting comments guys.

All the mods on my cars are reversible. Just been toying as to whether to start accumulating all the stock parts I don't have for a rainy day.

I think our cars are a bit like Sierra Cosworths. Ie most have basic mods and people like that.

However, if you look at the top prices, its for dead stock low mileage cars. But that's just boring! :D

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

If you have the means to - I'd recommend accumulating whatever stock part you could find.  If you do find yourself putting the car up for sale, you will have a broader market appeal if you can offer the potential buyer the means to "return to stock" if that's what they want.

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

EvoOne

EvoOne

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSydney

If you have the means to - I'd recommend accumulating whatever stock part you could find.  If you do find yourself putting the car up for sale, you will have a broader market appeal if you can offer the potential buyer the means to "return to stock" if that's what they want.

Most of the stuff is getting cheap these days as the buyer pool is pretty slim it seems! 

Given the asking price of the TME at CTS and what another guy on instagram has told me hes happy to pay for a TME. I think early cars seem really cheap. Eg a yellow plate 3 for say $20k or a TME for say $50k?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users