Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Single Scroll vs Twin Scroll Turbine Housing - Dyno Comparison

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I thought I'd put up my latest dyno chart comparing the power and torque curves of my old single scroll turbine housing setup vs my new twin scroll turbine housing setup with some comments around the actual perceived differences in drive ability of the car.

The turbo is a Garrett GTX3076R. The single scroll turbine housing was a 0.82 A/R size and the twin scroll is a 0.83 A/R. The motor is a 2.3 stroked 4G63 on E85 with a 3" exhaust.

In both instances, fuel, timing etc have not been changed.  The only changes were the turbine housings and the exhaust manifold.  The same dump pipe was kept but modified to accommodate the new geometry of the twin scroll manifold.  The boost map was altered slightly to suit the new characteristics of the setup but in both instances max boost was set at 26psi.

The twin scroll exhaust manifold was completely brand new - I did not have the exhaust manifold from the single scroll setup modified to suit the twin scroll.  The new twin scroll manifold was designed and built so that the cylinders would fire into the merge collector in paired pulses and the runner pairs are completely separated all the way to the turbo.  The manifold uses two external 44mm waste-gates (1x each runner pair) that are also completely separate and each have their own screamer pipe.  The single scroll manifold used one 44m external waste-gate with screamer pipe.

It's quite evident from the dyno chart that the power and torque response has improved by upto 600rpm, with a new peak torque of 570Nm at 3647rpm vs the previous peak torque of 550Nm at 4422rpm.  Power output is the same but this was expected.

The change in torque delivery has noticeably transformed how the car performs on the track.  Where I used to keep the car in 3rd gear around the tighter corners and it would exhibit slight turbo lag upon exit, it now "slingshots" out of the same corners in the same gear with absolutely no lag.  Throttle response on each gear change has also noticeably improved and the overall performance of the car feels much better.

It was not a cheap exercise to do the change from a single to twin scroll. The cost of the new turbine housing + the cost of purchasing the additional waste-gate needed to be considered.  The time and cost behind the design and fabrication of the new exhaust manifold was also substantial, however very necessary as a poorly designed and made setup would not have enabled the full potential of the change and resulted in it being a waste of time and $$$$.

However for my application and setup I feel this modification was very worthwhile - whilst the single scroll setup performed well, the twin scroll has made the performance characteristics of the car more suitable for what I want to do with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• Twin vs Single.jpg

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

EV0300

EV0300

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Geelong
Good write up the low/mid range gains are awesome im definitely going to be looking into a twinscroll setup down the road, for circuit and twisties driving its the sort of power delivery that would suit my car best

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Nice write up Shane, After driving the 5 with a twin scroll (obviously, lol) ive been pushing everyone I know to go twin scroll, awesome to see a detailed back to back comparison man, good stuff!

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

FWIW here is the dyno sheet with before/after results.

The manifold is a divided equal length with an ext gate fed from both sides with the gasses kept apart till app 5 mm from the gate and had a bush bearing 3582 with a AR63 turbine and a 11blade billet comp wheel.

The new turbo is a Garrett 3078R with a TS AR82 turbine. the tuning was done by my trusted tuner Rob Chapman both times so same dyno,tuner and max pressure.

https://www.facebook...&type=3

PS I know that 2 gates is considered the best way to go BUT one must live within their means so please no flaming on my single gate set up..

Edited by OLDIE, 05 February 2017 - 01:28 AM.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Link not working for me. I was originally going to stay with a single gate but it was easier for my fabricator to make the setup work with two. The limited packaging space and the amount of time and work it would have taken to make the single setup properly just made the twin gate setup the more viable option.

Edited by ENGINR, 05 February 2017 - 05:26 AM.

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

CanadianCD9A

CanadianCD9A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Wow, thanks for doing this! Great results!

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Sadly I still don't know how to post pics from phone so sent them to a mate who posted them for me on facebook. but lost 30 hp above 5000 and gained 100hp @4000

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Sign up to photobucket. Upload images to photobucket then copy and paste IMG code into your post. Easy as..
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Sign up to photobucket. Upload images to photobucket then copy and paste IMG code into your post. Easy as..

So when are you coming over to give me lessons :)

SIVART

SIVART

CE9A-0000001

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

good to see this , makes alot of sense why the Evo X doesn't really have lag , feels more like a supercharged car 

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

So when are you coming over to give me lessons :)

Anytime you like...I like Jack Daniels...(just saying)
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users