Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

sonata head on RVR need solution ASAP

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Yea so backstory summed up engine troubles in the RVR, opted to go for sonata head to get me out of a pickle. All good head can work just gotta use sonata thermostat housing i was told. 

Get home, stupidly bolt everything back in and realise it cant work. Sonata thermostat housing doesnt accomodate for the water bypass under exhaust manifold, and RVR thermostat housing is completely different bolt and water jacket wise in the housing. So ah...yea anyone here overcome this or know of something i can do? REALLY dont want to try track down another RVR head, fork out a tonne more money and go through the damn process again, can something be done to fit either or here? Maybe make a custom thermostat housing or something similar without being mega $$? Couldnt go more than 500 for a solution, and time is a big factor. HALP.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Custom tstat housing would be the best bet. Got photos?

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
Had of a bit of a tinker today. I'll be using sonata bypass pipe and rad hose, thermostat housing and welding a nipped on for the turbo water pipe. Look like everything clears each other thank God

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Why not tap a fitting into the housing for the water pipe? Couldn't be that hard...
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Tbh i know 3/5ths of f**k all when it comes to modifying. Ill admit i am just a mechanic, anything with a welder/oxy etc etc is beyond my capability. Ill learn one day but i dont have time or equipment to do it now. Figured welding one on like it comes stock would be easier..

Cash waiting in brisbane if anyone wants to come and solve this problem for me tomorrow, otherwise itll just be calling places on monday till someone says yes ill come out and make it work for you (probably for a hefty fee too)

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I couldnt find an rvr thermostat housing with the water feed for the turbo so for a temporary solution I fed the turbo out of a water temp sensor, ya know the radiator hose ones for aftermarket gauges.
And... if ya not doing anything with ya old thermostat cover, do ya wanna sell it to me?

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Im talking about the bypass pipe, theres no provision for the water line from the turbo to go to, so i simply need to put it there, and looks like itll all be solved for now.

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
So.... do you want to sell ya old thermostat cover???

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
I intend to eventually put an rvr head back on at some stage so holding onto it for now sorry mate

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Haha, no worries, commend ya for actually pushing through the b-s man

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

So finally (i hope finished with the installation of the head, anyone else looking to get a quick cheap fix a sonata head can work with a bit of modification.

Gotta use sonata thermostat housing, bypass pipe and lower rad pipe. Gotta add 1 or 2 pipes onto the sonata bypass depending if you have the oil filter housing cooler or not, but 1 has to be added for turbo water line regardless. Also have to add the other water line into the sonata thermostat housing. They have an extra unused sensor in them, so i drilled it out, and steel epoxied a line inside it so it threads in and does the job without hacking the housing. For reference i also drilled out a hole where the bypass pipe needed to be put in and also steel epoxied it in. Sonata head has a few less water jackets, so i wouldnt want to push engine constantly to the limit but for me at least its a temp fix till i can be bothered to find and install another head and put it back to factory. 

Apart from that its not toooo difficult, id only recommend it if you had no other option (for me tight deadline and a reasonable budget) but yes, it can work for those wondering. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users