Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

6 or 7 bolt short block?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

Next year I'll be getting a new engine built. I've decided on a 8.5:1, 94mm stroker with 156mm rods.

The only problem with this combo is in a 6 bolt I have to use an Eagle crank, Manley I beam rods (which are going to be overkill for my 400+ whp target), and Manley pistons.

If I use a 7 bolt bottom end there are several options for crank and rods. Manley makes a crank 2.5 kg lighter than Eagle, and at my power goal H beam rods would be quite adequate and are considerably lighter than I beam.

If I went 7 bolt l'd get the 6 bolt oil squirters fitted. They come off the main oil gallery rather than the crank bearing feed like the 7 bolt does, which also have check valves in their squirters that can hang open.

The main thing that has me see sawing is, for the 6 bolt some people won't touch Eagle cranks and there are 7 bolt crank options several kilos lighter, but 7 bolts can get crank walk.

Which way would you go and why?

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside
7 bolt also doesn't have provision for the front engine mount.
unless you are chasing big power I wouldn't bother building an engine that spins to over 10000rpm for anything under 700whp.
It would be a waste imo.

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong
Stock 6 bolt crank, a decent set of pistons and rods, with some cams 400whp on 98 is easy done. I do have a 6 bolt block complete.... For sale soon.
GSR Lancer- JE-73-VO, 11.701@125mph, 1.79 60" and getting faster. No:3 conrod now orbiting the moon.

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong
Or like Tim said. A decent stock bottom end with the correct head works on e85 will get there. The block mentioned above I was going to do that, so balance shafts eliminated and ready to rumble. 150psi across the board.
GSR Lancer- JE-73-VO, 11.701@125mph, 1.79 60" and getting faster. No:3 conrod now orbiting the moon.

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

I want to do the stroker is to increase the off boost response, and be able to make the power lower in the band so it's more street friendly. But I don't want to do a 100mm crank due to the increased rod angle and associated wear.

I'll admit I do tend to over spec things to make sure it's bullet proof.

ECM Link, 399 MAF, 560cc injectors, 270 cams, TD05-20G @22psi, 3" dump, full 3" mandrel exhaust, intercooler, Fidanza alloy flywheel, 4 bolt LSD, EVO IV brakes, Strut braces, coil overs and sway bars.

doo doo

doo doo

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
You'll need 153mm rods to run a 94mm crank with 2.3 pistons (29mm compression height). Nitto do a 153mm rod for their stroker but its 7 bolt. You can always ask if they'd do a 6 bolt 153mm rod, but get the 22mm pin so you can use 7 bolt piston options. Or you could get in touch with R&R who'll do whatever custom rod you like, but getting pricey there too.

Another thought is that if you bump up the comp ratio you'll get better off boost response, quicker on to boost and more torque lower down. Proper head work will help those things too. Boost will be more limited but with the right headwork you won't need to run as much anyway to get the same power.

Oil squirters in the 7 bolt are the same as in the 6 bolt unless you get the 2g version you mentioned, which I think you'll only find on soem auto rvr's.

If you could find a 6bolt 4g64 with oem crank in it then that'd be interesting......

Edited by doo doo, 03 January 2017 - 12:58 PM.

didn't have time do do it right but found the time to do it twice....

OLDIE

OLDIE

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Have been running a 100 crank with no BS for 3-4 years now with a 7200 limiter and no problems to date.

Lack of $$$ prevented me from a installing 94mm crank.

Eagle make 94 mm 6 bolt cranks  https://www.extremep...cat=1365&page=1

I would also get this done if the budget allows http://www.eaglerod....&id=7&Itemid=27

PS IIRC you can use the 100mm stroker pistons with a 156mm rod for a better rod ratio and less side thrust on piston skirts with the 94 crank.

And when I win Lotto I will have 2 of these 1 in my motor and 1 in a glass case in my man cave, :thumbsup:  :)

http://winbergcranks...itsubishi-4g63/

http://winbergcranks...h-micro-polish/

Edited by OLDIE, 03 January 2017 - 09:04 PM.

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I'm running a 6bolt 2.4L block and a 100mm eagle crank.

Long rods and short pistons.

The other engine is a 6bolt 2.0L block and 100mm stock mitsu crank.

Std length rods and short pistons.

I think for the power you are after, you will be OK with the std 2.0L block and 100mm oem mitsu / Hyundai 6 bolt crank.

Mind you the 7 bolts will be easier to find in Australia.

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

As stated I wanted to do the 156mm rods for the ratio, but I don't really need it. The idea of keeping a good rod ration was just giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

If I use 150mm rods I can use Manley H beams and Manley extreme pistons (.210 9310 pin) to get the right total length. The H beams are about 125 grams lighter than the I beams and are going to be more than I need for a street tune. Plus the H beams are about $300 US cheaper than the I beams.

Once I'm bored with the power I can put on a bigger turbo and crank the boost. :thumbsup:

Edited by LumpyVR4, 06 January 2017 - 05:05 AM.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I've been running a 2.3 stroker (2.0 block with 100mm 6-bolt 4G64 OEM crank) with standard length Eagle H-Beam Rods and CP stoker pistons with 300kw atw with *touchwood* no issues sofar.

90% of the running time this engine has seen has been on the track too.

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

blackvr

blackvr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

I think you are overthinking the " less desirable"  rod angle etc etc. I've built any number of 100mm stroker 6 bolts and 7 bolts. I've yet to see anything detrimental. Mind you, the long rod variants like BAZENG do rev a bit higher before falling off the power. I've got a 4G64 6 bolt  with 156mm conrods, and it revs like a 4G63 88mm stroke engine . Nice torque as well ...

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I'm looking for a spare 2.4l block also if anybody has one or knows of one...

LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationSydney

After a little more research I have settled on Brian Crower 150mm rods. They weigh 580g, which is a little heavier than Manley/Eagle, but if you compare them to these you can see extra meat around the big end and the bottom of the beam.

I also talked to Manley about the pistons and the ones designed for 156mm stroke have sacrificed some ring land meat to allow the pin to move up as far as it has, which I don't like the sound of. There is also the reality that this is my street car so it will be below 7k 99.9% of the time, so while long rods etc are nice, they aren't really necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users