Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RVR HSGR - Maverick Jr

- - - - - rvr hsgr maverickjr awd turbo

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

So got a call from the engine shop today. Head is bent like a banana, almost a good 2mil between cylinders 2+3  and 3+4. Isnt this car just the best? So much for the previous 'reputable' engine shop the previous owner took it to. Least now i can move forward. Needed a head asap, logical solution was to put a sonata head on from work. Got the head down to Wynnum Engine Reconditioners at around 230. Grinded, tested and all ready to go by 430, and stayed back specifically for me because they knew i needed it back as soon as possible so i could fit it for the weekend. (highly recommend them for any brisbane folk)

Couple less water jackets. Different ports - although bigger so ill be taking advantage of that and getting my manifold ported out soon enough, and one 10mm hole in head thats not on the sonata....ill find out soon enough what it was for but cant be anything important by the look. And ill have to use the sonata thermostat housing so bit of fiddling but can make it all work hopefully. Just need to get it back together later tonight and get this damn thing running again before next weeks deadline.

Engine mount and tailshaft rubbers are coming early next week express out of japan. Just need to take these sample bolts down to a shop and get this transfer/slave in correctly. Apart from that its all just putting it together now so light at the end of the tunnel...touch wood

Parabola

Parabola

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
I've got a couple of those long transfer case bolts here you can have. Probably got the clutch slave ones too.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
Went and picked up the bolts needed from Clay. So much education and inspiration in the one car. Thanks again mate huge help for everything. Onwards we march

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Got the bypass modded so i can continue putting it together. Just used a hacksaw, borrowed the outlets off the RVR bypass and steel epoxyd them onto sonata bypass after drilling out the holes needed. Not the prettiest but should hold until i eventually put an RVR head back on later down the road. Just need to get everything back together and get this mount in the post and i should be able to see if this ECU wont care if its now manual.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

So close to being back together completely and one of the very last things is the alternator bracket which i now seemed to have put in a black hole as its nowhere to be found (until i buy another one in which case itll magically re-appear). 
Anyone in brisbane or close to it that has a spare? need to have it ready for work monday (if itll even start that is) so kinda desperate to pick one up asap. Otherwise its pretty much a couple of really little things, and see what happens when the key is turned and hope for the best..

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

MMMMMMM got a bracket, its all back together as complete as can be and at turn key point. Nothing. Answers my question of if an 'auto' ecu can even turn over a manual engine, wont even engage the starter. My next adventure is determining if i need a manual ECU or ive heard i need to cut and join 2 wires or something of the sorts on the ECU loom to trick it into thinking its in neutral to start etc. 

Anyone crossed this bridge? suggestions? 

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
It needs inhibitor switch plugged into loom and locked in park.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Hmm  i spose thats the alternative and easier method to the wire trickey option! Never thought about that. Dont suppose the inhibitor is crossed with any other mitsi's/hyundai's ?? Dont have any auto gear anymore so ill have to find one if i cant get an RVR one

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

RIGHT! so it now starts and runs. Looks like ill need to run sonata fuel rail spacers, seem to be a mm shorter than RVR ones and not quite sealing injectors in. 

neutral safety is figured out and bridged 2 wires and its all how its meant to be, idles fairly well considering fuel issue. Can hear a belt slightly squealing ill need to adjust but apart from that only real thing bothering me is the tapping. Got new tappets in there so its either the injectors i can hear (seems to be coming more from intake side than exhaust) because theyre not sealing in properly and sound is escaping or sonata head uses a different adjustment or something for tappets? Just happy to have it running, gotta take one more crack at it tomorrow with finishing bleeding the clutch and few other little niggly things but definite progress. ITS ALIVE!....again

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Fuel issue sorted. Just gotta bleed the clutch tomorrow after work and nip up a rad hose thats got a slight leak and i should be ready for a shakedown. Fingers and toes crossed!

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Must of spent a good 2-3 hours over the last couple of days trying to bleed this c**t of a clutch but no luck. Tried everything under the sun i could do without a vacuum bleeder, which i refuse to believe is the only method. Not sure if maybe the master is f**ked or something, but i hope not as its 230+ for a master in store or wait an exuberant amount of time overseas. Called 2 dozen "mobile mechanics" to come and have a look/throw money at a fix but half didnt answer phones, the other half just flat out didnt want my business (before i even mentioned what i needed done)...
Its like this thing is punishing me for taking its auto away from it. After punishing me for buying it. Almost spent as much as what don is asking for his 500hp one...

Definitely a love-hate-hate-hate relationship. 

If anyone here thinks they can come and get this sorted in Brisbane name your price, just want this f**ken thing on the road again already

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Feel your pain buddy!!! The amount of times that I have wanted to burn the c/*nt of a car down at times when a simple thing just goes fucked up....
Then its fixed, go for a drive and in love again.
I have to say you must be cursed though. Should be less than a 2 minute job to bleed a clutch. Poor guy.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Im getting a new master on monday. Have a funny suspicion seals are gone in it

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
250+ ex Japan for a clutch master. Went to bhss and got it resleeved for 99. Zinc plated everything new hose, clamps etc and a 4.5 hour turn around. Glad to see they haven't slacked off since I left there a few years ago lol. Putting in tomorrow after work. Hopefully shakedown Saturday arvo

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Sweet! Hopefully that is the last thing mate.

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Shit, thats not a bad price, good to see ya stick through it man, you've done well not to burn it to the ground, lol

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

And in true fashion, bled the clutch, came up primo, went to re-check fluids and it seems that the top thermostat housing neck decided to split at some point. Not sure if because over tightened or not but wasnt hard to get undone, one would not think it was by feel but anyway....just means another days set back while i wait for the gasket to cure. Out of the frying pan into the fire...

17498667_10209330900164661_8162304619101

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
I'd be heading down to 7-11 filling the mower tin with 98 buying a pack of matches and torching the C$NT.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

So thought id take it out anyway gasket has been curing for a good 12 hours or so and on startup got a belt squeal, no big deal just adjust the alternator belt as it was a tad loose. After about 30min of f**king around as the tensioners for them are the worst possible design its fine. Start her up and after 5 seconds hear the top bolt pop out and its taken the thread for the top alternator mount with it. so either new alternator or hopefully enough room to slide a longer bolt and nut on the other side. Without taking it or the motor out. 
Ive also noticed i have another issue of some kind, whether manual conversion related or not but idles fine, soon as throttles pressed it dips then kicks in, sometimes stalling if im not hard enough on the gas. fuel related maybe? i dunno think ill call it a night and try again tomorrow. 

At this point i just expect shit to go wrong with it now, and dont get mad when it does, its just expected. 

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
See post #58

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rvr, hsgr, maverickjr, awd turbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users