Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RVR HSGR - Maverick Jr

- - - - - rvr hsgr maverickjr awd turbo

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

So recently i have purchased an RVR HSGR off a workmate to fill in the gap of the daily with me taking the LC off the road to get serious with it. 

I purchased this bad boy for 3k as is with an overheated blown head gasket. Hoping it might be a simple gasket replacement i ended up with a full rebuild on my hands, as it sat for 6 months and the bore was too far gone to save. We ended up with a 20thou bore, new internals to suit, race bearings, ARP head studs and an MLS gasket. Head is reco'd with new tappets. Turbo had a little play, probably would of been fine but replaced it anyway. Couldnt find a stock replacement for a suitable price so upgraded to an evo TD05-16G while i was at it and had to custom pipe and line it in as the front housing is rotated 180deg from the RVR stock turbo. 

Ended up coming out about 6k in after everything so not too bad considering shes only got 135 on the clock now and its absolutely mint otherwise - straight panels, good paint, mint dash etc etc. Passed a roadworthy straight up no issues.

Have since done a stereo install and taken the spare wheel carrier off with plans to graft a nimbus bar on it and relocate indicators to the body (main reason of starting this thread to keep a record of it for others) 

Auto is a bit shit atm and due for a good service and inspection, however a manual conversion is very very tempting on the wallet...

Dont plan on anything too crazy - not going to sacrifice reliability for performance or do any loud modifications - i.e. no bling wheels, loud exhausts or super low ride height etc. I love being able to work on the car without jacking it up at all. Have never had to jack it even with an engine out. Already been through the cop bait phase and got 27 points in 2 years - quite over that now.

No real other major plans to modify it. Already has a keyless mongoose alarm system in it. Might throw a few vital gauges in it as it has none. Maybe a wideband/fuel pressure/oil pressure combo on the front dash but will be discreet about it. No giant 10 inch tachos in front of the existing one...lol

Will have to take some pics and throw them up on the weekend as the existing ones seemed to have gone astray. 

Looking forward to many years of happy HSGR ownership.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

So yea diagnosing the niggly idle problem turned out to be blow gasket leaking in 1 and rings leaking into 3. Shes f**ked. 

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Motors fucked already??
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Sure is. I had a minor idle problem that wasnt nothing to look at. Last night turned into it wouldnt idle so thought maybe idle speed. Had a nosy when it didnt fix it and sure enough coolant in cylinder 1. Tiny bit of oil in 3 that got past rings. So yea, wasnt put together properly from the get go but what can you do. Cant afford to fix it. Not sure what to do. 

Starion VR4 Derek

Starion VR4 Derek

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBurrum Heads

Who built the engine? Warranty?

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
Well that certainly is shit for you...so much for the many happy years of ownership.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

Bummer man, I feel for you :(

A head gasket is not too hard to fix though if you're mechanically minded, lots of time taking bits of and putting them back on though. Of course, the HG might not be the problem,

it could be the head itself if it wasn't prepped properly. Easy to check and not too costly to fix all things considered, it would be a shame to throw that much $$ away without giving it a go.

I'm heading down to Brissy tomorrow, we should catch up for a chat ;)

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Yea rings and gasket. I got all the work done by a machine shop but got the mate who sold me the car who has put them together multiple times to do it. Whether i didnt run it in properly, was put back together wrong, machine shop fuck up who knows but either way, i have a friend taking care of the bill thank god so itll be booked into the shop to get done first thing next year and im just giving them the car and they can assemble it all themselves and give warranty with it. 

Ive rebuilt engines myself, but nothing with an MLS gasket, obviously theres a learning curve involved. Rings comes down to bad installation or bad luck. Either way, we are a go for repairs and whatever needs to be done so hopefully this time round we will be good to go. 

Sounds good Benzo, PM if youre in the carindale area

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Looks like im chucking in another motor and manual converting it for now to get it back on the road. ill decide what to do with my built motor once its on the road again

brisvr4

brisvr4

• Moderators
  • 4,486 posts
  • LocationBrisbane - Southside

What are you doing with the Auto stuff?

Tim
Dsmlink V3 + E85 :drool: 11.37 @ 131.46 ... still more in her

Remember Kids... Google does not equal research!

Magnus
How much time do you spend in a parking lot with your performance car? If you do a lot of parking lot driving, and hang out in parking lots, chances are you are a ricer, go home and read import tuner. If you’re complaining about noise you should not be modifying your car. You should also consider no longer being a man, please hand in your genitals at the door.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

selling to the highest bidder, which is 750. Dont think that will be topped but feel free to put in a better offer. Best offer before its all out mid week can take it away. 

VR42LT

VR42LT

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
Pretty sure there are rules about that.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
They really only apply if he was to have it in the for sale section AFAIK ?

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I have only gotten as far as advertising on facebook never advertised them on here, was just stating they were up for grabs and if someone wants to PM an offer they are more than welcome

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Engine is out. Box/xfer and diff is out. Buyer picking up on sunday. 

Pedal box and shifter housing sand blasted and painted fresh. Cables installed and everything auto related stripped out. 

Just waiting on delivery of manual gear to start putting all back together.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Been a crazy few weeks, with problem after fix after problem. Final conclusion to this fiasco it seems is the head is getting another shave, block is getting another deck and putting a graphite gasket in, not bothering with the MLS again till i can afford to risk the problems again. Now have everything needed for the manual conversion, with it all going in tomorrow on the day off, with only the head being done monday to put back in, but ill have the car back on 4 wheels and almost running again. Cant wait to get to the end of this all and have some good times

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
What's the issue?Coolant not sealing?

BYBY5L

BYBY5L

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I just went with a felpro gasket and some arp head studs in the rvr, gsr had the same an lasted years,
Hopefully this is ya last hurdle before ya get boosting man, many people would have parted it out an sold up,

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
Wasnt feeling right after 2k km in the run in so I pulled plugs and little oil in 3 and little coolant in 1. Not sure if gasket fault, machine shop fault or installation fault but same end result. Hopefully this time it'll stick.

Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

So most manual gear is in, just chasing a few niggly things to finish it off and put motor in/fire her up. Head is at machine shop, block is done...again. Gone back to just a graphite gasket MLS has left a sour taste in my mouth. Flex plate bolts seized in, resorted to drilling and ez outs in the end after trying everything else. 
Just need gearbox chassis mount (stupidly left mine on the box i sold) 7x flywheel bolts i cant seem to find either under 100 bucks or overseas. Few other little bolts - 3x long bolts holding transfer to box, 2x bolts holding slave to box. Can pop it in otherwise so if anyone here has these items/can help hit us up

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rvr, hsgr, maverickjr, awd turbo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users