Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gearbox install tips - on the ground

- - - - - Gearbox

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

kyle-reece

kyle-reece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationHawkes Bay, New Zealand.
Hey guys just struggling to get my gearbox back into my vr4. Almost seems impossible without a hoist or engine hoist.

I've tried using a trolley jack but I can't seem to wriggle the box around enough to stop it hitting the rear subframe. I've tried bench pressing the gearbox from underneath but still nothing

Just wondering what specific angle does the box need to go in? Should I also remove the passenger side axle?

Any suggestions appreciated thanks.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Definitely remove the drive-shafts.  Have you got the motor supported on an engine brace?  It certainly helps having the ability to manipulate the angle of the engine to help align the input shaft.

‎"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

Cranked

Cranked

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationWollongong
Bench press that mo fo
GSR Lancer- JE-73-VO, 11.701@125mph, 1.79 60" and getting faster. No:3 conrod now orbiting the moon.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Whiskey....cursing....then some more whiskey. And then a few threats towards the car and where it will end up...
Job done.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

66199851.jpg

‎"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

blackvr

blackvr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
When we were using stock boxes in our Rally car, changing boxes was a regular thing in Service park. We used a trolley jack to manoeuvre it up if there were no he men service boys around. What helped were a couple of 100mm long 10 x 1.25 bolts. We used these to act as guides on the back of the block to help slide the gearbox back on square and into the clutch and block dowels.It was a lot easier than trying to use the stock bell housing bolts !

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Thats an awesome tip ^ !
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Yes driveshaft out! Brackets and anything you can remove also out. make sure you don't hang the box off the clutch plate. Ensure the box is always supported by the jack OR dowels / bolts.

Starion VR4 Derek

Starion VR4 Derek

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationBurrum Heads

From memory we had to rotate the G'Box to get it in.. was a bitch to do.

kyle-reece

kyle-reece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
Yeah I seem to not be getting the box at the right angle. It loves getting stuck on the rear subframe haha

White Knight

White Knight

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • LocationGympie
Ha ha ha, good times are remembered here... I have dine this too many times!
I found that having the gearbox slightly rotated towards the radiator initially (to clear that subframe) and then rotate back once cleared is a huge help. And also, having the passenger side of the car slightly higher than the drivers side helps with alignment as well. Sometimes you get it first go, sometimes more jiggling than a Victoria Secret model is required. I usually do it with the passenger driveshaft in place myself, with the wheels off the ground it will generally locate on the spine easily enough anyway.
Best of luck bud.

kyle-reece

kyle-reece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
Cheers mate! I'll give that a crack this arvo

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Yes. The rear is the issue. Angle up, get the box to clear then rotate back. Much easier with an engine hoist.

Ross Cox

Ross Cox

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBrisbane...Northside

I have used a scissors jack behind the block positioned about the starter motor and just squeezed the block forward a bit. I generally have the radiator out.

Trolley jack under gearbox and a bottle jack under the block. There seems to be a combination of angles and it slides right in.

Cheers

Ross

This bloke has the right idea!!

Edited by Ross Cox, 24 December 2016 - 09:45 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gearbox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users