Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Oil Filter Relocation Kits

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

I need to look at re-locating the oil filter on the Coupe due to the new external screamer pipes routing right over its current location, taking the once simple task of changing the oil filter to a whole new level of difficulty!

What relocation kits have people used and what have been your experiences with them?  I don't want to chance this - given how critical it is the oil and oil filter stay where they belong.

Block is a VR4 6-bolt 4G63.

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

any kit that has the plate directly threaded and doesn't have a nut helt in with a washer is a good start. stay away from cast aluminium if you can aswell. mine was both of the above and failed

yes it's me KHUBNER

!Jonzap!

!Jonzap!

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Déjà Vu

http://www.4gtuner.c...late-which-one/

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Fark! 8 years ago.

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
do what i did, remove the oil filter housing. cut the oil filter section off. weld 2 -10 fittings onto it and nobulky plate required. Just purchase a remote oil filter mount and connect your lines.

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Sounds like an interesting proposal.

Benzo4gT

Benzo4gT

Operator

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationThe home of unemployed bogans - Hervey bay,

I would certainly either go down Baza's path or dig into the pockets and get something quality. My HSG came with a remote kit that was U.S.A made and the quality is superb, really solid, great for peace of mind, plus I can buy a top

end Z9 for less than the std undersized OEM filter.

Bit of a tool, and owner of "The Turdis" - Hervey Bay

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Am certainly not going to skimp on cost when it comes to something this critical - the challenge will be finding something that is of the right quality.

JayRome

JayRome

Blurring the line between 1st to 3rd Gen engines....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,958 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Front facing oil filter housing?

Chosen Weapons:
WideBody Galant GSR 4g63 N/A+T Hybrid 1st/3rd gen +AWD
Audi A3 slow POS

bazeng

bazeng

Gday maaaate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,899 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
cb645aa3b86ab2008134b0eda2a29997.jpg

Forward facing that has been cut and welded with -10 fittings.

VIN18M

VIN18M

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSydney
Check these guys out, USA made and speaking first hand their stuff is awesome quality and not stupid expensive...

https://perma-cool.com

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Thread revival for 2017 - looking at one of these kits:

https://www.aeroflow...ories/af64-2042

ENGINR

ENGINR

Wannabe Racer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Bit of an update.  I purchased and installed one of the Earls billet relocation kits.  I had my reservations on this setup, as they use NPT (tapered) threads to seal the hose adaptor fittings to the housings.  However the NPT "technology" has been around since the 1800s(!) so I decided to stick with it and use a good grade thread sealant paste to make it all come together.

Long story short - I had leaks through the thread at one of the adaptor fittings to the housing.  Root cause has not been determined yet, but I suspect I over-torqued the fitting when installing it and split either the fitting or housing.  Was a very very frustrating experience, but like most things with this car - I just had to suck it up, accept it and move on with resolving it.

So I've gone through with the purchase of the Aeroflow billet relocation housings.  This was my original preference as the housings use O-Ring Boss Fittings to adapt the hoses.

Setup has been installed, hoses modified/made to accommodate.  Haven't had a chance to pump oil through it yet, as the front of the car is still apart.

Biggest challenge for me has been getting the hoses to fit amongst the twin screamer pipes and 3" dump pipe, hence the seemingly complicated arrangement using a  90deg adaptor fitting with a 180deg fitting!

Another thing to consider was the ability to put a spanner on the fittings to tighten them.  The -10AN fittings require me to use an adjustable spanner to tighten them, as I don't have a ring/open-ender spanner that is big enough.  This made it quite difficult on the first setup to get an adequate amount of torque on the fittings to tighten them up.  This new setup has made that problem easier to address for adjustable spanner access!

Attached Thumbnails

• oil lines 4.jpg
  • oil lines 3.jpg
  • oil lines.jpg
  • oil lines 2.jpg

Edited by ENGINR, 02 May 2017 - 01:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users