Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hello from Thailand

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

jay1980

jay1980

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationThailand

I am a brit living full time in Thailand

I drive a Lancer cs3a m/t with a 4g18 engine, standard now but I would like to increase the power of my car.

I have not decided if I will boost my existing 4g18 or look into a swap maybe with a 4g93 turbo. 

I would prefer to keep my Manual gearbox. (F5M411). Any advise abould boosting my 4g18 and compatibility with other 4g engines and my gearbox would be most welcome

I would also be looking to upgrade the brakes, suspension and wheels, but want to keep the overall look fairly standard.

I have always been a petrolhead and my last car in the UK was a chipped Audi TT but this type of car in Thailand is not affordable due to tax.

car.jpg

cheers

romeo

romeo

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationLiverpool NSW

hey mate welcome!

id say best option would be maybe upgrade to evo brakes and suspension and maybe get rid of current engine and replace with a factory turbo unit.

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW

pics of ping pong girls not loading...... :( 

[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

jay1980

jay1980

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationThailand

hey mate welcome!

id say best option would be maybe upgrade to evo brakes and suspension and maybe get rid of current engine and replace with a factory turbo unit.

Hi Thanks for the reply!

Is pretty easy to source a 4G93 GDI Turbo unit here from a half cut, but mostly they come from Automatic's. I prefer to drive a manual so would like to retain my manual gearbox. 

Also I have heard it is hard to get much more power out of a 4G93 GDI Turbo due to the way the GDI fueling works. That said even totally standard it gives enough extra power to make driving way more fun. it is also possible to get hold of an older non GDI 4G93, which also may fit with my gearbox but they are rarer, and the disadvantage is it is an older engine.

I understand that if I went for a 4G63 I would need a different gearbox (F5M42 ?). 

I did read the 4G18 can be boosted up to 0.8 bar without changing the internals and give good reliable power on some of the Malaysian forums however. Still not sure which way to go, but leaning towards a swap to a 4G93 GDI Turbo.

My standard Thai spec Lancer actually has good brakes with disks all round but a simple setup with no ABS, was thinking of just going for a rotor and caliper upgrade for the fount brakes, and just putting some performance brake pads in the rear brakes.

Suspension I was thinking of trying to source the setup from a Lancer Ralliart because I will be sticking with FWD, or maybe an aftermarket coilovers like the 'Tein basic' setup, as well as a bonnet strut brace etc and see how the car feels from there.

I am looking to turn my car into a fun car for everyday driving rather than a drag car or a racing car.

cheers

jay1980

jay1980

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationThailand

pics of ping pong girls not loading...... :( 

There is no shortage of beautiful women out here, to be honest the Gogo bar's get boring pretty quick though!

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
I can only imagine the talent that would be there......
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

CLuTZ

CLuTZ

Diamonds are forever....

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,120 posts
  • LocationMelbourne VIC

Welcome mate! My first bit of advice would be to stay away from the GDI engines!

jay1980

jay1980

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationThailand

Welcome mate! My first bit of advice would be to stay away from the GDI engines!

Hi, thanks for the advice, any reason, is it because they are hard to tune or are there reliability issues?

Any suggestions on a 4g engine that would be better and still mate with my existing F5M411 gearbox (4g18 gearbox) ?

any idea if an older non GDI 4g93 turbo would fit? 

A 4g15 MIVEC turbo from a Colt CZT turbo would also be intresting if it would fit my gearbox.

Would love a 4g63t or 4g69 MIVEC (non turbo) but I understand I would need a diffrent gearbox such as a F5M422 for those which would be a more involved project

cheers

Edited by jay1980, 04 December 2016 - 03:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users