Welcome to 4GTuner
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2001 Proton Satria GTi engine problem

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

rickardo

rickardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney

Hi guys.

I have an issue with my daughters GTi ... 

Cars been sitting for a while (few months while away).

Put a new battery in coz it died from no use, anyway, drove it around for a few days and all is fine until out of the blue it started spluttering like it was out of fuel, topped it up and off we went and all was fine for 10 minutes or so, then it spluttered again, and again etc etc... like you briefly shorted out 2 plugs or something ..

It's like a flat spot or blockage on a carburetor vehicle, it will accelerate then die for a second then accelerate and die.

Days later and the problem has gotten much worse now, you can hardly take off from a stand still, slip the clutch it will start to rev then die.

It also only starts at random now, turn the key and it will ONLY JUST idle and run but very rough,sometimes it will start and idle beautifully then next time it wont start.

I can't give throttle anymore, if I do it dies, sometimes I can increase the revs very slowly but then it dies sounding like its flooding.

If you give it a quick blip on the throttle it just goes bluuurh and sucks hard through the aircleaner and dies.

I've been thinking a lack of fuel, like its starving, so I disconnected the fuel supply from the injector rail and turn on the ignition, no fuel pumping (I thought they had an electric fuel pump ?) the only time it will pump fuel is when I actually crank the engine to start it, then fuel flows, but only if I keep it cranking..

Does this sound right, shouldn't the fuel flow when the ignition is turned on, not only when it's cranking.

Seems wrong to me as when you let the key spring back to ignition from cranking the pump stops.

Am I missing something here or is this normal ?

I've also pushed the fuel line back into the rail, cranked it over a few times to fill the rail then pulled the fuel line out of the rail expecting fuel to squirt out from the pressure but it only drips out, hardly any fuel and no pressure at all.

Then, I thought maybe it was just running straight back through the fuel return pipe so I disconnected that to see if it was and nothing is flowing back at all so to me I should have pressure in the rail.

Any ideas guys, or am I looking at the wrong area, could it be coil packs or leads or something..

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

By the way the engine light is NOT coming on to indicate any issues so I doubt diagnostics will help, then again I'm probably wrong ..

Also, the Tacho hasn't worked for ages but every now and then it will, but it's very random ... Just a FYI 

Looking forward to some suggestions ...

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
  • LocationBuddhist Temple NSW
Fuel filter or fuel pump would be my first suggestions to replace.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...
Trust in the master of taxis.... He will set you straight[/quote]

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
As well as removing injectors and having them cleaned and checked.
[qoute name="BMGTZ" post="331212" timestamp="1467451744"]I don't know anything ...

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast
Fuel pump

It normal for the fuel to stop when you stop cranking the pump only runs and primes while the engine is turning/ running how gast did fuel flow it should have pissed out like a running hose.

Also the tach is driven from the power tr unit on the coil braket its the white wire if you want to use that as a start on the tach issue

yes it's me KHUBNER

evo-gsr

evo-gsr

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,379 posts
🤔🤔🤔🤔

Edited by evo-gsr, 26 November 2016 - 09:57 AM.

rickardo

rickardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney

Good point evo-gsr .... I'll get the injectors checked and cleaned while I replace the fuel pump and filter ..

Thanks leadfoot for the Tach info ... I'll see what I can do, maybe it's a fractured wire or something similar .. and yes, when disconnected from the rail the fuel pissed out while cranking .. But then again guys, if if the fuel line is connected to the rail and I cranked it over for 10 - 20 seconds or so, I should have pressure built up in the rail ????

Unless ofcourse the pump is on it's way out and failing under pressure maybe ..

Hopefully the replacements will give me the answer ..

Thanks for the input guys ..

I'll post the remedy when I find it ...

rickardo

rickardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney

Hi guys.

Can Anyone tell me where my Crank Position Sensor is (4G93P) 2001 Proton Satria GTi 

I have been told to check it out, also my Cam Position Sensor.

Injectors have been checked and cleaned, new fuel filter and pump - still the same - no change.

It idles like it has a MASSIVE CAM in it but I cant give it throttle because it just dies ...

Sometimes it will idle smooth for about 5 seconds then idle massively rough or die.

Throttle body has been cleaned too ...

Thanks in advance ...

Rickardo.

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

mitsu or seimens ecu (does it have a big fat AFM with 449 on the sticker ontop) if so that thing on the end of the valve cover directly next to the afm is the cam and crank angle sensor

yes it's me KHUBNER

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

the one in the fartherst circle in this photo

enginebay2_zpse3dd3db3.jpg

yes it's me KHUBNER

rickardo

rickardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney

Thanks leadfoot ...

Do I have a Mitsu ECU

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161204_191411.jpg
  • 20161204_191839.jpg

rickardo

rickardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney

Also, I believe I have a faulty NEW fuel pump.

I installed this clear fuel filter inline after the standard filter before the fuel rail.

I wanted to see if I actually had good flow and clean fuel instead of the black crap that came out of the old filter.

Thing is, after I crank for 10 secs or more the filter fills 1/2 way, and when I stop cranking it flows back to the tank leaving the filter empty.

I disconnected the hose after the clear filter before the rail, cranked the motor, filled the filter and put my finger over the outlet while still cranking to build up some pressure but the fuel stopped flowing (NO PRESSURE build up at all) .... I only lightly blocked it with my finger .... I'm certain the pressure should have pushed my finger off and squirted fuel ???

I should be getting atleast 30 psi I would have thought ...

Time to exchange the pump and try again !!!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161204_191650.jpg

rickardo

rickardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney
Also, is the 2001 Satria GTi OBDII or MUTII or something else maybe ...
My OBDII wouldn't connect,
Thanks again.

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

it's probably mut11 protocol they run the same ecu (sans tune as a gsr)

yes it's me KHUBNER

rickardo

rickardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney

Hey guy's ...

Problem solved ...... returned the "faulty new" fuel pump for another "new" one and bingo, it started up first go.

Running fine at the moment ....

Still chasing the "white wire" Tacho issue, must be a hidden break somewhere, just haven't found it yet, but I will. 

Any idea where I might find/purchase a workshop manual for this thing (2001 Proton Satria GTi)

I've emailed Proton Aust 3 times now for any help locating something but they're not returning my emails (morons)

Cheers

Edited by rickardo, 10 December 2016 - 12:12 PM.

CYBORG-X

CYBORG-X

Advanced Member

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationSt Johns Park
Proton only had hard copys of the workshop manuals, from memory, there is only a dozen sets in aus, and i only know of 2 sets as i was given a set off the man who wrote them.
Which white tach wire are you after??

rickardo

rickardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney
Hi Cyborg,
Apparently there is a white wire coming from the power tr unit on the coil bracket so I need to chase it through to the tacho to ensure a good connection ...
A wiring diagram snap shot would be nice ...
Cheers
Rick

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

here the pinout for the power tr unit

https://www.dropbox....module.jpg?dl=0

ecu pinout (same as evo)

https://www.dropbox....INOUTS.pdf?dl=0

thing change in the body loom so can't help there.

yes it's me KHUBNER

rickardo

rickardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney

Sweet ... Thanks ... Leadfoot

All I need now is a drivers side hand brake cable .... this one is sized big time.

L8TR

leadfoot

leadfoot

• Moderators
  • 3,429 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

handbrake cable 60 bucks new from proton

yes it's me KHUBNER

rickardo

rickardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney

Rang Proton yesterday ..

No cables in Australia (out of stock) 4 to 6 week wait ... 

And get this Leadfoot ........... $175 each .....  :fuuuuu:

They must have gold inner cables or something ... 

If you can them for $60 please give me the number ..... :w00t:  lol

Cheapest I found from various wreckers was $125

Cheers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users